PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Sticks?

Alan Go
06-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

New 500L Easy (the car, not the owner) owner here!

I was wondering if anyone has had turn signal issues. If I use it halfway and let it go, sometimes it sticks and no matter how much I signal full left or full right, it takes a few changes until I can stop it from signalling.

Is it a defective part?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Robert Nixon
06-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 500L.

Sorry I can't offer much help, other than to observe that this might be the first time this issue has come up on the forum.

Is it only sticking for the right or left, or does it stick both ways? Just trying to narrow it down.

Alan Go
06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

The usual scenario goes:

I pull the signal halfway for the right. It blinks and keeps blinking right.
I then pull it full to the left and then to off position and it sticks to the left.
I then pull it full to the right and then to the off position and it sticks to the right.
I repeat left, right, left, right and then at some point it stops and then works fine.

I didn't want to bring it in to the dealer yet because of it being intermittent. I wanted to poll the real 500L experts here (all of you) before I brought it up!

Thanks for the quick response!

mactography
06-30-2014, 02:44 PM
To remedy the issues I've had with the blinkers on my Abarth they're replaced the Body Control Module (referred to as the BCM by techs) and the clock spring mechanism (basically the entire blinker shroud). These haven't resolved the issue yet for me since my issue isn't the exact same, but instead my left signals (front, side and rear) don't work due to an overcharge issue. (Bad fuses I presume)

Either way, this is a parts issue as far as I can tell and maybe relates to your problem. Hopefully this will help lead to a solution for you.

Atrus1212
06-30-2014, 03:08 PM
If you dont "click" it down fully then it will blink a few times then turn off.... it does this on the regular 500s as well as a number of other vehicles.... I like to call it the lane changed signal since even if you're in the clear to change lanes youre still supposed to use the blinker...

or you could always use your hand signals....

mactography
06-30-2014, 03:21 PM
If you dont "click" it down fully then it will blink a few times then turn off.... it does this on the regular 500s as well as a number of other vehicles.... I like to call it the lane changed signal since even if you're in the clear to change lanes youre still supposed to use the blinker...

or you could always use your hand signals....

Ah, this is the courtesy signal. If you half-press it'll blink 3 times, but I didn't think this was what he was referring to. If that's the case then it isn't a problem, but rather a nice addition to the car.

Atrus1212
06-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Ah, this is the courtesy signal. If you half-press it'll blink 3 times, but I didn't think this was what he was referring to. If that's the case then it isn't a problem, but rather a nice addition to the car.

Thats what it sounds like to me.... once you start the courtesy signal you cant stop it

Alan Go
07-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Thats what it sounds like to me.... once you start the courtesy signal you cant stop it

If it stopped after 3 blinks, that would be awesome! But, unfortunately, it just blinks and blinks and blinks... and blinks....

But I'll double check anyway... Maybe I am just too impatient for that third and final blink!

Thanks guys! If it's not a figment of my imagination, I'll just bring it in to the dealer since I'm barely over 2K miles!

Atrus1212
07-01-2014, 12:00 PM
If it stopped after 3 blinks, that would be awesome! But, unfortunately, it just blinks and blinks and blinks... and blinks....

But I'll double check anyway... Maybe I am just too impatient for that third and final blink!

Thanks guys! If it's not a figment of my imagination, I'll just bring it in to the dealer since I'm barely over 2K miles!

Its possible as well since I dont have or really have driven a 500L for an length of time that the courtesy signal is longer... but there could also be a flash for it. If I have some time I'll get the keys to one and see what it does.

markinmad
07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
The 500 blinks 3 times, the 500L blinks 5 times for the courtesy (lane change) signal. Page 108 in your owners manual explains it.

www.fiatusa.com/download/pdf/manuals/2014-FIAT-500L-OM-1st.pdf

Alan Go
07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
The 500 blinks 3 times, the 500L blinks 5 times for the courtesy (lane change) signal. Page 108 in your owners manual explains it.

www.fiatusa.com/download/pdf/manuals/2014-FIAT-500L-OM-1st.pdf

Wow... Thanks Mark for proving that I should have RTFM :)

I'll check at lunch if it's set to 5 or if it's more!

Thanks again!
Alan

Alan Go
07-02-2014, 11:23 AM
So, I'm feeling silly...:o

You're right, markinmad, it flashes 5 times and stops. It's very convenient now that I know what it's for!

Thanks all!

Alec
07-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Sometimes the fix is tightening the loose nut behind the wheel :-)

No worries; we've all been there and had our "duh" moments.

Robert Nixon
07-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Nice to see this one figured out! Reminds me of folks discovering that with the windshield wipers on, when you shift into reverse the rear wiper automatically comes on too!

Tweak
07-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Nice to see this one figured out! Reminds me of folks discovering that with the windshield wipers on, when you shift into reverse the rear wiper automatically comes on too!

HA, I recall people thinking something had to be wrong with their car. :D

markinmad
07-03-2014, 04:38 PM
No problem, :joyous: I've become so accustomed to it that I find myself trying it in other cars to no avail.

Late model VWs also have the lane change signal and if you're geeky enough to have the VCDS software you can change the number of blinks.

Tweak
07-03-2014, 05:49 PM
No problem, :joyous: I've become so accustomed to it that I find myself trying it in other cars to no avail.

You're not alone with this situation. :( I miss it in other vehicles.

Radagast
07-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Actually we can interrupt the three blink cycle.

I like to do slow lane changes when there is a lot of room and little traffic. I taught myself how to get the turn signal to blink once. so I can do a slow Blink... Blink...

-Hold the courtesy to trigger the three (or five) blinks. -Hold it thru the first blink. -Release immediately after the first blink is off. Viola- one blink.