PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body install issues

Golfassassin
07-14-2014, 09:52 PM
I got a new ported TB and installed it this weekend. I am having issues and thought I would ask for some help. For some reason I keep getting a cel and the red lighting bolt. Once at idle today the throttle was acting like someone was pumping the petal like it had a mind of its own. I think I did everything correctly but I could have made a mistake that I haven't found yet. I unplugged it tonight and replugged it and will see what happens tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before and may have some recommendations I could look for.

Jester49
07-14-2014, 10:05 PM
I got a new ported TB and installed it this weekend. I am having issues and thought I would ask for some help. For some reason I keep getting a cel and the red lighting bolt. Once at idle today the throttle was acting like someone was pumping the petal like it had a mind of its own. I think I did everything correctly but I could have made a mistake that I haven't found yet. I unplugged it tonight and replugged it and will see what happens tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before and may have some recommendations I could look for.

Could you have installed it backwards ?? Believe me I've seen this done....

Golfassassin
07-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Could you have installed it backwards ?? Believe me I've seen this done....

I don't think so. The black plastic is towards the back of the engine bay. It also had two black pins and holes for alinement. I will check just to be sure.

NGEN
07-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Please let me know if we can be of assistance on this matter.

NOTHINGCUTEABOUTMYCAR
07-16-2014, 05:06 PM
I don't think so. The black plastic is towards the back of the engine bay. It also had two black pins and holes for alinement. I will check just to be sure.

Gotta say I'm stumped. The install on my ported TB went seamless. Nailed it the first time so not sure what could be the issue. I would remove and re-install, re-set light and test it again.

shagghie
07-16-2014, 05:18 PM
I would call either Tork or MPx and let them know. I got a bad unit from MPx the first time that had the same behavior, and they qucikly (even preemptively!) replaced it immediately and I've been good to go since. Make sure you either a) didn't over-tighten or b) din't completely tighten the two bolts, especially the one that's hard to get to on the backside. And IIRC, there is an electrical connector too...make sure that is plugged in correctly.

Lastly, you might do a throttle/atmo calibration. I forget but somethign like turn key to 'ON" and press the gas down all the way for 10 seconds, then turn off and turn back on and let idle (from cold to full water temp). Then repeat again when warm. Maybe someone else can chime in who remembers, but this helped my TB perform better after I did it especially in part-throttle situations.

NGEN
07-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Golfassassin, who did you order the throttle body from?

Golfassassin
07-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Thank you for the info. I did do the throttle reset after having a tech explain the process and rechecked every connection. It ran OK for almost two days and then it happened again this morning. At this point I am fairly certain it is the throttle body. I will work with the vendor to see about getting a replacement.

NGEN
07-17-2014, 09:39 AM
We are on it. Golfassasin, we will get you taken care of.

Golfassassin
07-17-2014, 09:42 AM
We are on it. Golfassasin, we will get you taken care of.

Great. Thank you