PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Brake Line Installation Question

nilfinite
07-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Have been having a bear of a time installing the brake lines... For anyone that's installed the brake lines, was there a lip at the end of the brake line fitting that prevents you of easily removing the original line and installing a new brake line? When I was taking off the OEM brake line, I was spinning the line for hours until I realized that it was just spinning but not separating from the fitting. Unlike the Wilwood video where the original brake line just came off easily (I also couldn't unscrew it with my hands like he could).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuYZYOk2Bo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuYZYOk2Bo

Eventually I had to use leverage to get the original line out. Now I'm trying to force the new brake line onto the fitting and it won't go on, guessing I just need two pliers to force it back on there?

Would love to hear anyone elses experience with the brake line install. I've been at this for hours now.

nilfinite
07-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Picture of the brake line fitting enclosed, is this normal for you guys?

trevc
07-04-2014, 05:23 PM
I had similar issues when I did mine. I think they were way over torqued at the factory. Managed to get them all done except one of the left rears. Ended up having to have it towed to the dealer to replace the complete hard line from the master cylinder to the left rear :-(

docron
07-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Is that picture of front brakeline fitting? And it attached to this right...?

That nut on the stock brakeline fitting should be recessed in those grooves so it wont spin and spin when you detach brakeline . I did have a fitting like that pictured that the SS line fit over and i screwed down on...i dont know if this helps or not...

docron
07-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Unless the thread on the fitting is now stripped or rather, cross threaded.... Did you try screwing on the other new SS line or even the old one to see if the thread is good or not? Hopefully its not crossthreaded....keep us updated...

Will pray for you....

nilfinite
07-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Unless the thread on the fitting is now stripped or rather, cross threaded.... Did you try screwing on the other new SS line or even the old one to see if the thread is good or not? Hopefully its not crossthreaded....keep us updated...

Will pray for you....

Thanks docron, really appreciate it.

I'm having trouble with the front left. I tried the rear left after and that one came out like a dream. I could unscrew the brake line fitting by hand and thread the new line by hand. The whole brake rotor, pad and line replacement took no time at all. I'm going to try the rear right and the finally the front right. Hoping that the front right doesn't have the same problems. I'm also hoping I learn something when taking out the front right that will help with the front left.

When I unscrewed the brake line fitting on the front left, I had to unscrew the line from the fitting with a wrench on the fitting and on the line the entire time. I'm worried I might have to do what Trevc did and replace the whole hard line in the front left.

nilfinite
07-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I did try reinstalling the old line but couldn't get it to thread. I'm also worried its cross threaded. That could explain why it was so hard to get it off in the first place.

Although, the rear left did have a slightly different brake line fitting, it didn't have the lip at the end like the one in the picture. I think the lip is what's giving me trouble.

docron
07-04-2014, 06:25 PM
No probs....if we can share information and experiences, we can continue to learn from each other... :)

If you can, take step by step pictures when you tackle front right line or even stop if things get difficult. It should't be that hard to unscrew brakeline from fitting. Mine unscrewed super easy (even by hand) after loosening nut with wrench... To be honest, I was much more concerned, at the time, of brake fluid getting on the body's paint.

Also, i know this advice is too late for you but for the benefit of others...when replacing stock brakelines, do front lines first in any order, then rear driver side and then finish up with rear passenger lines. Reason is that it is advised that you bleed the lines in order of farthest from cylinder to closest. Therefore, bleed rear passenger side first, rear driver next, front passenger next and finish with bleed of front driver line.

Otherwise, if you start with replacing the easier rear lines first and then the front lines, unless you have a lift, you'll be somewhat inefficient in management of your floor jack and jackstands because you'll be going back and forth from rear to front back to rear then back to front....lol. I wasted a lot of time doing that and didnt figure that out til halfway through....lol

nilfinite
07-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Hmmm. I tried the front right and had the same problem. I could unscrew it by hand until a certain point but couldn't go further. So I just gave up and screwed the original back in. I'm pretty sure the front left fitting got cross threaded when I was removing the old line.

