PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Blanket

500MANIA
07-26-2014, 10:21 AM
What do you guys think about turbo blankets???? I think the idea of keeping the area cool for the intake to shoot cooler air into the turbo and keeping the hot side of the turbo hotter for better performance is magnificent. looking at the temperature tests the difference is crazy when you have it on and off. those 300+ degrees is what the intake is swallowing and pushing to the turbo.

dfwcyclist
07-26-2014, 11:38 AM
I've been considering this as well.

Abarth Five O
07-26-2014, 06:35 PM
A turbo blanket is one of the keys to effective heat management and reducing heat soak. It helped reduce my under hood temps significantly. Don't hesitate, get one and you won't regret it.

Thunderbolt
07-26-2014, 06:46 PM
I think a turbo blanket is a good idea, both to retain the heat on the hot side of the turbo, and to reduce under-hood temperatures. The ones that interest me are the ones that wrap around the turbo, ie. they "look" like a turbo.

http://ptpturboblankets.com/images/home_slider/slider_1.png

gtntahg
07-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Is adding a turbo blanket a DIY, Saturday afternoon kind of project or is it more involved? Just looking at the lack of space around the turbo has me thinking a LOT of nearby things will have to come out just to be able to wrap the turbo.

crankin
07-27-2014, 12:28 PM
I think a turbo blanket is a good idea, both to retain the heat on the hot side of the turbo, and to reduce under-hood temperatures. The ones that interest me are the ones that wrap around the turbo, ie. they "look" like a turbo.

http://ptpturboblankets.com/images/home_slider/slider_1.png

Finding one to fit our little hairdryer is the problem.

opiateESP
07-27-2014, 12:45 PM
The ones designed to fit our car work extremely well. The full wrap arounds are great but you would have to adapt a larger one to fit and the difference between it and the ones for our car will be negligible. One person in the forum has done this already.

Abarth Five O
07-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Is adding a turbo blanket a DIY, Saturday afternoon kind of project or is it more involved? Just looking at the lack of space around the turbo has me thinking a LOT of nearby things will have to come out just to be able to wrap the turbo.
Very ez, should take 30 min to an hour tops.

gtntahg
07-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Very ez, should take 30 min to an hour tops.

Very cool (no pun intended). Thanks!

Dwaynek
07-27-2014, 08:12 PM
have the lava turbo blanket thru 500 madness, works great easy to install!

bomba
07-27-2014, 09:38 PM
have the lava turbo blanket thru 500 madness, works great easy to install!

I have the same. Dropped the engine bay temps noticeably. Living in a hot climate like Miami, makes a big difference.

Purgatory
07-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Been wondering about turbo blankets myself. Is it really that easy to install? Only reason I question it, because there is so little space down there around the turbo. I have fairly small hands, and I can't every get my hands down there without drawing major blood/wounds, lots of sharp edges hidden where you can't see them.

Do they snap on, or how does a turbo blanket typically fit to the turbo? Seen them advertised at Madness, but it seems pricey for what you are physically getting.

bootychickens
07-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Been wondering about turbo blankets myself. Is it really that easy to install? Only reason I question it, because there is so little space down there around the turbo. I have fairly small hands, and I can't every get my hands down there without drawing major blood/wounds, lots of sharp edges hidden where you can't see them.

Do they snap on, or how does a turbo blanket typically fit to the turbo? Seen them advertised at Madness, but it seems pricey for what you are physically getting.

I recently got the lava blanket and it allows me to make three or four blasts before the power goes away (due to heat) (vers maybe two without it). And about the install. It takes all of 5 min minus the stud on the bottom left. You need a swivel ratchet wrench to get to it and your better have REALLY small hands or your never going to get that stud back in there. My wife weighs 100 lbs soaking wet (and has the smallest hands i have ever seen) and it still took her 20 min to get it back in there. Without her I would have had to leave that stud out which is what I am assuming most guys end up doing.

Purgatory
07-27-2014, 11:37 PM
I recently got the lava blanket and it allows me to make three or four blasts before the power goes away (due to heat) (vers maybe two without it). And about the install. It takes all of 5 min minus the stud on the bottom left. You need a swivel ratchet wrench to get to it and your better have REALLY small hands or your never going to get that stud back in there. My wife weighs 100 lbs soaking wet (and has the smallest hands i have ever seen) and it still took her 20 min to get it back in there. Without her I would have had to leave that stud out which is what I am assuming most guys end up doing.

thanks for a good and honest answer. good to know that in advance if I or anyone else attempts to install one

Crossfirecat
07-27-2014, 11:42 PM
I would just like to say, Stay away from those generic blankets all over ebay! I've seen them in person and they are cheap cheap cheap! The one I saw was three months old according to the guy selling it and it was already cracking and coming apart!
I thought I'd found a deal on a PTP on Craigslist at $50 until we met up and I noticed no PTP tag riveted to it. A few questions later and it turns out he paid like 80 bux on ebay for it thinking it was a PTP himself!

