PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Cruise Control

jlasinski
06-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Anyone else having intermittent problems with their cruise control not working. I have had several occasions where my cruise has not worked. If I turn off the car and restart it, it works fine. Not sure why. Thanks, John

Fiat500USA
06-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Anyone else having intermittent problems with their cruise control not working. I have had several occasions where my cruise has not worked. If I turn off the car and restart it, it works fine. Not sure why. Thanks, John

Any check engine lights or mods done? What happens? Does it just turn off while driving or you can't turn it on at all?

Tweak
06-23-2014, 11:12 PM

There have been a couple people including myself discussing this type of issue. For me it requires several factors to occur. Can you reply to what was asked by Fiat500USA... can you offer more details and be somewhat specific if you would as it will help in answering you properly?

Luv2byte
06-23-2014, 11:16 PM
We did, turned out to be a faulty brake sensor. tiny part, big annoyance.

Robert Nixon
06-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Mine is not an L, it's a 2013 Abarth, and I've got 31,000 miles and had the cruise control go out briefly just a week ago. It was working fine as I was on the interstate, I turned it off in heavy traffic, then when I went back to CC it didn't do anything, no lights or anything. Stopped for gas, restarted car, and it came back right away. Hopefully just a one time thing, but will take it in if it happens again.

zyxelenator
06-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Mine is not an L, it's a 2013 Abarth, and I've got 31,000 miles and had the cruise control go out briefly just a week ago. It was working fine as I was on the interstate, I turned it off in heavy traffic, then when I went back to CC it didn't do anything, no lights or anything. Stopped for gas, restarted car, and it came back right away. Hopefully just a one time thing, but will take it in if it happens again.
I had same problems with MM box, it would happen sometimes as often as after driving 70 miles on CC. "Flash symbol" lights up, and code regarding TB or air filter would pop up(don't remember code). Restarting car cured it every time. Car would go in kinda limp mode and CC would sometimes not work at all during that.

jlasinski
06-24-2014, 11:39 AM
I have had no check engine lights and the car has not been modified. It hasn't gone out while using it, just doesn't turn on every once and awhile. If I turn off the car and restart it, it usually corrects itself and works again. It is very sporadic and doesn't do it all the time

Tweak
06-24-2014, 10:48 PM
I have had no check engine lights and the car has not been modified. It hasn't gone out while using it, just doesn't turn on every once and awhile. If I turn off the car and restart it, it usually corrects itself and works again. It is very sporadic and doesn't do it all the time

I'd hope for a software update from the dealer that helps.

I have noted it when driving long distances at higher speeds and with an ECU mod, then and only then has this situation occurred (so far). Hopefully your situation will be easily resolved.

(For the record I am also in an Abarth but since it seems to happen to more than just the L I popped in to share and add to the list in case it helps narrow down the specifics).

katierobinson72
09-02-2014, 09:29 AM
I have the exact same problem with my 500L. Taking it to the dealer this week.

ladygodiva70
09-08-2014, 03:33 AM
Same issue here. Happens once in a while. I've also had the same thing happen with the radio. Freezes up. Turn off the car and start it back up... It works. And once when I had my window sitting half way open, I pushed the button to roll it down all the way and instead it rolled up!! Only ever happened once, but had to open the door to get my Tim Hortons coffee at the drive thru. LOL

IT's definitely the most quirky car I've ever owned.

Major
03-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Really hate to revive this very old thread, but it appears that this cruise control problem has become a recurring issue that seems to strike randomly throughout the Fiat line. My 2016 Fiat 500X Pop has been at the FCA dealer for three weeks awaiting parts (switches) to clear an intermittent cruise control failure. First to be changed was the clutch switch (linked to the clutch arm via a plastic pin on the left), then the cruise switch (steering wheel), and now the brake switch (?). We've seen cruise control problems on Fiat 500, 500L and now 500X models. What's to be done? Nothing really, other than to be aware that this has become a more or less common problem for Fiat and report it if it's happening to you.

FiatCares
03-03-2016, 11:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this experience. Has the studio given you a timeline for part arrival/repair completion?

JWD
03-03-2016, 01:06 PM
The cruise control on my 2014 500L will occasionally not function. I came to think of this as a start-up check sequence issue (probably software): if the car is happy about the cruise control when it starts up, cruise control is available and works fine -- if not, it doesn't see the cruise control, and cruise control is not enabled, until re-started, when it can be detected again. It doesn't happen often, and hasn't happened in a while. Certainly nothing I'd have the Studio start re-building the car from scratch over. GL, let us know how it turns out.

Major
03-04-2016, 12:25 PM
No timeline yet, but I do have a 2015 500L Lounge loaner to use. It will be a month next week... The studio says they have opened a file with FCA, so I expect some factory involvement. I'm willing to be patient, since this is a first year model and the cruise control problem extends across the entire Fiat line, both in the US and Europe. The street says FCA just issued a recall for the 500e, for cruise control issues, so there's that. Doesn't do much good to get excited... yet!

