PDA

View Full Version : ATM Ram Air CAI Installation and First Impressions

shagghie
07-24-2014, 01:43 AM
So first off a few observations about this thing:
*Silicone is uber high quality. It will NOT collapse and is perfectly sized!
*The aluminum washer tank holder is dope, period. Light weight, attractive, and highly functional.
*The main silicone is wider just after the portion that mounts over the turbo inlet; this is to keep the ID as uniform and wide as possible heading into the turbo, while keeping a very snug fit over the inlet.
*The washerbottle is perfectly spec'd and accepts the OEM mini-pump perfectly with zero modifications.
*This is the least invasive intake on the market. The only thing you are altering is a) relieving a power lead wire from a harness a little and b)replacing a tall skinny washer fluid tank with as short fat one. Everything else connects to factory fittings, etc. It's over the top brilliantly designed.
*When installed the ATM logo on the aluminum bottle tray is the perfect height and can be seen through the lower grill area
*The final height of the filter element itself is perfect; not too low to EVER worry about water/vapor-lock, but defo low enough to not ingest all the hot air at the top and back of the engine bay.
*Oil changes will now become a breeze; just pop the silicone off the inlet and fold it over to get to the filter.
*The aluminum tray for the washer bottle is ecoated powder-coat and production units will have a laser engraved ATM logo (vs. vinyl decal like this prototype does)

Installation notes and tips:
*ATM shipped it in 'assembled' form to make it clear what goes where. That said, the do not fully tighten down all the clamps or screws/bolts (this is on purpose so you have flexibility during install). In other words, YOU are responsible for tightening everything down (as always)
*When installing the bracket for the washer fluid tank cap, you'll need to first bolt it into the engine, and THEN bolt the filler cap to the bracket. This is plainly obvious when you go to do it, but knowing ahead of time might save you 5 mins of figuring it out
*The green wire that powers the washer fluid pump has JUST enough slack to make it to the new lower pump location. To cut it some slack, trace it back up to the larger harness array that goes along the passenger's side of the engine bay wall. If you unclip two harness clamps from the sidewall of the engine bay, you will afford even more slack and you are good to go. NO NEED to cut/splice/extend any wiring at all, in other words. This is shown in the video.
*You don't need to, but it is easier to work on everything if you jack the front of the car up on jack stands on either side. Saves your back and makes the parts down lower 'eye level' when you sit on the ground.
*When you first take the OEM washer fluid bottle out, the pump might not come with it and pop out (like it is designed to do easily). This will get you wet if that happens (it happens to me in the video). No big deal and it cleans up well (it's washer fluid after all). Easy to avoid if you are looking out for it too.
*The entire install took one hour and that was including both taking videos as well as un-installing the ATM HCI CAI I had in previously, including replacing the lower cowl with a new one, etc. You can conceivably get this install done in 30-45 minutes if you move along, and aren't worried about videos, measuring silicone, etc.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
*The sound. It is perfect. Without the HCI, I can now hear the borla/neu-f exhaust better, and there is no turbo whistle at WOT that dominates the soundscape now. That said, you DO hear the whistle outside of the car, even MORE than with the HCI. I'm also pushing 25lbs sustained boost now so that makes a big difference). In short, this intake is the ONLY intake I know of that is a ZERO COMPROMISE intake..all the sounds are there, but not as invasive as with the HCI. Personally I will miss the HCI turbo sonata...but most people i think will MUCH prefer the soundscape of this new Ram Air intake.
*The throttle response: This is what hits you the hardest. If you so much as think about going faster, the car almost beats you to it. It feels like the direct throttle linkage to the twin Webbers on my pop's '72 124 Abarth Sportcoupe. Even before the boost curve kicks in, the car begins to move forward.
*Air flow: Short tube with very gradual bend with a venturi on the filter side pretty much knocks it out of the park. Cool, laminar air flow directly into the turbo inlet... you feel it in the response, and when you are WOT, there is a ton of air from 5500rpm up to limiter.
*Filter: slightly smaller than the HCI's obscenely large filter, but still has massive surface area. Given all the ambient space around the filter, you get really great response. The Filter on this intake is still over-spec'd for our engines, even tuned to 240hp+, you are not going to run out of air.

Summary:
*Super fast and easy (and satisfying!) install. Everything "just fits/just works". The word "eloquent" comes to mind first.
*Performance... butt dyno is off the charts happy. The HCI has met its match, finally.
*No-brainer: short tube, laminar air flow, potential for high pressure at speed, cool air, protected from elements, high-quality silicone, straight-forward design.

