PDA

View Full Version : Throttle response curve

papermaker
07-29-2014, 11:50 AM
I know there is a lot of talk and focus on throttle response for our cars. My sport has some minor throttle response issues that I've always overlooked.

The pedal position/throttle opening curve is not smooth. It has a steep part from abot 0 to 5% pedal travel then again from about 50-55% pedal travel.

It's worse with sport button depressed getting close to a step change vs. curve at these positions in some situations.

Is this normal? Can it be altered to make response curve more smooth?

trevc
07-29-2014, 12:17 PM
I use a SprintBooster and love it. Has three settings, stock, normal and race. I use it on the normal setting and it has made a huge difference to the feel of the throttle.

papermaker
07-29-2014, 08:30 PM
I'd like to try something like that but if the problem isn't electronic it won't help I don't think. Sport mode makes it worse. Not that its a constant terrible issue but I notice it from time to time.

Fiat500USA
07-29-2014, 08:50 PM
If you are looking to make it more linear, I don't know if the pedal boxes would help unless they can be programmed. I think the object of them is to ramp up quickly. I think this non-linear response helps give the car a more lively feel. I can't help but think that having to stomp all the way down on the accelerator pedal would give the car a lethargic feel.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Xre9yxyDjQM/TkAiN9QSlGI/AAAAAAAAIBc/n3B1T4RDEOo/s400/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_US_Dyno_Sheet.jpg

More: Inside
the 2012 Fiat 500 Engine (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/08/inside-2012-fiat-500-engine.html)

papermaker
07-29-2014, 09:22 PM
If you are looking to make it more linear, I don't know if the pedal boxes would help unless they can be programmed.

That's my thinking too.

I notice it especially when in traffic puttering along in second gear and if I just feather the gas it has an almost off/on sensation as though there is no response for the first few percent of the pedal travel then it increases dramatically then levels off.

Maybe injectors are plugging and takes a little more pressure to get some gas flowing?

But I also notice it at about 1/2 throttle too when easing on or off the gas especially going up a hill in 5th gear. Not always but enough to notice.