PDA

View Full Version : Hood vents

btimothy4
08-12-2014, 11:40 AM
So, I have been looking for a bit for a simple bolt on solution to help get some of the trapped heat out of the engine compartment.

While I really like the solutions that are offered from the various vendors, price of these has been prohibitive. I also didn’t want to mess with glues – looking for a bolt on solution that I could tackle in my garage.

I did a bunch of searching and came up with this – these are actually for a Jeep JK – cost was $126 for the pair.

The Fiat hood has pretty limited flat areas and I wanted to get them as close to the front of the engine compartment as possible to keep the electronics as dry as possible. The shape and size fit perfectly in the flat areas.

Hardest part of this is getting the courage to cut the hole – but I did the entire install took about 3 hours taking your time to reduce the stress of once you start you are committed. Be sure to paint all the exposed cuts with paint to reduce the chance of rust.

They come black and I plan on painting them red to match the hood to make it feel more like a “factory” solution. While not the most “perfect shape” style wise the amount of heat it released is amazing. I have a real water temp gauge and it runs about 5 degrees cooler on the highway (170 with vent / 175 without) and about 10 degrees cooler in heavy traffic. You can see the heat vapors rolling out of the hood at lights and when at a stop.

I washed the car and yes, it does get the front of the engine wet – but all the electronics stay dry and you can always a cover on the inside for the really bad rain or snow days if concerned.

I will update after I paint them this weekend.

Alec
08-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Nice budget solution!

Haring
08-12-2014, 12:07 PM
I like how you have it pointing to the rear so hot air escapes. I've been waiting to see a good solution for that vs the ones that are directing air into the engine area.

DIVSAbarth500
08-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Cool idea.

boostfreak
08-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Not my taste but the less heat the better. And huge props for cutting into your hood. I couldn't do that.

Crossfirecat
08-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Cool idea.

Gharbeson
08-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I took the plunge on my little Fiat. I found a nice small scoop - I believe from Eurocompulsion. I had removed my large battery and replaced with a small Braille placed on its side. Withe the new room I built a small insulated chamber where the K&N resides. This chamber is insulated from the rest of the engine bay. A vertical shroud goes upward and meets and seals with the hood scoop when the hood is shut. The nice thing is that incoming air is not coming from the oven that is the engine bay as most others aftermarket intakes are. The downside is doing surgery on the hood but I'm fine with this - not a daily driver. I had big heat soak issues and with a FMIC and this ram air, no longer an issue.

As far as engine bay heat - which is excessive I think your exhaust type vent will really help. When getting my little car for a race, especially WOT events like the Texas Mile I pull off the large gasket that goes across the back of the hood. You can feel the heat escaping on the windshield glass. The gasket comes off and goes back on in 15 seconds. I'll hunt for some pics.13584 13585 these are older. I no longer race with a piggyback of anytype

cy-clone33
08-12-2014, 07:00 PM
I WANT, I have been looking for an affordable solution, NOW I DONT have to fab a set,, If I wanted to place those straight instead of angled would they fit or was the angle necessary to keep them flat

btimothy4
08-12-2014, 07:09 PM
I WANT, I have been looking for an affordable solution, NOW I DONT have to fab a set,, If I wanted to place those straight instead of angled would they fit or was the angle necessary to keep them flat

I believe you could place them straight on the hood (see pic of the outline of the scoop on the back side of the hood) and have the vents pointed out the side, instead of facing rear. I think painting them body color is a must, unless you have a black or gray Abarth. Going to take them off and paint them this weekend.

Sales@roadrace
08-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Love the initiative! We make some Jeep hood vents as well, they've been doing great on the Dart but haven't tried them out on a Fiat yet.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_105_110&products_id=1327

S2500T
08-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Do I spy 17x9+45 RPF1 in the picture (I know not for the Abarth)?

cy-clone33
08-12-2014, 07:56 PM
I believe you could place them straight on the hood (see pic of the outline of the scoop on the back side of the hood) and have the vents pointed out the side, instead of facing rear. I think painting them body color is a must, unless you have a black or gray Abarth. Going to take them off and paint them this weekend.