What this intake does NOT do:
*sit up high in the back of the engine bay where all the heat goes
*have a mile of plumbing just to get the cold air to the turbo inlet
*route anything over the turbine
*fill the cabin with chipmunk zombie whistle missiles
*clutter the engine bay with unnecessary hardware, plumbing, connectors, shields, bling-for-sake-of-bling, or anything else. It creates even more empty space at the top of the engine bay under the hood to give the heat somewhere to go until it can egress

Final Score: 10/10

I did not find a single fault and even trying hard to imagine one, I just can't think of one. It is the best of all worlds, and it is about time we get zero-compromise intake for our tuned applications. Hats off to the fellas at ATM for designing and testing this in the middle of winter in a freezing cold garage in New Jersey. We are lucky to have you in the community, and I'm just going to say it out loud: My car has finally unlocked FULL BEAST MODE!

Here's the install video and some pics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFXGtcdNZ4

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/96C03EED-9DA4-4AB9-91A9-EDAD8DF073A7.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/96C03EED-9DA4-4AB9-91A9-EDAD8DF073A7.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/e748962d-6733-4505-8fc3-c77ae215b1ad.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/e748962d-6733-4505-8fc3-c77ae215b1ad.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/85E46E3D-78CE-48CD-A480-470A23E629F1.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/85E46E3D-78CE-48CD-A480-470A23E629F1.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/DF84AF14-D4EF-4D4F-B571-D59BB13896ED.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/DF84AF14-D4EF-4D4F-B571-D59BB13896ED.jpg.html)

Pelican case foam in side vent:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/4126695B-22C3-4B11-962E-6E101799594E.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/4126695B-22C3-4B11-962E-6E101799594E.jpg.html)

backside of same:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/E8F70E93-AF64-4532-8E5E-B1CC32A498D6.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/E8F70E93-AF64-4532-8E5E-B1CC32A498D6.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/A65E83AF-95EB-4255-B40B-AC7B8D183AA5.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/A65E83AF-95EB-4255-B40B-AC7B8D183AA5.jpg.html)

Crossfirecat
07-24-2014, 02:18 AM
Great write up! Waiting for ATM to start taking orders is killing me! Enjoy it you lucky dog!! Lol! Now go get some WOT vids! Carefully, of course.. :whip:

NORCAL SS
07-24-2014, 02:18 AM
right on. Im actually going to move mine in front of the air duct. On my old truck having the intake higher up vs right in the air grill my IAT temps dropped a lot faster since air was getting pushed in when your rolling..

Good write up can't wait to get this on

Abarth Five O
07-24-2014, 03:43 AM
Thanks Shagghie for the good writeup and review. I'll probably have more questions on the windshield water bottle/bracket install once I get into it. I'll probably buy an Outerwears water resistant cover for extra POM as suggested by ATM. I am wondering if it is really necessary to seal up the slotted vent holes, side air vent hole, and other areas to minimize the chance of water intrusion and maximize the performance of the intake. It would be nice to hear from ATM with their recommendations. Also are the nipples closest to the turbo inlet made of plastic? I am a little concerned as a member with the EC V4 CAI found that one of the plastic nipples had melted which threw a cel and affected his motor from running properly. In any event, can't wait to get in on the GB!

TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
07-24-2014, 04:27 AM
Thanks Shagghie for the good writeup and review. I'll probably have more questions on the windshield water bottle/bracket install once I get into it. I'll probably buy an Outerwears water resistant cover for extra POM as suggested by ATM. I am wondering if it is really necessary to seal up the slotted vent holes, side air vent hole, and other areas to minimize the chance of water intrusion and maximize the performance of the intake. It would be nice to hear from ATM with their recommendations. Also are the nipples closest to the turbo inlet made of plastic? I am a little concerned as a member with the EC V4 CAI found that one of the plastic nipples had melted which threw a cel and affected his motor from running properly. In any event, can't wait to get in on the GB!

The fittings we use in both kits are plastic, they are located about the same distance from the turbo as the ones used in the HCi kits. We have never had an issue as they are located well away from any source of heat. Shagghie has his filter covered with his HCI foam cover , the kit doesn't come with a filter cover BUT as you said you can cover it up with a outerwearz mist sock if you want a little more protection from mist etc. In our experience of you want to go whole hog and seal things off you may pick up some more positive pressure but only at higher speeds. im running and had run the prototype for months on my car without any sealing off and with the exposed filter. The filter used has enough filter media for 350hp, we plan to test the limits with the turno we will be installing soon.
The Intake is basically a quiet but more responsive HCI,that's what people asked for and that's what we tried to accomplish with this part!

ophidia31
07-24-2014, 08:07 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/e3cdb0dc6ea7f31c40f2acf9f0476a7a/tumblr_mfceu1t8n71ra22gmo1_500.gif

07-24-2014, 08:23 AM
right on. Im actually going to move mine in front of the air duct. On my old truck having the intake higher up vs right in the air grill my IAT temps dropped a lot faster since air was getting pushed in when your rolling..

Good write up can't wait to get this on

NorCal, your kit is going out today. I didn't apply the decal to box as I wanted to double check our measurement on placement to put it dead center of the inlet opening. We put shaggies on centered 6.5" from the bottom of the splash shield. Please double check this measurement for us as production versions will have the logo permanently etched into the splash shield!

mactography
07-24-2014, 08:42 AM

+1

When I eventually get my FMIC this looks to be an excellent option.

shagghie
07-24-2014, 09:20 AM
I'll be updating the OP with answers to questions and/or anything else I think of that come up.