Another note, remove the stock heat shield for the best results but, if you prefer going over the existing heat shield, don't bother removing the bottom 2 nuts. The studs are long enough to just add another nut over the top to hold the lower half of the blanket. This will save you a lot of four letter words when the lower left stud comes out instead of the nut coming off! Lol

Thunderbolt
07-28-2014, 03:50 AM
The generic ones on eBay are only around $11-$30 each from the manufacturer's in China, plus shipping. The eBay guys are buying 'em cheap and stacking 'em deep!

If you are buying a PTP blanket (from PTP or 500Madness), you do have to remove the factory heat shield. Read the write-up by PTP (http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=307&product_id=2355) on 500Madness' site about why; it discusses the material, and the theory, and is very educational. Essentially, you do not want an air gap between the blanket and the turbo, which you'd get if the heat shield was still in place.

Haring
07-28-2014, 08:07 AM
I was thinking of ordering one of these directly from the PTP site. Are there any negatives to using a turbo blanket?

Dwaynek
07-28-2014, 08:23 AM
With the lava blanket you are making a direct connection between the turbo and the car body so you do get a bite of vibration when the turbo engages. Nothing bad but you do feel it.

bomba
07-28-2014, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't touch one of the cheap ones from China. They might be the same, and come from the same place, but with the temperatures the turbo gets up to, I wouldn't go cheap on this one. When you first install it, you'll notice a smell from the blanket setting in, and I can just imagine a cheap one combusting on you.

By the way, I'd just remove the heat shield and put it directly on the turbo as I did.

It's a really easy install. Here's a pic from Madness:

http://shop.500madness.com/image/cache/data/PTP/PTPinstalled1-750x563.jpg

gtntahg
07-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Heading over to the Madness site now… Thanks!

opiateESP
07-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Go Lava :D

Abarth Five O
07-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I've had the R/R TB for almost a year. Works very well in reducing under hood temps and heat soak significantly. The oil line sleeve is an added plus for effective heat management. I went another step and installed the R/R DP jacket , also made of Iconel, to sustain more consistent power.
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_119&products_id=1942

Thunderbolt
07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Are there any negatives to using a turbo blanket?
Yes, the blanket will increase the length of time heat is retained in the housing after the engine is shut off.

opiateESP
07-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Yes, the blanket will increase the length of time heat is retained in the housing after the engine is shut off.

This is hardly worth worrying about though. After a hard run, it's good to let the car run for a minute to let the turbo cool down. If the turbo is super hot, the pump will work to cool it down anyways.

gtntahg
07-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Go Lava :D

Nice. I like the polished turbo bracket too.

Thunderbolt
07-28-2014, 06:59 PM
This is hardly worth worrying about though. After a hard run, it's good to let the car run for a minute to let the turbo cool down. If the turbo is super hot, the pump will work to cool it down anyways.
He asked if there were any negatives. :D

You probably already know this, but that pump is for coolant, not for oil. So any oil sitting in there is still subject to coking. And not just to cool down, but to spool down. Not good having it spinning then shutting off the oil flow. lol Just things to be aware of as an educated consumer. A few of us are considering a blanket; there's a thread on our forum about it. I want to check yours out in person when we meet for coffee on Sunday.

opiateESP
07-28-2014, 08:26 PM
He asked if there were any negatives. :D

You probably already know this, but that pump is for coolant, not for oil. So any oil sitting in there is still subject to coking. And not just to cool down, but to spool down. Not good having it spinning then shutting off the oil flow. lol Just things to be aware of as an educated consumer. A few of us are considering a blanket; there's a thread on our forum about it. I want to check yours out in person when we meet for coffee on Sunday.

Yup! That's also why I always let her run for a minute after running her. I put Sunday in my calendar this time so I won't miss this one :D

bomba
07-29-2014, 05:57 AM

Make sure you get the more expensive Lava one.

Also, the Road Race model is really good. I went with Madness, because I was already purchasing a bunch of stuff with them that week.

gtntahg
07-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Make sure you get the more expensive Lava one.

Also, the Road Race model is really good. I went with Madness, because I was already purchasing a bunch of stuff with them that week.

