PDA

View Full Version : Sound-off, all you Responsible Abarth Drivers (RADs)

gtntahg
08-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Tell us your most inspirational, responsible driving experience behind the wheel of that beast we call Abarth. Even a driving experience with just a modicum of self-restraint will qualify and has just as good a chance of winning as the story currently in the running for First Place of the Canadian Abarth driver who stopped on the freeway to let a gaggle of geese cross the road, unruffled.

The poster with the most responsible yarn - as judged by a panel of independent granny's chosen completely at random, will receive an all expenses paid dinner two to Furr's Cafeteria, or - your choice! - a full year's paid subscription to I Love Cats.

Let's keep those cards and letters coming. This The Responsible Abarth Driver's time to shine!

Gundy
08-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Giving old Itialian friend in poor health a tire squealing ride down his LONG country driveway
was both responsible and rewarding for BOTH of us. Punched as we hit the bend and the
look on my old friend's face I will never forget. He learned to drive in Italy in a Fiat he hand
cranked to start. WW2 pilot for the USA. Too old to drive now and in poor health.
He wanted to go faster. :-) I refused. I was responsible. For a Hooner.

Tweak
08-24-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm amused by the mention of the geese since about 2 weeks ago I had to stop for a mom and about 6 little ones as they slowly crossed the street...which is very curvy a bit before that time and I was "testing" my suspension and handling. :D

streetsurfer
08-25-2014, 12:57 PM

JackandSue
08-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Our SCCA club heard of a Make A Wish child that wanted to be a race car driver. We were surprised when the family arrived at our race site to see not a boy but rather a beautiful young lady and her Mom get out of the mini van. There was five cars lined up for her to pick from and she selected Sue (driver) and our Abarth. For the next hour she rode in the passengers seat wearing a club t shirt and a shiny white helmet. "Faster!" she hollered as Sue would safely pick up the pace until the young lady was grinning ear to ear. It was a great day for all. It meant a lot to Sue and I as both of our sons had received a MAW also.

DVT
08-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Tell us your most inspirational, responsible driving experience behind the wheel of that beast we call Abarth. Even a driving experience with just a modicum of self-restraint will qualify and has just as good a chance of winning as the story currently in the running for First Place of the Canadian Abarth driver who stopped on the freeway to let a gaggle of geese cross the road, unruffled.
I protest. I believe the driver you refer to was Emma Czornobaj, the Quebec woman who stopped her car in the left lane of a controlled access highway to try to herd ducks in the median. Two people on a motorcycle were killed when they ran into the stopped vehicle. The car she was driving was a Honda Civic. :)

gtntahg
08-25-2014, 02:27 PM
I protest. I believe the driver you refer to was Emma Czornobaj, the Quebec woman who stopped her car in the left lane of a controlled access highway to try to herd ducks in the median. Two people on a motorcycle were killed when they ran into the stopped vehicle. The car she was driving was a Honda Civic. :)

Hmm. Nope. Not the same incident.

cashrc
08-26-2014, 02:18 PM
I missed a squirrel!!

DVT
08-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Hmm. Nope. Not the same incident.

So you're saying this is a Canadian thing, stopping on freeways for birds? Who knew?

gtntahg
08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
I drove to Austin from Dallas in the far *right* lane. Going the speed limit for all four and a half hours of the trip. And at times, I drove 5 - 10 mph under the speed limit just for giggles. Got remarkable gas mileage but not many giggles.

The rest of the week of I've decided to experiment driving my Abarth responsibly by not turning on Sport Mode. Might even mix it up a bit by going from 2nd gear to 4th, and 3rd to 5th just to improve my mileage. I'll have the ESC on to conserve the tires as well. Won't have the radio playing either - it takes a lot of concentration to make an Abarth perform this responsibly.

Lil Blue
08-26-2014, 05:56 PM
Pulled over to shove a turtle over to the side of the road on the way to a friend's country place once..then acted like a hooligan again in the Abarth.