Just added:
*Oil changes will now become a breeze; just pop the silicone off the inlet and fold it over to get to the filter.
*The aluminum tray for the washer bottle is ecoated powder-coat and production units will have a laser engraved ATM logo (vs. vinyl decal like this prototype does)

ophidia31
07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Also are the nipples closest to the turbo inlet made of plastic? I am a little concerned as a member with the EC V4 CAI found that one of the plastic nipples had melted which threw a cel and affected his motor from running properly.

I think that may have just been a one in a million shot. Look at all the other plastic bits around the turbo that havent melted yet.

shagghie
07-24-2014, 09:34 AM
I think that may have just been a one in a million shot. Look at all the other plastic bits around the turbo that havent melted yet.

Well and I think he was having detonation too that day with low octane or bad gas, yeah? That brings the temps up pretty fast!

Also, like ATM pointed out the HCI uses the same fittings, and I've raced in upper 90's and have driven balls-out from SD to Houston in 103 degree heat flying up mountain passes in 4th, and not only do the fittings not melt, the silicone of the intake itself didn't even get hot. It's a good question but I think the short answer is "forgetaboutit".

mactography
07-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Well and I think he was having detonation too that day with low octane or bad gas, yeah? That brings the temps up pretty fast!

Also, like ATM pointed out the HCI uses the same fittings, and I've raced in upper 90's and have driven balls-out from SD to Houston in 103 degree heat flying up mountain passes in 4th, and not only do the fittings not melt, the silicone of the intake itself didn't even get hot. It's a good question but I think the short answer is "forgetaboutit".

I do think it was a one-in-a-million shot honestly. It was me that had the melted nipple issue. (haha) I always run Shell 93 octane but I did have to run some Marathon 93 gas on the way back from a road trip because I couldn't find a Shell station. I have no idea what caused that but I hadn't had an issue in over a year running either of the intakes and that fluke just happened to come about.. could've been the temps that day or anything. Either way, I think the aftermarket intakes are for the most part designed very well.

ophidia31
07-24-2014, 09:53 AM
"forgetaboutit".

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5576/14730146611_f0279b8738.jpg

shagghie
07-24-2014, 10:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5FKDw7qog

bootychickens
07-24-2014, 11:11 AM
I do think it was a one-in-a-million shot honestly. It was me that had the melted nipple issue. (haha) I always run Shell 93 octane but I did have to run some Marathon 93 gas on the way back from a road trip because I couldn't find a Shell station. I have no idea what caused that but I hadn't had an issue in over a year running either of the intakes and that fluke just happened to come about.. could've been the temps that day or anything. Either way, I think the aftermarket intakes are for the most part designed very well.

I melted one those as well on top of the line (QT) 93 octane. It hadn't occurred to me when I first saw the pics of the front mount air cleaner but thinking about it now.... yeah. That's going to happen to some of the super hard drivers with these when they come out. Not that it will stop me from getting one.

shagghie
07-24-2014, 11:21 AM
I melted one those as well on top of the line (QT) 93 octane. It hadn't occurred to me when I first saw the pics of the front mount air cleaner but thinking about it now.... yeah. That's going to happen to some of the super hard drivers with these when they come out. Not that it will stop me from getting one.

It's definitely not going to happen. I drive as hard as hell, in hot weather (and now hot AND humid, uggh), and do SOLO2 events too. With a COLD air intake, those plastic bits are not going to melt.

Even less so with this new ram style intake, as the filter is very far down and very far from the turbine and exhaust as well. The constant supply of cooler air will keep those plastic connectors inside cool. On the ATM, even after the hardest runs, when you open the hood and put your and on the silicone itself it is just 'warm'. Everything else under the hood might be glowing white hot lol, but that silicone has been there ingesting cold (read; ambient) air the entire time, getting cooled off from the inside out. This ram air will only amplify this effect.

#forgetaboutit :-)

ophidia31
07-24-2014, 11:27 AM

What kind of intake do you have? It could just be the quality of the plastic nips being used. Some plastics are just more heat resistant than others. These issues are nip issues and not the location of said nips.

shagghie
07-24-2014, 11:33 AM
What kind of intake do you have? It could just be the quality of the plastic nips being used. Some plastics are just more heat resistant than others. These issues are nip issues and not the location of said nips.

You milked that for all it's worth didn't you.

aktif8
07-24-2014, 11:44 AM

i see what you did there.

aktif8
07-24-2014, 11:46 AM
can someone point me to a thread / post with the pricing / availability info?

with the uni stage 2, my car is desperate for a true cai.

shagghie
07-24-2014, 11:54 AM
can someone point me to a thread / post with the pricing / availability info?

with the uni stage 2, my car is desperate for a true cai.

