PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hearing anything about the Dunlop ZII Star Specs?

jguerdat
08-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Like it sez...

LittleEvil
08-23-2014, 02:59 PM
I heard they were just released lol. I have the zII's and they are increidable. If they are better than what I have then its a win.

Robert Nixon
08-23-2014, 06:35 PM
a friend said that TireRack has them now, but the other day when I checked they don't come up on the website. Supposedly will replace the Direzza ZII. May not see a Tire Rack review for a few months.

If you're autocrossing in SCCA Street next year, the requirement will be for UTQ rating of at least 200, although I don't know what these tires will be rated, the ZII was 200.

jguerdat
08-24-2014, 06:36 AM
According to TR, the ZII SS has a 200 tw rating, also. They're available in a good 17" size but not so much for 16", which I was hoping to try out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII+Star+Spec

The biggest issue with the ZII is the narrow max grip range. One thing folks like about the Rivals and other tires is their ability to be overdriven and not give up like the ZII. I'm slowly reeling myself in and not charging turns like I had been but a broader range of grip would be appreciated by drivers like me.

nilfinite
08-24-2014, 06:09 PM
You can buy the ZII SS now from Tire Rack. I ordered it but haven't tested them yet. They supposedly stay warm longer in between runs than the ZIIs did.

jguerdat
08-25-2014, 06:54 AM
I wonder if that's a good thing. If it causes overheating, especially with two driver cars, a cooling sprayer would be needed. I don't care about that so much as a broader grip range, though...

nilfinite
08-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah I'm sure it's a balancing act between warming up slowly and getting greasy too quickly. I guess we will see. So far one review on Tire Rack, seems like it'll be a great AX tire but maybe not a track tire.

nilfinite
09-30-2014, 12:14 PM
I bought a set of ZII Star Specs and used them last weekend on the front. So far, no huge surprises. Initially they make a lot of road noise on the freeway but that goes away over time.

Similar to the normal ZIIs, I'm getting a good amount of rollover. Meaning I'm seeing outside shoulder wear below the bottom of the little Triangle. The only difference now is that I used to get a lot of outside shoulder tire as well as inside edge tire wear, now it's just outside tire wear which is a welcome change and easy to fix with more camber.

Although that change might not just be the tires. It might be the 30mm (w/ slats) CPR torsion bar that I'm using vs the Neu F 28mm torsion bar before. Or it might be the height difference, I used to use mixed size tires in the front and back. I used to leave DD tires on the rear which were 205-45-16 vs 215-40-17 in the front), now both the front and back are the same size.

Wear on the tires does seem surprisingly fast with 8 runs on the tires so far. I suspect the Star Specs won't last as long as the original ZIIs.

JackandSue
09-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Most of our SCCA guys are going to the new Hankook SR-3 (2nd version) there rated 200 but the guys at Hankook say there more like 140.

nilfinite
09-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Interesting. I haven't considered the Hankooks for the Abarth yet. There doesn't seem to be a size that works in 17". I might try out the 205-45-16 on the 16" stock wheels. Running RE-11 on them now and they are lasting a good amount. I think I'll probably get close to 19K miles on the RE-11s.

cgpiper
10-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I bought a set of ZII Star Specs and used them last weekend on the front.

How did you actually do, Will? You looked good from the sidelines and the car looked pretty stable, very little squealing (except that one little wide turn later on). The results haven't been posted yet...

nilfinite
10-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Ahhh I don't have the slips in front of me but I remember just breaking the 50s. So 49.7 or 49.8 something like that. Looking at my laptimer, I lost a lot of time at the end of the second straight right before the exit. Could have been more then a second faster if I did that one right.

Surprising how long they are taking to post the results. Usually they are out the next day.

JackandSue
10-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Another good tire and probably the best kept secret in the autocross world is the Federal 595RSR-Racing . I just ordered my second set. I use them as a daily driver and sometimes autocross they are super sticky (almost as good as my Hoosier A6) no kidding! And the price is awesome for a set of 205.45.16 I paid $399 delivered.

doverosx
10-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Another good tire and probably the best kept secret in the autocross world is the Federal 595RSR-Racing . I just ordered my second set. I use them as a daily driver and sometimes autocross they are super sticky (almost as good as my Hoosier A6) no kidding! And the price is awesome for a set of 205.45.16 I paid $399 delivered.

How are they in the rain? I'm seriously considering the RS-3 V2s for daily + autox duty.

LifeByTheMile
10-03-2014, 02:10 AM

So very tempting, especially at that price but their tread wear rating takes them out of the running for Street classes.

nilfinite
10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
How are they in the rain? I'm seriously considering the RS-3 V2s for daily + autox duty.

The RS-3s are compared to the Direzzas all of the time. The ZII usually wins for DD + autox duty because they are better in the rain and they don't need to be hot to have grip.

Robert Nixon
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
My son also got the new Star Specs today for his 99 Miata. Should have an autocross report in 2 weeks

S2500T
10-09-2014, 10:34 PM

I'm with you on this on, and hard to beat for the price. Good for track and daily duty.