PDA

View Full Version : Name That Sound

littlemary1234
07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Good afternoon,
I have already been to the dealership for this, who tell me it's normal, but I don't believe them. I am hearing a rather lousy rotational, off balance 'squeaky' noise. I hear it at idle and when in motion at low RPMs, particularly 1500-1800 RPMs. Increased speed, and it goes away. The dealership is trying to feed me some bull that it's the dual dry clutch. What would the clutch have anything to do with the noise at idle? Anyway. Other than that, they find nothing wrong. The noise is damn annoying and everyone asks what's wrong with my new car. Kinda a bummer. I posted a video to my YouTube acct. use this link-
Check out this video on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/BT5xOgPisHk

I don't know how to explain the noise any other way other than a squeaky off balance Rotational belt noise sound type dealio. Can u name that sound? Any input is totally appreciated!!

littlemary1234
07-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Btw, I should mention, the noise has been there since I bought the car at 20 mi. It was not the car I test drove. The one I test drove, did not make the noise I mentioned. The salesman said it just needed to be broken in. I now have almost 2600mi on the car. Mind you, I know it's still a baby, but
I feel 'taken for a ride' if you will...

Felnus
07-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Any chance that you could do a video with the hood open and the engine running? I've had a 500L loaner for about a week and my sister owns one. Neither one made a sound like that.

Tweak
07-14-2014, 08:59 PM
#1, your username suits your voice PERFECTLY. (Sorry, but that was my first thought).

#2 I think it is very sad your studio can't crank another and then yours and hear what is obviously a very different sound between the two. I hope you can get this resolved soon, it might be beneficial to get in touch with the representative here on the forum Jonathan (FiatCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares)) to help keep track of this ongoing situation.

littlemary1234
07-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Any chance that you could do a video with the hood open and the engine running? I've had a 500L loaner for about a week and my sister owns one. Neither one made a sound like that.

Yea, i'll try and do that today when I get off work! I did notice yesterday, after having some cool monsoonal weather move in, that this tends to be most noticeable when temps are over 80 degrees outside. Thanks :)

littlemary1234
07-16-2014, 01:43 PM
#1, your username suits your voice PERFECTLY. (Sorry, but that was my first thought).

#2 I think it is very sad your studio can't crank another and then yours and hear what is obviously a very different sound between the two. I hope you can get this resolved soon, it might be beneficial to get in touch with the representative here on the forum Jonathan (FiatCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares)) to help keep track of this ongoing situation.

Thanks Tweak! And yes, the username matches me, all around ;) I'm 4'10!!

Anywho, the service dept had my car for 41 days. I've had some other strange issues.

One being a front bumper plastic that was cast improperly and doesnt match the opposite side. I have the Bosco Perla, and am told the paint and texture processing isn't available yet. I"m waiting on a revision to the painting process, which I'm told is in the works.

They did some software fixes on the UConnect, which seemed to correct, for now, choppy voice reception/feedback. Now, my backup camera is twitchy when cranking the wheel hard left, out of a parking spot. Do these cameras contain a servo or are they stationary?

They did the recall work on the gearshift assy. I'm hoping to get some better gas mileage out of it, as I notice the gear ratios seems a little more in line.

Oh yea, the dealer-installed locking device, only locks or unlocks the car between 20-50% of the depresses. I HATE having to stand next to my car or walk back to it, constantly trying to lock or unlock the doors. They relocated the antenna, but after getting it back, I dont notice any difference. Maybe I have some better range... But what good is the range if the damn doors dont lock or unlock anyway, UGH. :)

When they get this bumper piece in, I"ll head back into the studio. I'll show them my videos. I'm going to do as much research on my own, until then. None of these issues are life threatening enough to warrant the unneccesary mileage, but I do eventually want them fixed. I have a studio close to me, that I refuse to go back to (Kearny Mesa Fiat) I'd rather drive 45 miles each way, in horrible traffic, on the 5 fwy, to the Carlsbad Studio. Frankly, one of the service guys there is super apathetic and is a whole other post on its own some day.