The group buy isn't yet out but the parts are being ordered according to ATM. They just wanted to get the final measurements of the silicone and positioning of the ATM logo for best visibility etc. and get any last-minute feedback from NorCalSS and my experience installing it first to make sure there are no quality issues of oversights. I didn't find a single one, so it should be very soon and you will see a Group Buy thread in the ATM Vendor section!

I can tell you first hand that the Uni-Chip along with this intake, the ATM FMIC, ported TB, ported down pipe and 2.5" cat-back makes for the absolute fastest set-up my car has seen in the last 18 months. And I have had a ton of different products on my car as well as every piggyback other than the U3 (though my father's U3 feels quick on his Abarth with the ATM FMIC and 2.5" cat-back too).

Stage 1 was great, but Stage 2 with this intake is completely bonkers. I can't even keep it on the road with 215 rubber and I'm pretty sure I could burn rubber through 1st, 2nd and at least into 3rd if I wanted to abuse the clutch. Speaking of clutches... I'm going to need one soon now.

I seriously cannot get over the throttle response. It's an often over-used expression, but all you have to do is curl your toes and you are going to be launched, even before the meat of the boost curve. The rev limiter comes so fast in 1st it is almost useless. By the time you get traction you have to be getting out of it and into 2nd and then you still are having a hard time hooking. Did I mention this is with 8.5" wheels and 215 rubber yet? (and not the lightest wheels either...I can't imagine what my old Allergritas would be like with this intake/tune lol!)

ophidia31
07-24-2014, 12:08 PM

I tried my breast.

Abarth Five O
07-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the all the feedback, including the funny ones, lol. Now, if I'm really concerned with the nips melting, I would replace them with more heat resistant ones or simply add it to my periodic check list among other things.

Abarth Five O
07-24-2014, 04:12 PM
The fittings we use in both kits are plastic, they are located about the same distance from the turbo as the ones used in the HCi kits. We have never had an issue as they are located well away from any source of heat. Shagghie has his filter covered with his HCI foam cover , the kit doesn't come with a filter cover BUT as you said you can cover it up with a outerwearz mist sock if you want a little more protection from mist etc. In our experience of you want to go whole hog and seal things off you may pick up some more positive pressure but only at higher speeds. im running and had run the prototype for months on my car without any sealing off and with the exposed filter. The filter used has enough filter media for 350hp, we plan to test the limits with the turno we will be installing soon.
The Intake is basically a quiet but more responsive HCI,that's what people asked for and that's what we tried to accomplish with this part!

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I won't be going hog wild as I rarely go over 80 mph here, mostly low to mid range blasts. That's exciting news about the new turbo. I def like more responsive w/ your new CAI!

shagghie
07-26-2014, 01:31 AM
earth:

You are going to want this intake'

They should just call it the holy sh!t intake!

Crossfirecat
07-26-2014, 01:54 AM
earth:

You are going to want this intake'

They should just call it the holy sh!t intake!

LMAO! It should be known and referred to as The ATM HSI from this point on!

ophidia31
07-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Hopefully this gets pushed through quick with the fmic gb finally getting to a close it seems.

Abarth Five O
07-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Based on their prior products, ATM takes their time, does all their homework, testing, and data logging before releasing their final product. This business model has proven to be very successful for them and I wouldn't want them to compromise or stray from it. I have patience for their products and am confident their new CAI will be well worth the wait. We're getting close to the finish line. Carry on ATM!

ophidia31
07-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Understandable, but theyve had 7+ months to work on a simple intake design where the two things needed were a mount for the washer tank and the silicone hose. Theyve had everything else designed or was already made.

07-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Understandable, but theyve had 7+ months to work on a simple intake design where the two things needed were a mount for the washer tank and the silicone hose. Theyve had everything else designed or was already made.

All parts are currently on order for 25 intake kits, we will post a Group Buy as soon as we get the current FMIC GB out to end users!

Abarth Five O
07-28-2014, 05:12 PM
All parts are currently on order for 25 intake kits, we will post a Group Buy as soon as we get the current FMIC GB out to end users!

bigclap

SweetSandMan
07-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Yup I'll be getting this ☺

AudiGuy
07-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Can't wait for this to happen. I know we talked over pm about a price break on the intake, for those of us that are also buying the fmic. I'd like to talk about that again and get the details nailed down.

Abarth Five O
07-29-2014, 02:22 PM
That would be nice for those who already purchased the ATM FMIC.

shagghie
08-03-2014, 01:46 PM
so an quick update... I removed the tune from the car to gauge the performance of the new ATM CAI.

I am shocked... Car makes crazy power, extremely fast the second you mash it down. the exhaust sounds like a banshee on bath salts. talk about zero lag... Car builds power before boost even comes on, and then when it hits everything screams.

I am very reluctant to venture and say it out loud, but I believe this intake trumps the HCI by a noticeable amount. there must be some synergistic effect between the machined Venturi and the ultra short and straight entry into the inlet.

In its current configuration, this car will beat a piggybacked car. and this is a typical humid day too that I'm using as a butt dyno.