The rear lines were super easy and straightforward. Looks like I'm due for a trip to the dealer :(

Going to ask them to install the front lines for me as well as likely replace the hard line on the front left. Lesson learned for next time, install mods right when you buy the car before things start getting seized up. Or let someone else install the lines for you that knows what should and shouldn't be happening.

docron
07-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Sorry to hear that.....keep us up to date on what they figured out....

nilfinite
07-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Looking online, tube is surprisingly cheap. Is this the right line for the front left?

http://www.fiatpartswebstore.com/products/FIAT/2013/500/TUBE-Left-Brake-BRD-Or-BR4--HCU-to-Front-Hose/8428525/68074058AC.html

docron
07-04-2014, 10:28 PM
68074058AC

Left front hose for $4.48? I don' t know......

nilfinite
07-04-2014, 10:56 PM
68074058AC

Left front hose for $4.48? I don' t know......

Agreed, it looks almost too cheap.

nilfinite
07-14-2014, 06:17 PM
To complete this thread: Basically if you really really want to get it done yourself. You need to buy a file and a thread die (M10x1). The overtighted line caused the brake fitting to mushroom out a bit on the bottom. The mushroomed out brake fitting was the reason why it was so hard to untighten and to remove the stock line. You will need to file the brake fitting down until it's flat and then restore the threads using a thread die.

streetsurfer
07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
I have these to do yet, so thanks much for posting the possible complication and remedy.

Abnormalradio13
07-18-2014, 05:55 PM
I just got my RRM brake lines installed today and the techs at the dealership couldn't get brake line in the passenger rear off. they said it wouldn't buldge even a little. Any advice

AudiGuy
07-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Picture of the brake line fitting enclosed, is this normal for you guys?

Guys I'm going to take a stab at this issue. I've seen the title of the thread, but just now getting into it. First of all, are the tips of the fittings on the good side (the ones you didn't have problems with) mushroomed like the one in the picture above? If not, then I 2nd the over tightened theory. It seems that tip should be flared and not mushroomed like that. If someone were to over tighten a flared fitting like that, it would mash the flared mating surface inside the female end of the fitting. If there is enough room inside the female end, the flared tip of the male end will fill that gap and expand/mushroom. Which could be why it was so difficult to remove (because the diameter of the male fittings tip, is now wider than the threaded female fitting).
Sorry, I know that might not be very clear. But if you can confirm that the seat/tip of that brake line is supposed to be flared and not mushroomed, then you need to replace the fitting. Just cut the tip of the line, reflare, and reconnect. I could be wrong. But based on what I'm seeing, I would start there first.

nilfinite
07-18-2014, 07:35 PM
I just got my RRM brake lines installed today and the techs at the dealership couldn't get brake line in the passenger rear off. they said it wouldn't buldge even a little. Any advice

Yeah, most likely you have the same issue that I faced with overtighted brake fittings. AudiGuy description is exactly what happened to my brake lines and likely what has happened to your brake lines too. The best solution would be to have them to replace the hard line (the black metal line).

The easiest solution is to use PB blaster or another lubricant and then forcibly unthread the brake fitting from the line. After they are done unthreading, forcibly separate the brake line from the brake fitting. After that, the mushroomed part of the brake fitting needs to be filled down so that the new brake line with fit. I used a thread die (M10x1.0) as well because it was much easier to test fit with the thread die than the brake line itself.

AudiGuy
07-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, most likely you have the same issue that I faced with overtighted brake fittings. AudiGuy description is exactly what happened to my brake lines and likely what has happened to your brake lines too. The best solution would be to have them to replace the hard line (the black metal line).

The easiest solution is to use PB blaster or another lubricant and then forcibly unthread the brake fitting from the line. After they are done unthreading, forcibly separate the brake line from the brake fitting. After that, the mushroomed part of the brake fitting needs to be filled down so that the new brake line with fit. I used a thread die (M10x1.0) as well because it was much easier to test fit with the thread die than the brake line itself.

Replacing the entire hard line probably isn't necessary. You can cut the line and reflare it with a new fitting. Since you're switching to stainless lines, you can reposition the stainless line to make up for the loss of length on the hard line. Just get a clean cut and take your time.

nilfinite
07-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Hmmm I believe Trevc did something similar to that and had to get his car towed to the dealership. His solution was to get the overtighted hard lines replaced. Luckily the guy is having the dealership do it so they could fix it if things go awry.

trevc
07-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Depends which line is the issue. Mine was left rear and there was not enough room in there or enough extra length to cut and reflare the line.

Hmmm I believe Trevc did something similar to that and had to get his car towed to the dealership. His solution was to get the overtighted hard lines replaced. Luckily the guy is having the dealership do it so they could fix it if things go awry.

AudiGuy
07-18-2014, 11:01 PM

Repairing is always better than replacing. As long as there is room to get in there, it should be repairable.