OK, thanks. I've looked at all of the Madness turbo blankets and the Lava version seems to be the right choice.

One more question; I like to keep the engine bay really clean; does the Lava blanket cleanup nice? Looks like it might catch and hold road grime. Very minor point, obviously, given the overall benefits of a turbo blanket but I'm curious none the less.

MADNESS Jason
07-29-2014, 06:36 PM
OK, thanks. I've looked at all of the Madness turbo blankets and the Lava version seems to be the right choice.

One more question; I like to keep the engine bay really clean; does the Lava blanket cleanup nice? Looks like it might catch and hold road grime. Very minor point, obviously, given the overall benefits of a turbo blanket but I'm curious none the less.

I asked Joseph, one of our sales team members, how it has been for him in regards to how hard it is to keep it looking nice and clean and he said that it is not difficult to keep clean. A simple wet rag will wipe it clean and keep it looking nice.

gtntahg
07-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the input. I just ordered the Madness Lava blanket. They had a good video of the install. Looks fairly straight forward (famous last words… What could possibly go wrong?) Will let you know how it goes. I'm going to need a swivel head ratchet for that front, driver's side, lower bolt for sure.

Living in Dallas, getting stuck in traffic on a 105 degree summer day, I can definitely feel the heat-soak effect on the performance of the car. Hopefully the turbo blanket will bring back a bit more pull off the line.

Purgatory
07-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Good choice, let us know the details of the installation, might be helpful to others considering the blanket

gtntahg
07-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Will do.

500MANIATICO
07-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Everyone is Invited cylonA
13230 SW 132 AVE Suite#1 Miami, FL
Starts at 6pm

gtntahg
08-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Got the Lava turbo blanket from Madness today. Will try and post progress picks as I go. Not exactly sure what to do with the oil line sleeve. Anyone got any FHE or a pix of the oil line sleeve installed? ;)

Dwaynek
08-02-2014, 07:34 PM
I installed the lava blanket the oil line sleeve is for the European models. only way to install is to take off the oil line and its not worth the effort. Only issue I found because of the direct contact between the blanket frame and turbo you get some vibration thru the car when the turbo runs

tensleep
08-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Got the Lava turbo blanket from Madness today. Will try and post progress picks as I go. Not exactly sure what to do with the oil line sleeve. Anyone got any FHE or a pix of the oil line sleeve installed? ;)
I am in Rockwall; where are you? I haven't installed a blanket in my Abarth yet, but I can lend a hand, if you need one.

boxerbay
08-03-2014, 09:18 AM
I am right down the street from you on 184 st. I should swing by and check out your shop.
Everyone is Invited cylonA
13230 SW 132 AVE Suite#1 Miami, FL
Starts at 6pm

bomba
08-03-2014, 12:56 PM
I installed the lava blanket the oil line sleeve is for the European models. only way to install is to take off the oil line and its not worth the effort. Only issue I found because of the direct contact between the blanket frame and turbo you get some vibration thru the car when the turbo runs

Not entirely true. You can take a razor and slit the line sleeve down the middle, then slip it over. Zip tie, if you want more security.

gtntahg
08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Got the blanket installed. Took a few progress pix that'll I'll try and post later.

There is a real trick to it - took us a while to figure it out (first time I've really poked around in the engine compartment) but once you've got the short-cut figured out, you really can do this job in no more than 30 minutes.

The only casualty of the install was a 1/4" drive 10mm socket. It's floating around somewhere on that ginormous flat piece of plastic that runs half the length of the underside of the car.

gtntahg
08-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Review for the installation of the 500 Madnes PTP Lava Turbo blanket.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1093.jpg

gtntahg
08-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Review for the installation of the 500 Madnes PTP Lava Turbo blanket.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1097.jpg

Semi stock engine bay. After-market parts from Madness; polished aluminum high-flow intake pipe http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=396&product_id=2126 and HPSI Ram Air Intake hose from Eurocompulsion http://eurocompulsion.net/intakesfilters.htm

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1099.jpg

Remove fresh air intake duct (one 8mm screw). Remove HPSI Ram Air Intake hose (two hose clamps).