Here's some new pics w some red HPS silicone to help show the routing.

Best part about this setup I'm realizing is that the back /top of engine bay is now clean and there is a ton of room for heat to occupy without it heating up the intake plumbing. This will help the entire engine bay stay a lot cooler for tuned applications... And looks wise you can't beat such a clean look with no more clutter. :)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/D969E5D2-180B-4315-AC84-5B5781C61A3F.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/D969E5D2-180B-4315-AC84-5B5781C61A3F.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/48DD02FB-3A5D-4FDB-AFD9-F7A89F04F88D.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/48DD02FB-3A5D-4FDB-AFD9-F7A89F04F88D.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/3F867B4E-5231-4192-8129-0FB33D530194.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/3F867B4E-5231-4192-8129-0FB33D530194.jpg.html)

ophidia31
08-03-2014, 02:51 PM
The money is burning a hole in my pocket.

08-03-2014, 04:43 PM
We are going to post the group buy on Monday 8/11, we are producing 25 kits so I'd get on it as we have/will have about 80 Abarth intercoolers out in circulation and it looks like it will work with some other fmic options as well!

ophidia31
08-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Im so happy.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14635060167_f2bc178367_o.gif

Abarth Five O
08-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Nice job shagghie! Where did u get that nice red tubing from? Are they available in different colors? Looks like this new CAI performs well even w/o any additional ram air effects. Look forward to jumping on the GB on 8/11.

shagghie
08-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Nice job shagghie! Where did u get that nice red tubing from? Are they available in different colors? Looks like this new CAI performs well even w/o any additional ram air effects. Look forward to jumping on the GB on 8/11.

Www.hps-siliconehoses.com

Different colors, yes indeed!

Crossfirecat
08-03-2014, 09:06 PM
I'll be hitting "refresh" every thirty seconds starting at 11:59pm next Sunday night lol!

ophidia31
08-03-2014, 09:35 PM
I'll be hitting "refresh" every thirty seconds starting at 11:59pm next Sunday night lol!

Ditto, but Ill be in the morning. Thank god I have th day off.

But I think the list from the other thread should be taken into account as legit buyers.

1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens

Bomiz
08-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Def buying this intake. Just bought the EC v2 but that **** gets too hot when I'm running through canyons at 90+ degrees.

NORCAL SS
08-03-2014, 11:32 PM
a customer had a v4 he got off someone else and i tested this intake on his car today. he was very happy with the atm vs the other one he had on.

Abarth Five O
08-04-2014, 02:40 AM
You can add me to the list.:eagerness:

AudiGuy
08-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Ditto, but Ill be in the morning. Thank god I have th day off.

But I think the list from the other thread should be taken into account as legit buyers.

1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens

Agreed. Feel free to transfer this list to the GB thread when it pops up. Cant wait for this thing. Looks like Im going to need a clutch :lala:

ophidia31
08-04-2014, 09:31 AM
jestera

1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens
7- Bomiz
8- Abarth Five O

http://media.giphy.com/media/QX3QDdgYVPJyo/giphy.gif

AudiGuy
08-04-2014, 09:42 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/QX3QDdgYVPJyo/giphy.gif

"Is this the line for the FREE 3:30 crack giveaway?"

NORCAL SS
08-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Did you reset your ecu?

bomba
08-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Will this design work with the Forge FMIC?

I'm guessing that it will?

shagghie
08-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Did you reset your ecu?

Yes. Battery drain style.

shagghie
08-04-2014, 12:30 PM

Depends on if the plumbing runs thru that area....
Not sure!

08-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Since the passenger side intercooler pipe runs under the radiator support/not in the area encapsulated with this intake, it should work with the forge, sila and pogea intercoolers thewave

Motion32
08-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Definitely in once the group buy starts

Bomiz
08-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Since the passenger side intercooler pipe runs under the radiator support/not in the area encapsulated with this intake, it should work with the forge, sila and pogea intercoolers thewave

stock too? gr_grin

ophidia31
08-10-2014, 10:30 PM
1.5hr until 8/11 jestera

NORCAL SS
08-10-2014, 10:47 PM
If you have a FMIC this is the BEST intake to get. PERIOD.

Crossfirecat
08-11-2014, 12:01 AM
1.5hr until 8/11 jestera

Open Open Open!!!

Bomiz
08-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Open Open Open!!!
!!!

ophidia31
08-11-2014, 09:51 PM
There seems to be something missing in this vendors section.

Crossfirecat
08-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Sigh~

ophidia31
08-12-2014, 08:37 PM

And I was expecting something good on my two days off.

beauwille
08-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Anyone have an idea about cost?
I would like to take part in a group buy if it does come up!

spotman
08-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Y'all make and fabricate some awesome products for the Abarth, any chance or anytime soon, will/are you going to offer a product for us non-turbo people's?

Crossfirecat
08-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Y'all make and fabricate some awesome products for the Abarth, any chance or anytime soon, will/are you going to offer a product for us non-turbo people's?

