PDA

View Full Version : What vehicle did you own previous?

Rivmage
07-22-2014, 12:23 PM
What vehicle did you own prior to your 500L?

How does the 500L compare?

Scott

minibrings
07-26-2014, 05:56 PM
2012 fiat 500c much different fir obvious reasons

pglickenhaus
07-27-2014, 09:40 AM
subaru outback

MoranJ2000
07-29-2014, 06:07 PM
What vehicle did you own prior to your 500L?

How does the 500L compare?

Scott

I used to have a 2005 Honda Civic EX Coupe.

I Love the L for the style and character (my first Italian car, or European one for that matter). And the space-- it's not a cramped two door like the Civic and it gets roughly the same mileage, so I gave up nothing in that area.

Complaints: although the L has a ton more power and torque than the Civic, the turbo lag makes it more sluggish off the line.

Also, I fear the FIAT will be nowhere as reliable as my Civic was--ZERO problems in almost 9 years of ownership-- but then again, few if any cars could come close to that level of reliability.

500Lfyrman
08-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Replaced a Saab 9-7.

evbruno
08-07-2014, 02:35 AM
Replaced a 2006 KIA Sedona

ibking
08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
2013 Abarth

Blk500L
08-08-2014, 04:16 PM
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 S

Macuser1984
08-10-2014, 01:43 AM
I owned a 2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring. I like the better mpg with the Fiat, but I miss the seats in the Mazda. The Fiat driver's seat doesn't tilt up or down and I feel like I'm being dumped off of it. I like the way the Fiat handles, but the Mazda handled pretty well too. I like having a manual too, the Mazda was an auto. I also like all of the tech in the Fiat the Mazda didn't have (touch screen, usb input, navigation, MPG gauge). The Mazda had HID headlights and rain sensing wipers which are awesome here in WA. I do miss those two things along with being able to haul a lot of stuff in the Mazda too, but I like the Fiat better overall.

Stacey Willard
08-17-2014, 02:55 PM
2004 Suzuki Verona

nagromr1
08-18-2014, 04:35 AM
2006 Honda civic ex sedan

Sambucachi1
06-16-2015, 09:36 AM
2010 Saab 9-3 and 2011 Saab 9-5

Outlandishlady
06-22-2015, 02:45 PM
2014 Ford Escape. While I liked all the extra things it had, my Fiat is so much more fun to drive.

500spot
06-22-2015, 03:27 PM
2005 Honda Ridgeline that was pretty good but only got 17 mpg. This is my second Fiat which I still have the first - a 2012 500S that I have had for 4 years. The sport is still the most fun but the Trekking is a close second and I dearly love them both. I would not trade either one for anything but another Fiat which I don't need because these have been extremely dependable and both get close to 40mpg on the road and around 35 in town. Both have go pedals so no throttle lag in either one and both are manual shift. Best cars on the planet for me.

Purgatory
06-25-2015, 11:05 PM
We traded my wife's 2013 500 Lounge for the 2015 500L Lounge. She only had 8300 miles on the 500, still looked, drove, and smelled like a new car. She only commutes about 12 miles a day, rest of the time, we are usually together in my Abarth. However, I am loving the 500L, and looking for excuses to be together in her new car.

BlueCorn
06-25-2015, 11:10 PM
My first "sporty" car was a V6 Hyundai Tiburon, with Tuscani badges. Traded for a Honda S2000 and kept it for about 6 years before a new family urged me into a 2007 Outback XT (until the motor let go) and not I'm in the Pop. It doesn't have nearly the HP of previous cars but it's fun enough you really don't mind. If I didn't commute 120 miles a day it'd be an Abarth.

