PDA

View Full Version : Wilwoods on the rear?

davidjon_99
07-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Just about convinced myself to install Wilwood brakes on the front, but haven't decided whether to install them on the rear. It looks like their rear kit is a single piston caliper and offers a larger rotor that is vented. Just not sure if that is needed on the Abarth.

I drive mostly street and might be doing a few track days, but might also do some autocross in the future.

I'm leaning toward the plan faced rotors vs. the drilled and slotted.

Should I go with the rears set also? What are your thoughts on plain rotors vs drilled/slotted on front?

Thanks!

Abarth Five O
07-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Wilwood front only should be more than sufficient for your use. You can always add the rears later on if you feel you need more braking power in the rear. A few members have indicated that slotted rotors have worked well for their Abarths. I prefer drilled/slotted rotors for additional cooling benefits and visual effects.

davidjon_99
07-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Wilwood front only should be more than sufficient for your use. You can always add the rears later on if you feel you need more braking power in the rear. A few members have indicated that slotted rotors have worked well for their Abarths. I prefer drilled/slotted rotors for additional cooling benefits and visual effects.

Thanks! I know I really don't _need_ them, but it's one of the things I'd just really _like_ to have. dancingsmilies

trevc
07-03-2014, 03:26 PM
The standard front Abarth brakes are more than big enough for this car. If anything, just do the rears to balance out the braking bias a little better.

Gharbeson
07-03-2014, 04:11 PM
The standard front Abarth brakes are more than big enough for this car. If anything, just do the rears to balance out the braking bias a little better.
I agree! never had any brake fade. I've replaced my pads once this year. If you put on good ones spring for a high quality.

stealthy1ss
07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
If you plan on doing track days stay away from drilled rotors. When they get hot they tend to crack between the holes. As far as the stock brake calipers, I have had problems with mine getting too hot during track days so I see Wilwood fronts as a good up grade and the rears would probably just be a little over kill.

Alec
07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I did both front and rear and love these brakes. I got the standard rotors.

I did both so that the vehicle has the braking balanced as intended by Wilwood. No more hard brake shimmy with the rear end trying to come around. I had mine done right before the Abarth Experience and was very pleased after I drove the stockers on the track, then got in mine to go home.

HF Stinger
07-15-2014, 06:41 PM
If you plan on doing track days stay away from drilled rotors. When they get hot they tend to crack between the holes. As far as the stock brake calipers, I have had problems with mine getting too hot during track days so I see Wilwood fronts as a good up grade and the rears would probably just be a little over kill.

If you are getting drilled brake rotors hot enough to crack on an Abarth you are doing something wrong.

Viper SRT? Yes, a concern. Abarth 500? Not.

Tweak
07-15-2014, 07:44 PM
If you are getting drilled brake rotors hot enough to crack on an Abarth you are doing something wrong.

Viper SRT? Yes, a concern. Abarth 500? Not.

I would guess this would be somewhat dependent on the quality of the rotors in question. Cracking has been a real concern for the Miata crowd as well so I think it was worth the mention.

Daddy Vroom
07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
I've had the Willwood brakes on my car since December last year, no problems, I am running the drilled and slotted rotors. Night and day difference.
I was lucky enough to have experienced the factory brakes over heating on a spirited canyon run and to say the least, it definitely showed me a week point.
Worth the invest meet all the way.
Running my car at Streets of Willow on the 26th, might be trying a different pad that they offer, still have plenty of pad left on them so I don't need to, just want to for comparison purposes

trevc
07-16-2014, 09:04 AM
A lot depends on how big your b*lls are; use the brakes a lot and they will get hot; stay off them and they won't biggrin

AbarthFox
04-21-2017, 01:51 PM
those of you running wilwoods: are you running the 4 or 6 piston version at the front. Thank you.

BuzzBomb
05-28-2017, 03:15 PM
those of you running wilwoods: are you running the 4 or 6 piston version at the front. Thank you.
Wilwood only offers the six piston caliper for the front of the 500. What four piston caliper are you speaking of?