Thanks for the tip about Jonathan (FiatCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares)) I'll definitely include him on these posts in the future, if i can't get this set straight.

Curious
07-16-2014, 09:02 PM

You sound like my Grandmother Norma. She was about your height, about 105 pounds and feisty as could be. She was not a lady to be messed with. Wish you luck getting everything fixed.

Tweak
07-16-2014, 11:55 PM

Anywho, the service dept had my car for 41 days. I've had some other strange issues.

One being a front bumper plastic that was cast improperly and doesnt match the opposite side. I have the Bosco Perla, and am told the paint and texture processing isn't available yet. I"m waiting on a revision to the painting process, which I'm told is in the works.

They did some software fixes on the UConnect, which seemed to correct, for now, choppy voice reception/feedback. Now, my backup camera is twitchy when cranking the wheel hard left, out of a parking spot. Do these cameras contain a servo or are they stationary?

They did the recall work on the gearshift assy. I'm hoping to get some better gas mileage out of it, as I notice the gear ratios seems a little more in line.

Oh yea, the dealer-installed locking device, only locks or unlocks the car between 20-50% of the depresses. I HATE having to stand next to my car or walk back to it, constantly trying to lock or unlock the doors. They relocated the antenna, but after getting it back, I dont notice any difference. Maybe I have some better range... But what good is the range if the damn doors dont lock or unlock anyway, UGH. :)

When they get this bumper piece in, I"ll head back into the studio. I'll show them my videos. I'm going to do as much research on my own, until then. None of these issues are life threatening enough to warrant the unneccesary mileage, but I do eventually want them fixed. I have a studio close to me, that I refuse to go back to (Kearny Mesa Fiat) I'd rather drive 45 miles each way, in horrible traffic, on the 5 fwy, to the Carlsbad Studio. Frankly, one of the service guys there is super apathetic and is a whole other post on its own some day.

Thanks for the tip about Jonathan (FiatCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares)) I'll definitely include him on these posts in the future, if i can't get this set straight.

Wow, your a tiny one! (Sorry, def not an insult).
I don't know much about the L so not much help, wish you luck in it all though. If it were me I would go ahead and get Jonathan (FiatCares) in on the situation so he at least can be aware of what is happening.

littlemary1234
12-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Good afternoon,
I have already been to the dealership for this, who tell me it's normal, but I don't believe them. I am hearing a rather lousy rotational, off balance 'squeaky' noise. I hear it at idle and when in motion at low RPMs, particularly 1500-1800 RPMs. Increased speed, and it goes away. The dealership is trying to feed me some bull that it's the dual dry clutch. What would the clutch have anything to do with the noise at idle? Anyway. Other than that, they find nothing wrong. The noise is damn annoying and everyone asks what's wrong with my new car. Kinda a bummer. I posted a video to my YouTube acct. use this link-
Check out this video on YouTube:

I don't know how to explain the noise any other way other than a squeaky off balance Rotational belt noise sound type dealio. Can u name that sound? Any input is totally appreciated!!

In case anyone is interested, I mentioned the noise to the techs again (5th time) when I went in for some other services. They ended up using a stephescope and determined the turbo was causing it. The turbo was replaced and my gas mileage immediately shot up from 19MPG city/hwy to between 25-29MPG city/hwy. I still hear the rotational noise, but now it sounds more normal (not off balanced or wobbly).

bryanintowson
12-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Wow!

Tweak
12-02-2014, 10:31 PM
In case anyone is interested, I mentioned the noise to the techs again (5th time) when I went in for some other services. They ended up using a stephescope and determined the turbo was causing it. The turbo was replaced and my gas mileage immediately shot up from 19MPG city/hwy to between 25-29MPG city/hwy. I still hear the rotational noise, but now it sounds more normal (not off balanced or wobbly).

Great to hear it is resolved FINALLY and you are now getting the right mileage range one should expect.