PDA

View Full Version : Finally some real numbers on increases gained from mods to 500 Sport!

papermaker
07-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Well, kind of. :smile:

As I mentioned on the RRM Vendor page I went to them because being new to mods I liked their experience in racing they had a good rep, and they were close to work. I got the Corsa intake, Megan catback exhaust, and sway bar. Later I got the RRM controller from a forum member.

First they installed the exhaust. Don't know if it made an impact but it sounded better and I thought it did.
Next, about a week later I installed the intake. That was a definite boost in power especially over 3000 RPM.
This past Saturday I installed the timing controller. At first the car idled a little rough and there wasn't a boost at all. I figured that it needed to "sync" with the ECU or whatever they do under the hood at night.
I drove a little Sunday with no improvement felt, but today on the way home from work there was a very noticeable improvement

Now for "objective test" results.....

Going up Kellogg hill on the 10 before any mods my car could not maintain 80 mph in 5th gear all the way to the top.

With the intake and exhaust it was able to maintain 80 mph pretty easily.

Today not only did I maintain 80 mph but I was accelerating with less than full throttle. (Maybe 3/4 - 7/8) That's objective hard numbers right?

I'm very satisfied with the results. In line with what other reasonable people have reported and what I hoped to achieve.

Got to put a good word in for the sway bar. Very nice!

FSTCS6
07-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Good info, thanks :).

The gf may want more power in her Lounge C & we have a club member looking to pep up their n/a 500 as well.

lammie200
07-15-2014, 11:56 AM
The OP should consider the lightened crank pulley kit. It helps with acceleration even more so.

papermaker
07-15-2014, 02:44 PM
The OP should consider the lightened crank pulley kit. It helps with acceleration even more so.

Thanks. I am indeed considering the light pulley. The current mods are effective enough that I don't I don't feel compelled to get an Abarth now.

Meanwhile I'll do a few more things including the pulley, koni shocks and bigger sun visors. They do have bigger sun visors right?

doverosx
07-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Well, kind of. :smile:

As I mentioned on the RRM Vendor page I went to them because being new to mods I liked their experience in racing they had a good rep, and they were close to work. I got the Corsa intake, Megan catback exhaust, and sway bar. Later I got the RRM controller from a forum member.

First they installed the exhaust. Don't know if it made an impact but it sounded better and I thought it did.
Next, about a week later I installed the intake. That was a definite boost in power especially over 3000 RPM.
This past Saturday I installed the timing controller. At first the car idled a little rough and there wasn't a boost at all. I figured that it needed to "sync" with the ECU or whatever they do under the hood at night.
I drove a little Sunday with no improvement felt, but today on the way home from work there was a very noticeable improvement

Now for "objective test" results.....

Going up Kellogg hill on the 10 before any mods my car could not maintain 80 mph in 5th gear all the way to the top.

With the intake and exhaust it was able to maintain 80 mph pretty easily.

Today not only did I maintain 80 mph but I was accelerating with less than full throttle. (Maybe 3/4 - 7/8) That's objective hard numbers right?

I'm very satisfied with the results. In line with what other reasonable people have reported and what I hoped to achieve.

Got to put a good word in for the sway bar. Very nice!

That isn't very objective; humidity, air pressure, temperature and gas quality all play a role here.

papermaker
07-17-2014, 05:31 PM
That isn't very objective; humidity, air pressure, temperature and gas quality all play a role here.

Sorry for the confusion. Was meant in fun, a little sarcasm.

CAR2-D2
07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure a panel filter and that timing controller would net the same results, minus the noise. A 1.4L NA cannot overcome the stock intake volume with a low-restriction filter in place. My K&N panel made the car snappier. These car apparently don't have MAFs, so the oiled filter is not going to gunk up anything, either. Good to know though. I'm going to get one of these timing controller after reading so many positive reports.

papermaker
07-17-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty sure a panel filter and that timing controller would net the same results, minus the noise. A 1.4L NA cannot overcome the stock intake volume with a low-restriction filter in place. My K&N panel made the car snappier. These car apparently don't have MAFs, so the oiled filter is not going to gunk up anything, either. Good to know though. I'm going to get one of these timing controller after reading so many positive reports.

I ran a K&N with the stock intake for about 2 years. Probably a little better than the regular filter, but the difference between the short ram intake and the K&N was very significant. I think many times better boost over the K&N than the K&N was over stock.

The exhaust probably added a little boost. I wanted a little sound and the Megan isn't that loud. I could have got a bigger boost from exhaust but really didn't want the noise.

The timing controller was the real deal. I'm going to try to take my car to a dyno and get a few pulls with all my mods and see what I got. I will of course post the results. Anyone know of a reasonable shop that can do this in the LA area?

Let me know how it turns out for you. This is my first foray into modding cars and it's great fun!

doverosx
07-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Was meant in fun, a little sarcasm.

The fact that I missed that....is hilarious! I'm absolutely laughing right now....eessshhh, jestera

CAR2-D2
07-18-2014, 02:07 PM
I ran a K&N with the stock intake for about 2 years. Probably a little better than the regular filter, but the difference between the short ram intake and the K&N was very significant. I think many times better boost over the K&N than the K&N was over stock.

The exhaust probably added a little boost. I wanted a little sound and the Megan isn't that loud. I could have got a bigger boost from exhaust but really didn't want the noise.

The timing controller was the real deal. I'm going to try to take my car to a dyno and get a few pulls with all my mods and see what I got. I will of course post the results. Anyone know of a reasonable shop that can do this in the LA area?

Let me know how it turns out for you. This is my first foray into modding cars and it's great fun!

One of my previous cars was a 1.5L Honda and I switched from the panel filter to a short ram, and I did notice an improvement in throttle response, and slightly more pull. It had about the same power as the FIAT. I think ultimately the noise, vibration and harshness became tiring with such a "slow" car. Staying away from noise makers for now. That car had a Megan axle back too, which I liked the sound of, but didn't notice as much as the intake. This is my third subcompact, and done pretty much the same mods on all of them. I liked the improvement, but I have two other cars that are actually quick, so I want the FIAT as comfy as possible. I will report back once I get the timing controller. Good luck, and have fun on your journey of tuning! I'm getting near the end of my 18 year stint of modding imports. haha

papermaker
07-19-2014, 11:11 PM
One of my previous cars was a 1.5L Honda and I switched from the panel filter to a short ram, and I did notice an improvement in throttle response, and slightly more pull. It had about the same power as the FIAT. I think ultimately the noise, vibration and harshness became tiring with such a "slow" car. Staying away from noise makers for now. That car had a Megan axle back too, which I liked the sound of, but didn't notice as much as the intake. This is my third subcompact, and done pretty much the same mods on all of them. I liked the improvement, but I have two other cars that are actually quick, so I want the FIAT as comfy as possible. I will report back once I get the timing controller. Good luck, and have fun on your journey of tuning! I'm getting near the end of my 18 year stint of modding imports. haha

I can see exhaust noise getting to a person over time. I'm very glad I opted for a relatively quiet system. That and I'm well beyond my 20's and don't need to be competing with my young employees for loudest muffler.