PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure warning light issue with studio

scap
08-18-2014, 03:24 PM
I am traveling in Europe and my wife calls telling me the oil pressure warning light is flashing. The manual says (not saying that the manual is always correct) STOP DRIVING until corrected. She calls the studio, they tell her to drive it in. She gets there and they tell her everything is fine that it is only the service reminder and that they are short staffed and to come back Friday. She leaves.
Here is the thing, the service reminder according to the manual should be a wrench, not a flashing oil pressure symbol.
I am a bit worried about her driving it like this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

boostaddict
08-18-2014, 04:06 PM
tell her to take a pic and send it to you so we know exactly what light is flashing.

scap
08-18-2014, 04:23 PM
There is only one pressure warning light. The one that looks like the oil can or the picture in the manual. Flashing red.1374213742

scap
08-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Just for the record. There is no 4 minute chime.

boostaddict
08-18-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm thinking it's just the Generic warning light with the triangle if the dealer is saying its a service reminder. If it's really the oil pressure warning light the dealer should of never had her drive the car.

Rally500
08-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi Scap no worries it happened to me winter driving on highway it was yellow meaning need service if it was red different storie I ck oil level was fine.it s a bit strange systems but it s like that,I did oil change and reset service with turning ignition on and within 10 secs push gas pedal 3 times and your done

scap
08-19-2014, 05:14 AM
I got some additional info from the studio. Apparently there is a known software issue where the system computer triggers the wrong signal indicating service need. Instead of the service symbol it triggers a red flashing oil pressure warning light.
Based on this how do we ever know if we actually have an oil pressure issue which could cause severe engine damage. Everyone is just going to see the red flashing warning and go "ok, time for an oil change" where in reality it could be a major problem. One would think this would be a very easy software fix if it indeed is the cause of the problem and should have been corrected in the first software update. I am not happy with this one.
I never did see any symbol prior to the first service as I had it done a bit earlier than needed to prevent it happening on a 2500 mile trip I was taking the car on. Based on the studio every 500L should have this problem when it is time for service, is that actually the case or do some of you see the actual service symbol come up?
I have just over 13,000 miles on mine now.

Timothy Allen
11-11-2014, 04:48 PM
My 500L just did the same thing. I hit 5999 miles, and the dash started beeping, and in the center it said "Oil Change Needed" and on the right, the oil pressure warning light started flashing. Now when I drove this morning, the oil pressure light is flashing the whole time.

Timothy Allen
11-12-2014, 03:33 PM
My 500L just did the same thing. I hit 5999 miles, and the dash started beeping, and in the center it said "Oil Change Needed" and on the right, the oil pressure warning light started flashing. Now when I drove this morning, the oil pressure light is flashing the whole time.

E-Mail from service manager at Fiat studio: "Yes, There is a Service Bulletin that has been released that does confirm the software update. We can take care of this for you. If you can email be back with an appointment time and date that is at your earliest convience (SIC). "

I reset my oil change reminder and the flashing oil light went off, so I will just get the update some other time.

Rally500
07-25-2015, 09:57 AM
I am traveling in Europe and my wife calls telling me the oil pressure warning light is flashing. The manual says (not saying that the manual is always correct) STOP DRIVING until corrected. She calls the studio, they tell her to drive it in. She gets there and they tell her everything is fine that it is only the service reminder and that they are short staffed and to come back Friday. She leaves.
Here is the thing, the service reminder according to the manual should be a wrench, not a flashing oil pressure symbol.
I am a bit worried about her driving it like this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi everybody my car has been updated and I got my first oil service reminder in the evic message instead of the oil pressure warning light flashing,there's an oil pictograms with oil service due message when you first turn key.
Cool