I bet it would be fairly easy for them to design an HCI that works on non turbo 500's.
Has anyone tried a ported throttle body on a non turbo model yet?

08-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, Anthony got called away on business so I'm slammed and there are a few things I need him to do for this formal GB post... This delay in actually getting the formal GB post up in no way affects the timeline as the parts have already been ordered so this is happening:boink: Please by all means continue to add your name to the current list!

1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens
7- Bomiz
8- Abarth Five O

mudking
08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, Anthony got called away on business so I'm slammed and there are a few things I need him to do for this formal GB post... This delay in actually getting the formal GB post up in no way affects the timeline as the parts have already been ordered so this is happening:boink: Please by all means continue to add your name to the current list!

1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens
7- Bomiz
8- Abarth Five O
9- mudking

ophidia31
08-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Is there a final pricing that you can sneak out? Thats whats really on my mind.

beauwille
08-13-2014, 02:40 PM

1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens
7- Bomiz
8- Abarth Five O
9- mudking
10- beauwille

08-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Is there a final pricing that you can sneak out? Thats whats really on my mind.

GB pricing will look something like this...
1-7 $389 + shipping
8-15 $369 + shipping
15+ $349 + shipping

1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens
7- Bomiz
8- Abarth Five O
9- mudking
10-beauwille
11-moonwell
12-bomba
13-turbocharged
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-

ophidia31
08-13-2014, 03:14 PM
:jaw: I was expecting $450-500 for some reason because of the other stuff on top of the intake.

moonwell
08-13-2014, 03:16 PM
1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens
7- Bomiz
8- Abarth Five O
9- mudking
10- beauwille
11- moonwell
12-
13-
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-

Crossfirecat
08-13-2014, 04:23 PM
I'd like to have mine shipped overnight if possible?

Abarth Five O
08-13-2014, 04:37 PM
GB pricing will look something like this...
1-7 $389 + shipping
8-15 $369 + shipping
15+ $349 + shipping

1- Crossfirecat
2- ophidia31
3- AudiGuy
5- Cargo
6- bootychickens
7- Bomiz
8- Abarth Five O
9- mudking
10-beauwille
11-
12-
13-
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-

For current ATM customers with your FMIC and BG, do we get another discount too?

ophidia31
08-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Also, looking at Bomiz's mod list I dont see a front mount there. Do you have one and didnt update or were you doing it in the near future? This wouldnt work with the stock smic setup as the washer res takes the passenger side intercooler spot and the intake wouldnt fit through the opening without pulling the stock washer res. If you modify the top of the stock res to get the intake through, I believe it would work as it seems there might be enough room ontop of the interooler to fit. But thats up to you. Heres a good shot of the pass side with stock interooler in place sans bumper.

http://vespacanada.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/wp_20131030_002.jpg

ophidia31
08-13-2014, 05:36 PM
For current ATM customers with your FMIC and BG, do we get another discount too?

Would be nice, but Im happy if we get to 20. I dont doubt that wont either. lol

turbocharged
08-13-2014, 07:54 PM
add me to the group buy. Turbocharged.

AudiGuy
08-13-2014, 08:37 PM

This. I'd like to see a bit of a better deal since buying the fmic. There was some discussion over pm in reference to a deal for fmic buyers. But of course those PMs have long since been deleted.

bomba
08-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Please add me to the list....

08-13-2014, 09:30 PM
This. I'd like to see a bit of a better deal since buying the fmic. There was some discussion over pm in reference to a deal for dmic buyers. But of course those PMs have long since been deleted.

The prices shown are the ATM Fmic owner prices(after a $20 discount) since that's predominantlly who is looking at this thread. actual price is $20 higher we were thinking people could either apply a $20 credit or get an Outerwears filter cover!

ophidia31
08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
...... or get an Outerwears filter cover!

If you will have these to ship with it, put me down for the cover too as I was planning on getting one anyway.

Abarth Five O
08-13-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm down for a cover i.e. one that would also go over the filter plus foam cover. Would be nice to have a choice in color too. Thanks!

Bomiz
08-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Looks like take me off the list :( until I buy the intercooler ;p

Crossfirecat
08-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Are we talking about a foam cover or the thin fabric type? I'm down for a fabric type. I'd prefer the fabric ones. Les restriction than thick foam IMO.

Crossfirecat
08-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Looks like take me off the list :( until I buy the intercooler ;p

Nah! Buying the intake will only serve to motivate you to pick up the FMIC sooner! Lol!!!

08-14-2014, 05:15 AM
The outerwears filter covers are made f a thin water repellant material. There is no need for the foam cover in this location, we used that on the HCI to lessen noise!

Hoppy
08-14-2014, 06:43 AM
i will take one, please add my name.

Hoppy
08-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Apologies, i have not patients what so ever. Here is the list as far as I can tell, I removed Bomiz and there was no #4.