Ju1c3
06-26-2015, 06:53 AM
75 spider 124
04 Ram 3500
11 Ram 3500
04 Mazda 3
now in an 12 Abarth

Slovakman
06-26-2015, 09:56 PM
I've had two older Subaru Wagons ( a Legacy L and an Outback) before I bought my 500L. Even though they were AWD and did great in snow, they both had a kind of front end "plow" when taking sharp turns on wet roads, as I had to be careful not to over accelerate as to not lose control of the car. Taking the same curves on wet roads in my new 500L, I have found absolutely no front end "plow"!
The Fiat seems to have a much better balanced chassis. Also, when comparing the Fiat to the Subaru on icy roads, I have found that the Fiat, with the electronic stability control seems to slide around much less, and seems more stable than the Subarus I owned. The Fiat 500L is an amazing car!

lt5280
07-06-2015, 11:07 PM
2013 Ford Flex

ManOfStealth
07-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Not replacing a car but adding to an already full garage of cars. 2014 500L Trekking,1992 Dodge Stealth RT/Twin Turbo, 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Superbee and 2012 VW Beetle Turbo. Can you tell we like turbo cars? My key ring is pretty darn full.

ronbo10
07-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Had a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx that was totaled when it slid off an icy road. I was at work that day, wondered why my wife would have even bothered to take the car out in that weather, but it was a blessing in disguise. I never jelled with the Maxx, and we had a few issues with it. Plus, it never got close to its advertised fuel economy (about 18 mpg average, EPA rating 20 city/30 highway). My experience with our Fiat couldn't be more different- stone reliable, tons of fun and very economical. Plus, it carries about the same amount of people and stuff as the much larger and heavier Maxx did.

CoachRick
08-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Just swapped our '13 Acura RDX w/Tech FWD yesterday! DW and I both wanted a smaller footprint, but I was dismayed with the power available in the CRV and CX5, the NX is too big given its lack of interior space and Volvo is taking its own sweet time in bringing the XC40 to the States. Got a darned good deal on the 500L and DW thinks it's super cute!!! Never mind leaving over 100hp on the floor with the trade ;) . Got a fair trade(it was a mature lease, no payment to go; but DW had customized the right front bumper and a couple more dings along with some nasty curb rash on two rims. Only way to turn that vehicle in to Acura without taking a big hit was to re-lease a new one and they don't have what we want in the line-up...yet. They are supposed to have a sub-compact ute in the works. If they put a decent engine in it, we'll take another look. Have had 8 Volvos stretching back to college and would really be interested in the XC40 with the 250hp I5...IF they bring it to the states!

THAT'S my long-winded story! I look forward to chatting with you folks!!!
Adios

D2Fiat
09-29-2015, 02:52 PM
2000 GLS VW New Beetle 1.8 Turbo (http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/13957-d2beetle-2k-yellow-gls-turbo-nb.html#post1193809)

We needed something within our budget, higher gas mileage, four doors, iPad/iPhone connectivity, similar performance, compact size and FUN to drive; we did not want an over-sized, stuffy SUV. The 500L has meet those expectations!

punkozuna
10-26-2015, 12:49 AM
We needed something within our budget, higher gas mileage, four doors, iPad/iPhone connectivity, similar performance, compact size and FUN to drive; we did not want an over-sized, stuffy SUV. The 500L has meet those expectations!

Similar story for us - except for the gas mileage. We needed a bigger, family friendly car. Having recently purchased a 2012 500C POP, we were happy to check out the 500L. We cross shopped Fiat 500X, Kia SOUL, Scion Xb, Jeep Patriot and Renegade plus the RAM Promaster City. We got a great deal on a 2015 500L Trekking from Lithia Fiat of Eugene. Nice price, nice features, much more attractive and stylish to us (both interior and exterior) than the Jeep and Kia products. We just drove it home tonight over the highway to the coast - twisty, mountain road in the fog and rain. It worked great and we are very happy!

islander
10-26-2015, 11:26 AM
2004 VW Golf TDI automatic

Had that 9.5 years, preceded by 13 years with a 1991 Jetta manual and many VWs prior to that. Bought my Trekking in late August 2013. At the time I considered getting another VW (probably would've been a diesel), a Mini, a Mitsubishi or Subaru. Lucky for me I didn't go the VW route then I guess, given what has since happened with VW diesels. But, that said, I really liked that diesel and wouldn't shy away from one now. My 2004 wasn't marketed as a 'clean diesel' anyway. Given that early morning little puff of diesel-scented smoke (and the stuff you can't see or smell) I had no illusions about my diesel being 'clean'.

