PDA

View Full Version : Mods to improve low and mid range power of NA engine?

italophile
07-19-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm looking for ideas to improve the power and responsiveness of the normally aspirated engine below, say, 3000 RPM. So far, the only thing I've found that looks like it does much good in that range is the RRM timing controller, and I've just about talked myself into getting one. I've also been considering a CAI (I have the Competizione panel filter now, which made a very slight difference) but I have some reservations. First, do any of them help at low RPM? I've heard that sometimes CAI systems actually reduce low RPM power and only add it at the top end, in which case it's a no-go. Second, how much noise does it add? Overall noise levels are already on the ragged edge of acceptable, and I would think between added intake noise and the loss of the engine cover, noise levels are bound to go up. But, if it's not too noticeable, it might still be worth doing, and it'd be nice not to have to take the stock intake system off to get at the oil filter. I'm mostly considering the Competizione, which I believe allows you to use the stock engine cover, and the RRM Corsa, which can be ordered as a package deal with their new one.

Thoughts? Other ideas?