1. Crossfirecat
2. ophidia31
3. AudiGuy
4. Cargo
5. Bootychickens
6. Abarth Five O
7. Mudking
8. Beauwille
9. Moonwell
10. Turbocharged
11. Bomba
12. Hoppy

moonwell
08-14-2014, 09:01 AM
This delay in actually getting the formal GB post up in no way affects the timeline
So, do you have an idea what the anticipated timeline would be? :)

ophidia31
08-14-2014, 09:36 AM
and there was no #4.

That was my bad, just excited and wanted to get the list up of guys that was going on from the other thread.

08-14-2014, 11:50 AM
So, do you have an idea what the anticipated timeline would be? :)

We are looking at 4-6 weeks for all parts to arrive!

Abarth Five O
08-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the update. Gives me more time to accumulate funds for this awesome CAI. In the meantime, look forward to seeing your data logs, etc.

joecanada
08-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Apologies, i have not patients what so ever. Here is the list as far as I can tell, I removed Bomiz and there was no #4.

1. Crossfirecat
2. ophidia31
3. AudiGuy
4. Cargo
5. Bootychickens
6. Abarth Five O
7. Mudking
8. Beauwille
9. Moonwell
10. Turbocharged
11. Bomba
12. Hoppy
13.joecanada

ophidia31
08-14-2014, 03:44 PM

Is that time remaining or including time from your post at the end of July?

Crossfirecat
08-14-2014, 05:27 PM

:crying:

aktif8
08-15-2014, 10:33 AM
13.joecanada

14 aktif8

add me please.

08-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Is that time remaining or including time from your post at the end of July?

The prior date for the silicone and brackets to get shipped to us was early September, I have put calls in for more firm dates but currently that still puts us 4+weeks out to ship!

08-15-2014, 12:03 PM
GB pricing will look something like this:
1-7 $409 + shipping
8-15 $389 + shipping
15+ $369 + shipping
***ATM FMIC Owners will recieve a $20 credit OR an Outerwearz water/mist filter cover***

1. Crossfirecat
2. ophidia31
3. AudiGuy
4. Cargo
5. Bootychickens
6. Abarth Five O
7. Mudking
8. Beauwille
9. Moonwell
10. Turbocharged
11. Bomba
12. Hoppy
13. Joe Canada
14. Aktif8
15. s4tund8

08-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the update. Gives me more time to accumulate funds for this awesome CAI. In the meantime, look forward to seeing your data logs, etc.

This intake will perform slightly better and have the same/similar ait trends as the HCI as it uses the same size silicone(albeit much shorter with less bends)the same filter and velocity stack. We are awaiting dyno tests from NORCAL

ophidia31
08-16-2014, 07:33 PM
GB pricing will look something like this:
1-7 $409 + shipping
8-15 $389 + shipping
15+ $369 + shipping
***ATM FMIC Owners will recieve a $20 credit OR an Outerwearz water/mist filter cover***

Ill take an Outerwearz with mine.

s4tund8
08-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Might as well throw me on the list also since I am waiting on my GB FMIC from group 2...

08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Guys we are putting up the Group Buy you can start paying deposits, the thread will grow as we populate it with information!

ophidia31
08-19-2014, 12:55 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/e42817ee85dc5652c4b18aa443b1cddc/tumblr_n1mzjy3cpK1sbhkw0o7_400.gif

shagghie
08-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Just picked up a set of these!
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/FA0B7C92-E993-4DF6-B82C-E5C55E7853C9.png (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/FA0B7C92-E993-4DF6-B82C-E5C55E7853C9.png.html)

if you want me to introduce you to Ken I'll do so, and he'll give you 10% off, if at least 5 people want these.
cause when u are running FMIC and this filter:

WHY NOT!? :-)

Keeps the whistle down at wot from outside the car, too.
Ken makes some other cool unique CF pieces no one else makes, too.

Abarth Five O
08-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks Shagghie, I might be down for this down the road depending on cost, etc. Vanhook makes some excellent stuff.

08-19-2014, 08:42 PM
What's cost?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/FA0B7C92-E993-4DF6-B82C-E5C55E7853C9.png (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/FA0B7C92-E993-4DF6-B82C-E5C55E7853C9.png.html)

if you want me to introduce you to Ken I'll do so, and he'll give you 10% off, if at least 5 people want these.

Crossfirecat
08-19-2014, 11:21 PM
How do they attach?

Ryephile
08-20-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm glad to see this intake finally come to market. :) I knew it was going to be the best. :highly_amused:

shagghie
08-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks Shagghie, I might be down for this down the road depending on cost, etc. Vanhook makes some excellent stuff.

Everything he does is solid gold.

What's cost?

~$195USD, and with 10% off= ~$175USD, + shipping. His shipping is very reasonable and actually gets here fast. Let me know if you want a pair and I'll introduce you on FB.

How do they attach?