D2Fiat
10-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Similar story for us - except for the gas mileage. We needed a bigger, family friendly car. Having recently purchased a 2012 500C POP, we were happy to check out the 500L. We cross shopped Fiat 500X, Kia SOUL, Scion Xb, Jeep Patriot and Renegade plus the RAM Promaster City. We got a great deal on a 2015 500L Trekking from Lithia Fiat of Eugene. Nice price, nice features, much more attractive and stylish to us (both interior and exterior) than the Jeep and Kia products. We just drove it home tonight over the highway to the coast - twisty, mountain road in the fog and rain. It worked great and we are very happy!

Glad to hear that you found what you were looking for. :)

We had to go all the way to Springfield, IL to get to one we wanted, (2014 500L with Trekking 5) and we drove it back to Nashville, TN; we really wanted Trekking 6 but there were none to be found.

punkozuna
10-29-2015, 12:20 AM
We had to go all the way to Springfield, IL to get to one we wanted, (2014 500L with Trekking 5) and we drove it back to Nashville, TN; we really wanted Trekking 6 but there were none to be found.

Now that's a drive! What were you looking for that made that drive worthwhile? After all the comparison shopping we did and having the car for a few days, I can't believe that the 500Ls aren't more popular than they are. Oh well. Its unpopularity is probably a big part of the great deal we got and I don't mind being different in my car choice.

CoachRick
10-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Glad to hear that you found what you were looking for. :)

Now that's a drive! What were you looking for that made that drive worthwhile? After all the comparison shopping we did and having the car for a few days, I can't believe that the 500Ls aren't more popular than they are. Oh well. Its unpopularity is probably a big part of the great deal we got and I don't mind being different in my car choice.'
One can go a little crazy figuring out which package is at the top of the list...THEN trying to find it! I likely would have gone for white(with Trekking trim) if the dealer had the package we wanted(Lounge); but we like the silver. Didn't want super dark interior; but no particular color scheme was a 'must have'. This made our purchase a little easier.

I'm seeing more and more Ls in the Austin area but it is certainly not a common vehicle! Glad we didn't go for the retro powder blue/white...there is one in our townhouse complex already! I've actually not seen a silver on the road yet...fine by me ;)

D2Fiat
11-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Now that's a drive! What were you looking for that made that drive worthwhile? After all the comparison shopping we did and having the car for a few days, I can't believe that the 500Ls aren't more popular than they are. Oh well. Its unpopularity is probably a big part of the great deal we got and I don't mind being different in my car choice.

'
One can go a little crazy figuring out which package is at the top of the list...THEN trying to find it! I likely would have gone for white(with Trekking trim) if the dealer had the package we wanted(Lounge); but we like the silver. Didn't want super dark interior; but no particular color scheme was a 'must have'. This made our purchase a little easier.

I'm seeing more and more Ls in the Austin area but it is certainly not a common vehicle! Glad we didn't go for the retro powder blue/white...there is one in our townhouse complex already! I've actually not seen a silver on the road yet...fine by me ;)

There are no Fiat dealers in Nashville, TN. :(

The wife wanted heated seats, Bluetooth/USB/AUX (for her i-Devices) and Hands free Phone capabilities; Trekking 6 was the only way to get that option combination. I searched all of CONUS and could not find a 500L with Trekking 6; however when I mentioned the Trekking 5 with a $5,000 incentive discount, she said she could live with out heated seats. For me the exterior had be Yellow, no exceptions! :) I prefer a dark interior as the wife is somewhat challenged when drinking Latte's!

Mine is the only 500L where I reside, although while driving to and from work I have seen several two doors of various colors; white, silver, dark brown, green, black and one yellow. I have seen only one other yellow 500L on two occasions, and it was in our parking lot at work; they must be meeting someone for lunch. Not certain what model it was, but it had a pair of black stripes centered from front to back.

Pionieri Tridentina
11-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Fiat 500 POP and before that Toyota Camry

DDT
11-07-2015, 10:55 PM
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 S

You replaced an Alfa , albeit old, with a FIAT? How does the FIAT compare? I'm waiting for the other Alfas to arrive. I think that the Giulietta is a sweet car.

