PDA

View Full Version : Pop, Sport exhaust set-ups please

Abarthsc
08-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Well I did the rear muffler delete, it doesn't sound too much better, I am looking for a little bit of growl without being too loud, the cars just not fast enough to support it. I guess it's replace the resonator time, any suggestions, sound clips of your car etc much appreciated.
Trying to stay away from a new full exhaust.

snakebite4767
08-30-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm also looking for a nice sound out of my 500 POP. I've listened to a number of the videos on You Tube, and I didn't care for the sound of most of them. However, I did hear one setup that stood out from the rest. It was a Magnaflow 6" round X 14" which replaced the first muffler (resonator?). This can be done pretty inexpensively (Just a fraction of the price) compared to the Outrageous prices that they are charging for the after market Axle back mufflers, and IMO it sounded MUCH better. Of course a larger pipe would help some. I have ordered a stock 500T axle back muffler off of ebay. I plan to use it, in conjunction with a Glass pack on the front and larger pipe. I don't want to mess with my stock exhaust system because I'll have to put it back on for one day every two years to pass the Smog test.

Snakebite

snakebite4767
09-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Finally got the 500T axle back muffler put on. I was going to do it myself, but the pipe is larger on it than on the stock 500 axle back muffler. I tried to use a reducer, but it is a odd size, and I just couldn't enough room under it to wield things my self.. so, I took it to a pro. The muffler is exactly what I wanted to hear. It's louder than the stock muffler, but not so loud that it is obnoxious. I can now at least hear the engine. Turned out to be a good choice.

Snakebite

sscups
09-15-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm also trying to decide on what to do. What did you install in the front muffler/resonator?

Is the stock 500t rear muffler a lot different than the stock Pop/Lounge muffler? I haven't seen one up close.

If you can record it that'd be ideal, either video or just sound...please :) I agree, it is hard to decide what to do unless you want to spend $800.

Thanks in advance

lammie200
09-15-2014, 06:48 PM
The Magnaflow 15088 works well for me. Not too loud but also not really quiet either. It does enlarge the whole piping from the downpipe backwards to 2.25" from the stock 1-7/8". Straight through designed rear muffler. But note that it is only 11" long. I think that MF only makes one 11" long muffler. Once I got the piping the correct length and reworked the tip it has been great. Clearances can be an issue with the piping lengths. $630 no tax and free shipping.

snakebite4767
09-15-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm also trying to decide on what to do. What did you install in the front muffler/resonator?

Is the stock 500t rear muffler a lot different than the stock Pop/Lounge muffler? I haven't seen one up close.

If you can record it that'd be ideal, either video or just sound...please :) I agree, it is hard to decide what to do unless you want to spend $800.

Thanks in advance

They look virtually the same on the outside. The Tips are different and like I said, the pipe on it is larger. If you shine a flash light into it you will see that it is not baffled as much as the stock 500 POP muffler. I did not replace the front resonator although if I decide that I want more sound I can always do it. Coming from a Muscle Car background all of these small 4-Bangers sound ........ well, different. I did have a 1725, 67 Sunbeam that sounded similar. If I can find the time I'll try to get some sound recorded of the muffler.. not sure just how to approach it right off hand. I bought my muffler off of ebay. It had 3K mi on it. I payed $50 + $35 Shipping + $40 to have it installed. If the pipe had been the same size it would have been very easy to swap them out. I tried to do just that using a reducer, but could not find an exact fit and it leaked too much to use. So, I went to the muffler shop and they made a custom reducer and installed it. I can now easily change it back to the stock configuration if I want or need to. As you can see, $125 complete is a LOT cheaper than the outrageous prices that the after market guys are getting for their exact fit, easy swap out mufflers and I have no doubt that this Fiat muffler is of good quality. Remember... there is only so much that you can do with the sound of the engine by just changing mufflers. Sure, you can slightly increase the lower tones with a larger pipe, but NOTHING you can do is going to change that sharp rap of the small 4 cylinder engine, other than adjusting the volume by using various mufflers. It does NOT require that you spend those huge amounts of money to accomplish that task. It can be done with any number of generic after market mufflers, and done at any muffler shop for a heck of lot less than the "Exact Fit" mufflers that are being sold for $500-$1000! (I still find that unbelievable). In fact, you can have your muffler guy build a complete dual exhaust setup for your 500 POP and end up spending less than many of those direct change out mufflers cost.

Snakebite

Tweak
09-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I know you don't completely like your muffler delete but this is my former Sport with a new exhaust tip and muffler delete. I assume yours sounds about the same?

http://youtu.be/iJmwhF11mNc?list=UU3GST7UQ4yJMeI8vk9ZaojA

aelfwyne
09-16-2014, 08:45 PM
I think the muffler delete option on a Sport/Pop just sounds bad.

Wish there was something similar to the magnaflow catback in sound but not in $PRICE$...

lammie200
09-16-2014, 08:59 PM
I think the muffler delete option on a Sport/Pop just sounds bad.

Wish there was something similar to the magnaflow catback in sound but not in $PRICE$...

Buy the Magnaflow 11" muffler. Should run you about $100. Might need to get crafty with the welding since the tubing will be different sizes, but I would imagine that a muffler shop could cut the stock out and weld in the MF in about 30 minutes.

FootScoot
09-26-2014, 07:10 AM
I wasn't liking the stock muffler at all, so I tried the delete first, 2 days later was pulled over and given a warning to fix it, unable to convince the officer it came that way. I did want a little bit of deep tone so went with a Magnaflow 14158 race muffler with a modified Magnaflow 35124 tip. The tip was modified by cutting the inlet flush with the outer layer, then the outer layer cut down by 1 inch to give the muffler tech room to weld it on. All this was done for less than $200 and it sounds great and I have an automatic. You lucky guys with stick shifts would really enjoy this setup. It has a very nice deep growl to it, and it's not loud or obnoxious. The ready made catbacks are ridiculously priced IMHO. I can't imagine paying that much for one. I left the stock resonator on it too.

Venom51
09-26-2014, 08:11 AM
I realize the op doesn't want to spend too much. But, I have to say, this was one of the best things I did to my Sport.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?9814-Buying-New-Exhaust-Comments/page2