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1101.jpg

Pull off the black rubber oil recirculation tube that runs to the oil catch canister (upper right corner in photo). Remove red factory air filter plastic cover (three captured phillips head screws). Pull up on the remaining black air filter housing to access the two screws that hold the turbo bracket (screw driver points at one of the two studs that the air filter housing/engine cover pushes onto). Move the black engine cover housing up and back towards the firewall.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1108.jpg

Remove the two factory bolts (black) and one nut holding the turbo bracket (all 13mm). Remove the three 10mm bolts securing the stock turbo heat shield along the top of the piece. The fourth fastener, lower right, is a 10mm nut. There is a fifth stud bolt on the lower left, also 10mm. This is the "problem" bolt because of lack of space between the heat shield and radiator fan shroud.

gtntahg
08-03-2014, 07:09 PM
As mentioned at the beginning of my review of this install I mentioned that I lost a 10mm socket after it slipped out of my hands when I was trying to remove the stud bolt, lower left of the turbo heat shield. After that fiasco, I decided it might be a good idea to not let that happen again. So, a shade tree solution…

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1118.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1113.jpg

In this picture, the turbo bracket has been removed and four of the five bolts and nut for the factory turbo heat shield have also been removed. The fifth stud bolt is just visible in the middle left of the photo. The trick to removing this "problem" bolt is to unscrew the three bolts (10 mm) that secure the hood latch and push the hood latch assembly somewhere off to the right. This will give you tons more working space in front of the stud bolt.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1114.jpg

Turbo bracket, heat shield and associated fasteners.

gtntahg
08-03-2014, 07:36 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1116.jpg

Installing the PTP turbo blanket. Front left lower stud bolt first.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1117.jpg

Installing the 10mm bolt, lower right. You'll have more room to work if you can secure the nut coming at it from the right side, below the front cross member that holds the radiator shroud/fan. Notice the hood latch has been pushed out of the way.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1119.jpg

Turbo blanket and hood latch installed. I found that once the two lower blanket fastens have been run in, the upper left blanket bolt should be next, then the upper right fastener. Middle bolt last.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1123.jpg

8mm screw that secures the factory fresh-air inlet back in place. The black engine cover/air filter housing and oil vapor line have been pushed back into place.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z234/n2f/IMG_1130.jpg

Job done. The PTP turbo blanket is a very nice quality piece with excellent fitment. After a 30 minute run, I noticed no smells from the blanket nor slight vibration through the chassis as the turbo kicks in.

Overall, I would highly recommend this product - it's actually a fun project.

Golfassassin
08-03-2014, 09:17 PM
I have a question on the need for a blanket. I understand why someone would do this if they change the intake to somewhere under the hood. Would it have any real effect if you are still using the stock CAI?

Thanks

aevansgatech
08-04-2014, 09:18 AM
I have a question on the need for a blanket. I understand why someone would do this if they change the intake to somewhere under the hood. Would it have any real effect if you are still using the stock CAI?

Thanks

Good question. My thoughts are it would actually benefit a stock intake setup the most.

The ability to contain heat will be beneficial regardless of your intake type, and especially for intakes that utilize the stock ram-air boot and stock airbox which are very near to the turbo and downpipe heat sources.

bomba
08-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Nice post. At least your Guinness won't be warm! :clap:

gtntahg
08-04-2014, 02:46 PM
evil_laughter

bomba
08-05-2014, 02:50 AM

Thanks

If you're running a piggyback or other mods with more boost, the heat from the turbo will increase. In my case, the hood was too hot to touch after some spirited driving, and I was concerned about the heat damaging the paint. I'm not a fan of the appearance of the vented hoods, but before the blanket, I was shopping for one.

Rossonero404
08-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Guys, just installed mine yesterday (PTP) and noticed after a short ride to work that the temps under the hood seemed unusually hot, i was very surprised actually. I installed it removing the factory heat shield as per PTP, HOWEVER, why is it that both PTP and RRM have videos showing the install with the factory heat shield still in place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjGkwyTUcY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjGkwyTUcY0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s51k6yms7zM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s51k6yms7zM

Gundy
08-05-2014, 10:30 AM
I left my factory shield in place per RRM instruction.
Their kit comes with longer bolts to facilitate attachment. Stock bolts barely grab a couple of threads
when the stock heat shield stays in place.
Nice under hood temp reduction has been my experience.

nilfinite
08-05-2014, 12:36 PM
The PTP and the RRM blankets are made of different materials.

The PTP should be installed without the shield (not sure why they have a video up with the shield, wtf).

From PTP's website: No extra hardware needed. Turbo Blanket is installed with factory heat shield bolts. For best results, removal of the factory heat shield is recommended, not placing the turbo blanket over the factory shield.
http://ptpturboblankets.com/FIAT-500-Abarth-500T-500L-Turbo-Blanket-Black-000517.html

As for hood temps increasing, that's strange because I can usually touch the turbo blanket after a hot run. I have the lava version. It'll still be hot under the hood, you need a DP blanket and hood vents for maximum temp control.