I replaced a BMW 525i with a 500L Trekking. I wanted something more "European" and the bimmer was getting on up there in miles (225,000+) and years (1995)

I quite enjoy the feel and handling of the manual 6-speed FIAT. It is more fun to drive and of course a newer car with much much newer electronics. Funny that the BMW had a cassette player and the FIAT doesn't even have a CD player.

WileyCoyote
01-17-2016, 05:17 PM
2013 Honda Fit (Totaled when miss 20 year old newbie slammed on her breaks while texting on the freeway)

2014 500L Trekking is better in almost every way. Turbo engine, 6 speed manual (vs 5 speed), more spacious, all the tech, just all around better vehicle.

I loved my Fit and it was sad to see it go but the 500L was my blessing in disguise.

ERM Racing
01-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Replaced a 2002 Subaru Impreza RS 2 door, which was very easy to sell. The Fiat is our first new car in 30 years (1985 GMC Safari van) and we wanted something with better mileage than the Sube, and with style. Our kids are grown so it's generally just the two of us, but we have made numerous 2-3 hour trips with 4 people and a full trunk.

Werdna Dnawer
01-18-2016, 12:41 AM
Replaced a 2013 smart for two passion.

How it looked right before I traded it in, wheels were plastidipped and sharpied.

How it looked a few months before that.

Doohickie
01-23-2016, 12:32 AM
My previous daily driver was a 2005 Hyundai Elantra. My son's driving it now.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/Doohickie/Elantra07/Picture004-4.jpg

madcityskier
02-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Adding a car as our daughter gets her license. Others are 2010 Hyundai SantaFe Limited v6 and 2012 Hyundai Accent SE. This car is cuter which daughter loves. Lots of interior room for its size. Not much storage compared with either of the others, and the turn radius is atrocious. Also, since it's tall and light it is much more affected by wind. Overall it's not half bad for a third car. The dual clutch is something you get used to for sure.

ronbo10
02-24-2016, 10:33 AM
...and the turn radius is atrocious...

Not sure if you misspoke here- Our 500L's turning circle is just over 32 feet. Only a few cars out there can make a tighter turn. I've found it to be super maneuverable in parking lots etc. Our old Malibu Maxx (which our 500L replaced) truly did have an atrocious turning radius. Now that was a car that was not particularly quirky, but rather ugly and otherwise very bland. Glad to be out of it.

islander
02-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Not sure if you misspoke here- Our 500L's turning circle is just over 32 feet. Only a few cars out there can make a tighter turn. I've found it to be super maneuverable in parking lots etc. Our old Malibu Maxx (which our 500L replaced) truly did have an atrocious turning radius. Now that was a car that was not particularly quirky, but rather ugly and otherwise very bland. Glad to be out of it.

Yeah, that's how I see my 500L as well. I have no complaints at all about the car's manoeuvrability, turning radius or overall handling. Previously I had a series of VWs and all of 'em had issues with turning radius—from Bugs decades back right through to the last TDI Golf. My Trekking doesn't.

Fiat500USA
02-24-2016, 02:08 PM

The turning radius on an Abarth is substantially more: Turning Diameter (curb-to-curb): 37.6 ft. (11.45 m) Which is the same as a Jeep Grand Cherokee and does take some getting used to. Maybe that what was being talked about?

ronbo10
02-24-2016, 03:29 PM
The turning radius on an Abarth is substantially more: Turning Diameter (curb-to-curb): 37.6 ft. (11.45 m) Which is the same as a Jeep Grand Cherokee and does take some getting used to. Maybe that what was being talked about?

Yes Tweak, I wondered that myself- I guess the Abarth 500 had to have it's steering lock artificially limited (relative to the base 500) due to the (as I recall) larger brake calipers. Maybe Madcityskier will chime in shortly.

steverwrx
02-25-2016, 12:50 AM
My new 500L Treking replaced a 1992 Mazda Miata. Also in my garage are a 2003 C32 and a 2014 Durango R/T.

eurodave164
02-26-2016, 09:34 AM
BMW 325XI and Alfa 164 LS

madcityskier
02-28-2016, 12:51 AM
Sure didn't. Don't know what the numbers say, but it can't hardley make the turnaround at the end of my buddy's block. My SantFe will do it towing our MasterCraft. Not a deal breaker, just very surprised.

