PDA

View Full Version : Never ending issues with 500L

Stacey Willard
07-05-2014, 04:45 PM
I had hoped that once the transmission issue was fixed (recall) that I would be done with problems for a long while with my 500L. I did go a few months without problems but now my check engine light came on and they couldn't get my car in the shop for over 2 weeks (tech was on vacation) and of course the check engine light went out, but it was an issue I was having before the recall. I'm hoping it stored the code. I also have a loud rubbing/scraping sound when I turn my steering wheel hard right, which I have to in the parking garage at work to get out of certain parking spaces. Now today, one of the key fobs stops working, it's not even the one I use daily. I think it may be a bad battery (I took it out and put it back in and it worked), but that fob is maybe used once a week to unlock the car, so it should not have gone bad already in less than a year. I'm hoping a new battery will fix it but wondering if there's something else causing the battery to go bad in it so quick. My last car was 9 years old and never had to replace the battery in either key fob. I think I am going to put the lemon law in motion after I get it in next week to the shop. It's already had more than 30 days in the shop (it was in for 5 weeks straight waiting for the transmission recall), but closer to 6 or 6.5 weeks with all the other times it has been in.

I'm just really bummed about the reliability of this car. It also has tons of rattles in it and it only has 8500 miles on it, my 9 year old Suzuki Verona that I traded in barely rattled at all.

Wolfepaw
07-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Probably the same issue many of us experienced and reported last year. As long as the check engine light stays solid, nothing to freak out about. The fact it turned off is a good sign. I think there is a TSB out there about the check engine light coming on.

Andree
07-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Oh dear, I'm so sorry. It sounds to me like you've hit the point of "OMG, now what?" when something happens with your L. I've hit that point with other cars myself, they were older cars, but it's a point of no return.

If you dread getting into the car, then it's time to get out. And that I had with my last car, with the bump on the lower part of the seat that hurt my back. The thought of having to deal with the pressure on my back was too much, and I just couldn't bear it anymore.

I'm not sure if you should try another L or not. There's the new Jeep and the new 500X coming, but both will be first year cars too.

Maybe next vehicle should be a short lease. A year or two. See how it performs. If it does very well, then buy the lease, if it's a good price. Or consider buying the model new.

Leasing is an option that many folks swear by. They get a new car every few years, that is always under warranty. If you find one that you absolutely love, that is dependable, stick with it.

There will always be bad cars mixed in with the good, and good ones mixed in with the bad. It just isn't working right for you, for whatever reasons, and that specific 500L may have become a burden for you. Another one might be completely issue-free. We don't know that for sure, because a lot may depend on driving habits and location where the car is being driven. Like if the car has weak points, and you just happen to live in the area where it will bring out the weak points, then none of them might do well.

Kind of an example of that was a car I had that would run hot. To make matters worse, the car was black, and I lived in a scorching inland area. No garage space, so the car was already hot hot hot under the hood before even starting it. It's a recipe for disaster. My own driving habits, plus the area I was in, led to slow driving, lots of idling, not a lot of air flow into the engine compartment.

Both the car and I suffered through our years together. LOL.

I would be cautious with buying any vehicle that has only ONE tech who knows what to do at any dealership. That's nuts. They need more people who know what to do and perhaps need to add an hour to their day or have half-day/all-day Saturday Service hours. Because they're in the business to sell AND service vehicles. If they can't service the vehicles they've already sold, how will they ever be able to service more vehicles that they want to sell, and service new models?

Do what you can to keep it on the road, and start the lemon process, since there is some kind of time limit on it. See what happens along the way. And keep us updated!

Fiat500USA
07-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear you're having troubles. Maybe stop by a place like AutoZone and have them scan your car. Even if the light is out you may have a stored code. Write it down and let us know what it is. Key FOBs batteries are hit or miss. Sometimes they last forever and sometimes not. I guess it is possible there could be something wrong with a FOB and there is something drawing a battery down. I don't know how you would check that, but let the dealer know and document it. The easiest thing would be to change the battery and see how long it last.

For the scrape, Turn the steering wheel until you hear it scrape and get out of the car to see if there are any road debris stuck in the wheel well. Maybe something simple as that. Could be a loose cover that needs to be adjusted. You may see a worn, shiny or clean spot on one of the plastic covers that would give you a hint. Good luck and let us know.

smark
07-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Wow, we just replaced the key fob battery, last Saturday in our 7 year old Honda Fit.

Sounds to me, you have a lot of minor issues, that can be fixed pretty easy.

Good Luck

Curious
07-07-2014, 08:29 PM
My other car is a 2007 Toyota F J Cruiser, used to tow my sailboat. I bought it brand new in 2006 as a 2007 model and have never had to replace the battery in either of my 2 F J key fobs. Have already had to replace batteries in both key fobs for my 500L which I have had for about 10 months now. I keep spare batteries handy for the Fiat keys fobs.

Stacey Willard
07-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Well, the dealership said a code was stored for oxygen sensor error but they ran diagnostics on it and couldn't find any issues. I am going to see if the engine light comes on again and that will be when I pursuit lemon law (or if some new issue crops up). It will be the 3rd or 4th time it's come on and I already have 5 straight weeks in the garage for one repair (the recall) and about 6 to 7 weeks total in the shop over the past year, so I have already reached lemon law limit for time in the repair shop, and if the check engine light comes on it will be at least the 3rd time it's come on that they haven't been able to fix. I also had rust on my brakes that was causing a scraping sound when I made a right turn. This car has more rattles and squeaks than the 9 year old Suzuki I traded in, now that was a solidly built car, believe it or not. The front door creaks like it's out of alignment or something, but they couldn't find anything and lubed it but it didn't help.

Wolfepaw
07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Well, the dealership said a code was stored for oxygen sensor error but they ran diagnostics on it and couldn't find any issues. I am going to see if the engine light comes on again and that will be when I pursuit lemon law (or if some new issue crops up). It will be the 3rd or 4th time it's come on and I already have 5 straight weeks in the garage for one repair (the recall) and about 6 to 7 weeks total in the shop over the past year, so I have already reached lemon law limit for time in the repair shop, and if the check engine light comes on it will be at least the 3rd time it's come on that they haven't been able to fix. I also had rust on my brakes that was causing a scraping sound when I made a right turn. This car has more rattles and squeaks than the 9 year old Suzuki I traded in, now that was a solidly built car, believe it or not. The front door creaks like it's out of alignment or something, but they couldn't find anything and lubed it but it didn't help.

That sounds exactly like the issue that is covered in the TSB I mentioned. Considering the TSB came out in I think August last year, I am surprised they are not aware of that one at your service department.

Stacey Willard
07-14-2014, 10:08 AM
That sounds exactly like the issue that is covered in the TSB I mentioned. Considering the TSB came out in I think August last year, I am surprised they are not aware of that one at your service department.

When it was in earlier in the year all that time, they said they hoped that the TSB update for the checking engine light would fix the problem, but apparently it hasn't. I'm emailing the service department and asking the guy I deal with if that may still be the problem.

Thanks!