Tim I meant straight with the vents facing the glass LOL

btimothy4
08-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Ha Ha - my bad! I wanted to mount them that way originally but they wouldn't fit unless you did some surgery on the back support. I was concerned about tearing it up too much.

cy-clone33
08-12-2014, 08:07 PM
THANKS that is useful info, I hope you take it as a compliment when I copy your great idea, thank you for the research time you put into this, I haven't had any luck in my searches and this looks really good

Tim I am about 1/2 way of putting a battery cover out to market, I have some issues to addres as far as mounting etc,, BUT when I do, You can have a freebe if you like, should keep the H2O away from the battery/ecu

It will at least direct the water to a desired area

Crossfirecat
08-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Love the initiative! We make some Jeep hood vents as well, they've been doing great on the Dart but haven't tried them out on a Fiat yet.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_105_110&products_id=1327

Saw those Dart hood vents. Look pretty sharp. Not sure if they'd conform to the 500 hood very well though. Now those kidney shaped vents look like they fit with the curves and contour of the 500 hood pretty well. Last time I looked, you were outta stock though.

btimothy4
08-12-2014, 08:55 PM
THANKS that is useful info, I hope you take it as a compliment when I copy your great idea, thank you for the research time you put into this, I haven't had any luck in my searches and this looks really good

Tim I am about 1/2 way of putting a battery cover out to market, I have some issues to addres as far as mounting etc,, BUT when I do, You can have a freebe if you like, should keep the H2O away from the battery/ecu

It will at least direct the water to a desired area

Thanks Ron!
By all means copy away - thats the idea of this forum - good people sharing ideas (I sent you a PM with a link to where I purchased them)

Would love to take you up on the offer!
Reach out to me and I will be sure to throw some money your way to help cover the cost of all your hard work.
Thanks!

cy-clone33
08-12-2014, 09:53 PM
No money Tim, you came up with a good idea and shared it, plus you mentioned the water issue, I have a solution, you have bought from me b-4 so I would like to make the cover a gift, It most likely will be mid sept before I make everything work with a stock battery, I made it to fit the mini batteries and my mini battery box

I will enjoy just seeing a pic of it on the forum, best sales come from a good review

btimothy4
08-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks again Ron - truly generous. Be happy to post and share with the forum. If its like all your other pieces it will be top notch.

Tweak
08-12-2014, 11:08 PM
I know a few people with large vents in their hoods and at least one of them has used with nice results the following...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-18-oz-NeverWet-Multi-Purpose-Spray-Kit-274232/204216476

Note this hydophobic spray does leave a white residue but it is also great at repelling water. This is mainly an example as there are many choices out there. For those with white wheels they could use these to make cleaning VERY easy and not be as concerned about the residue. (I'd think it'd work well anyway).

Gharbeson
08-13-2014, 10:20 AM
There was a racer on the lift above my car - maybe an old Lotus 7??? Don't remember

Sorry this referred to a post earlier about a tire/wheel lying on the garage floor

btimothy4
08-13-2014, 10:48 AM
I know a few people with large vents in their hoods and at least one of them has used with nice results the following...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-18-oz-NeverWet-Multi-Purpose-Spray-Kit-274232/204216476

Note this hydophobic spray does leave a white residue but it is also great at repelling water. This is mainly an example as there are many choices out there. For those with white wheels they could use these to make cleaning VERY easy and not be as concerned about the residue. (I'd think it'd work well anyway).

Nice find!
I have white wheels too and will give this a try on them

Sales@roadrace
08-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Saw those Dart hood vents. Look pretty sharp. Not sure if they'd conform to the 500 hood very well though. Now those kidney shaped vents look like they fit with the curves and contour of the 500 hood pretty well. Last time I looked, you were outta stock though.

I know we had a carbon one just a couple days ago, unless somebody bought it already. Our carbon parts are made locally and we don't have them all in stock. All the items can be made to order though.

Tweak
08-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Nice find!
I have white wheels too and will give this a try on them

Hope it works out well. Once someone tries it and posts results then we can see others use and enjoy the benefits. If I had white wheels I would test it for the community and report my findings.

btimothy4
08-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Got the vents painted yesterday and reinstalled

Tweak
08-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Got the vents painted yesterday and reinstalled

Nice. I do think the actual mesh grill area in black would look nice and contrast well. Looks nice though as is too!

btimothy4
08-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Nice. I do think the actual mesh grill area in black would look nice and contrast well. Looks nice though as is too!

good idea!

Tweak
08-18-2014, 10:13 AM
good idea!

I hope you do it, should look great and I'd like a vented hood so seeing it works well for me in that regard as well. :)

cy-clone33
08-30-2014, 12:04 PM
trying this now, you have a pair because this is making me nervous

Klasse Act
08-30-2014, 05:03 PM
I always thought a singe scoop to feed the filter some fresh air would cool when running the EC R3T V2 intake, like a cowl scoop. I remember the MINI R53's having something like that in the aftermarket world IIRC.

cy-clone33
08-30-2014, 05:32 PM
well then youll like what I did, washing the car pics in an hour

btimothy4
08-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Turned out great Ron!

NGEN
08-30-2014, 07:49 PM
well then youll like what I did, washing the car pics in an hour

Nice work to both of you. They really look great.