CoachRick
02-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Sure didn't. Don't know what the numbers say, but it can't hardley make the turnaround at the end of my buddy's block. My SantFe will do it towing our MasterCraft. Not a deal breaker, just very surprised.

We were pleasantly surprised at the tight turning radius of the Elle...we can make the 90 degree turn into our garage with the FIAT easily. Couldn't do that with our Volvo C70 or the RDX. We can't swing out wide and there is a drainage culvert just beyond our garage entry, so it's nice not to have to do a '3 pointer' to get in(although I insist that DW does...we don't need any more customizing of the garage door frame OR the right front quarter panel of either vehicle ;) )

When making such maneuvers, it's surprising to have the wheel turn ''past'' the point that most other vehicles stop...almost feels like you're cheating!

ronbo10
02-28-2016, 12:05 PM

Madcityskier- here are the specs on the 500L's steering system, from 500USA's website:

STEERING
Type: Power rack and pinion with electric power steering (EPS) column
Overall Ratio: 17.2:1
Turning Diameter: (curb-to-curb) 32.3 ft. (10.7 m)
Steering Turns (lock-to-lock): 3.0

I looked up Hyundai Santa Fe on Edmunds for specs, a 2014's turning circle is listed as 36.9 feet, more than 4 and a half feet bigger than the 500 L's. You might check to ensure you're getting full steering lock, measure your turning circle, and if it's not up to spec, something's amiss in your steering system.

Pionieri Tridentina
03-01-2016, 12:00 AM
A Fiat 500 POP verde chiaro , I love my L trekking but I miss the personality of the POP

madcityskier
03-06-2016, 01:12 PM
All is fine per the dealer. 2010 shows about 35ft, much closer, but still should be more. Maybe that's tighter than that, maybe this is worse, just wouldn't have guessed it would even be close.

Renée Trask
03-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Currently own 2014 500L Before this 2012 500 Sport traded in a Lexus 250IS AWD for it.

Frank8256
03-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Bought a 2014 Fiat 500L Pop two weeks ago. I traded in a 2009 Kia Sportage. So far really like driving my Fiat.

Tiny Turbo
03-12-2016, 08:51 PM
About a year ago I had a 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.0 in the crazy Citrus Peele Color. Traded it because of a few overheating issues. Other than that was not a bad car really.

Tweak
03-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Bought a 2014 Fiat 500L Pop two weeks ago. I traded in a 2009 Kia Sportage. So far really like driving my Fiat.

Congrats on the L and welcome to the forum Frank.

super15066
04-07-2016, 04:03 PM
2005 Vespa PX150 (still currently own it) Canadian edition #223 out of 350 made.

Grape Ape
04-07-2016, 04:46 PM
My daily driver was a 97 Dodge Avenger. With 367,000 miles on it and starting to rust out, I gave it to my brother in-law in early 2014 and bought a left over 2013 500 Pop. That Dodge is still running and turned over 400,000 now, other than normal maintenance, the only engine work it ever got was a new oil pan when it rusted so bad that it was leaking.

I've already got over 50,000 miles on the Fiat and so far so good. I'm impressed with the value, a lot of standard equipment for the price ($12,200 after a $4000 cash back incentive). With all highway, I'm hoping for around 150,000 miles out of it before major work, we'll see.

The Dodge was a little more comfortable, the Fiat would be if it only a had telescopic steering wheel, these thing are made for people with short legs and long arms. Not inconvenient enough to keep me from buying it though. It's newer, better on gas, better A/C and heat. That poor old Dodge was just wore out, so this is definitely an improvement overall.

Lorx7
04-20-2016, 11:36 AM
I still own the car. but i was killing the car with miles so i got the Fiat to be my new DD

2006 Honda S2000
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21785&stc=1 (https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/943435_10200925741163321_1300284639_n.jpg?oh=fd1ab 7d7e063e7b15d6bec74d3584c45&oe=57AB4B0A)