They attach with an epoxy. They fit into the SMIC intake 'frame' if you will, and the contact patch goes along three of the 4 'sides' if you will. Put the epoxy on the edge of the CF and the edges along the frame of the inlet on the bumper. Wait 5 mins, then press them together and clamp for a half-day. They are extremely well made, with plenty of fiber backing and an amazing 3D weave that dances when you look at it in different light.

ophidia31
08-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Hows his english? Ive wanted to email him with some questions.

shagghie
08-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Hows his english? Ive wanted to email him with some questions.

Honestly it's not very good. I boils down to very carefully crafted questions that you must anticipate will end up in google translate on his end. Then he will also use the same tool to send you back even more cryptic answers. But you can work through it well enough.. he is patient, and very honorable.

Abarth Five O
08-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Everything he does is solid gold.

~$195USD, and with 10% off= ~$175USD, + shipping. His shipping is very reasonable and actually gets here fast. Let me know if you want a pair and I'll introduce you on FB.

They attach with an epoxy. They fit into the SMIC intake 'frame' if you will, and the contact patch goes along three of the 4 'sides' if you will. Put the epoxy on the edge of the CF and the edges along the frame of the inlet on the bumper. Wait 5 mins, then press them together and clamp for a half-day. They are extremely well made, with plenty of fiber backing and an amazing 3D weave that dances when you look at it in different light.

That's an excellent price! So it's $175 each plus shipping or $350 for 2 plus shipping, correct? I would assume most of us would be buying 2 for a complete look. Shagghie, are u going w/ 1 or 2 CF vent covers?

shagghie
08-20-2014, 09:18 PM
That's an excellent price! So it's $175 each plus shipping or $350 for 2 plus shipping, correct? I would assume most of us would be buying 2 for a complete look. Shagghie, are u going w/ 1 or 2 CF vent covers?

I went with both and I think I would recommend it for two reasons;
1) others might not know why you'd only have one and keep telling you 'you lost one of your CF thingies"
2) the price is $195 for BOTH! :-) (+shipping)

I just need to find some clamps. These things are awesome lol!

08-21-2014, 04:48 AM
1) others might not know why you'd only have one and keep telling you 'you lost one of your CF thingies"

Does he also do them in Fiberglass?

Also can he do these for bumper wing replacements on an FJ Cruiser, there is a HUGE vacuum as the only manufacturer of these cover plates went out of business and there's a huge demand for them!

shagghie
08-21-2014, 01:08 PM
He might be able to do fiberglass only as the back side is mostly fiberglass.
I can ask him. Don't think so on FJ, yet.
he is an Abarthisti first/foremost.

BTW EVERYONE! JUst use discount code
"SHAGGHIE" for 10% off at checkout at
Vanhook.me! Easier for everyone. I have a feeling these will sell well for him here, especially as a compliment to this new ATM filter.

Abarth Five O
08-21-2014, 03:23 PM

That's an awesome price for 2 pieces. Approximately how much would shipping be to Cali? although I"m in HI it would give me an rough estimate of shipping cost from Jpn.

shagghie
08-21-2014, 05:08 PM
That's an awesome price for 2 pieces. Approximately how much would shipping be to Cali? although I"m in HI it would give me an rough estimate of shipping cost from Jpn.

It's been several weeks since when I ordered mine, so i can't recall. It seriously isn't very much though...

shagghie
08-21-2014, 10:22 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/71BE97FB-D3F4-402D-A565-E5A4007C62DF.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/71BE97FB-D3F4-402D-A565-E5A4007C62DF.jpg.html)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/DD112624-8F86-4A19-9A6C-B402D3CDE39D.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/DD112624-8F86-4A19-9A6C-B402D3CDE39D.jpg.html)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/06946042-4B70-48C3-8B2E-45880993D539.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/06946042-4B70-48C3-8B2E-45880993D539.jpg.html)
Night night for now, c u in the morning...
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/30921832-194A-4EDB-80E0-2DF37CAD4949.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/30921832-194A-4EDB-80E0-2DF37CAD4949.jpg.html)
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/shagghie/ATM%20FMIC/C42FF4C6-7166-4785-9B41-DD0D829DEC29.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/shagghie/media/ATM%20FMIC/C42FF4C6-7166-4785-9B41-DD0D829DEC29.jpg.html)

joecanada
08-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Awesome clamping!!! Looks like something I would do. I am down for a set along with the door handle covers. So I just use "shagghie" to get the discount? Man o man, FMIC and ram air intake on order now some Vanhook goodies and the car is not here until next Wednesday.

odanota
10-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Is it possible to run an engine cover with this intake? Kind of hard for me to figure out what the engine bay will look like with this since I am so accustomed to a large intake smack in the middle of everything!

10-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Is it possible to run an engine cover with this intake? Kind of hard for me to figure out what the engine bay will look like with this since I am so accustomed to a large intake smack in the middle of everything!

I simply kept my airbox in!

ophidia31
10-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Just going to use the wrinkle coat red engine cover from RoadRace when I had their intake setup. Sold the intake, ketp the engine cover. It most resembles the look of the stock airbox the best.