William M Jacocks Jr
03-05-2016, 02:44 PM
I have had this problem too. It will sometimes not activate when I push the button, or it will just shut off on it's own randomly. I did notice that when it's not working, the shifting is a bit harder (clunky). It always corrects itself upon restart. I have actually had this happen on the interstate starting a long drive and didn't feel like pulling over, clutched it turn the engine off and back on, pop the clutch and started back up while still maintaining speed. It actually corrected the issue. I do want to know that the problem is, the local dealer kept it for a day (with an oil change) and reset the computers and all 3 times but could never repeat the issue.

Major
03-09-2016, 06:27 PM
No timeline yet, but I do have a 2015 500L Lounge loaner to use. It will be a month next week... The studio says they have opened a file with FCA, so I expect some factory involvement. I'm willing to be patient, since this is a first year model and the cruise control problem extends across the entire Fiat line, both in the US and Europe. The street says FCA just issued a recall for the 500e, for cruise control issues, so there's that. Doesn't do much good to get excited... yet!

My 500X Pop 6M is back home at last, after almost a month at the dealer's awaiting a fix for intermittent cruise control failure. The warranty fix was to replace the entire clutch pedal assembly, after first replacing several other components. Works like a charm now. The only casualty is the tuning knob on the radio that somehow got mangled in the process - can't imagine how... This has made me re-think the purchase of a Fiat 124 spider this year; not helped by the fact that my local studio knows nothing about it. On the other hand, I did install the Wood Company armrest and am really impressed with how easy it was to do and how nicely the rest fits and works. No, Fiat does not include this in the 500X Pop 6M, and it's a $300 Mopar option. Really pleased with it... and glad to be out of the 2015 Fiat 500L Lounge loaner car at last.

Tweak
03-09-2016, 10:20 PM
My 500X Pop 6M is back home at last, after almost a month at the dealer's awaiting a fix for intermittent cruise control failure. The warranty fix was to replace the entire clutch pedal assembly, after first replacing several other components. Works like a charm now. The only casualty is the tuning knob on the radio that somehow got mangled in the process - can't imagine how... This has made me re-think the purchase of a Fiat 124 spider this year; not helped by the fact that my local studio knows nothing about it. On the other hand, I did install the Wood Company armrest and am really impressed with how easy it was to do and how nicely the rest fits and works. No, Fiat does not include this in the 500X Pop 6M, and it's a $300 Mopar option. Really pleased with it... and glad to be out of the 2015 Fiat 500L Lounge loaner car at last.

Glad you are back in your ride but sorry the radio knob ended up a casualty.

jlhawkinson
08-10-2016, 08:40 PM
I have had this problem too. It will sometimes not activate when I push the button, or it will just shut off on it's own randomly. I did notice that when it's not working, the shifting is a bit harder (clunky). It always corrects itself upon restart. I have actually had this happen on the interstate starting a long drive and didn't feel like pulling over, clutched it turn the engine off and back on, pop the clutch and started back up while still maintaining speed. It actually corrected the issue. I do want to know that the problem is, the local dealer kept it for a day (with an oil change) and reset the computers and all 3 times but could never repeat the issue.

This just started happening with our 2012 Abarth. It has happened twice. We had done the same as mentioned here. Stop, turn off car, and restart. Cruise will then work fine. We have almost 45K miles on this one.

Any other solutions other than the faulty brake sensor? And how much did it cost to fix that?

William M Jacocks Jr
08-11-2016, 09:49 PM
I haven't heard anything more. And since there is no more dealer/repair shop within 4 hours of me (one way) :disgust: I have just not bothered. It's always an easy reset and move on.

jlhawkinson
08-12-2016, 08:24 PM
I haven't heard anything more. And since there is no more dealer/repair shop within 4 hours of me (one way) :disgust: I have just not bothered. It's always an easy reset and move on.

Tell me about it. While not as bad as you, it is a 2 1/2 hour drive (one way) to reach a dealer/repair shop. We have a Chrysler dealership who will do oil changes, but you ask them to touch anything else and they freak out. Bad part is that I take it to a Chrysler dealership 2 1/2 hours away, across the street from the Fiat dealership, because that is where the service department is located. Seriously!! We own two Fiats and are seeing more and more in the area. Open more shops, or get more technicians certified please!

revrev
11-06-2016, 09:35 PM
I have a 2012 Abarth that I bought 3/2015 w/ 32k miles. In the summer it started having this problem, always after I was stuck in stop and go traffic in hot weather. Once the stop and go stopped, turn the key off and on it came back. It has been a regular occurrence since I have had the car, nor w/ 59k. I happen to live about 2 miles from the nearest studio, so I took it while it was still under warranty. They updated the ECU, but it had no effect. I have noticed that whenever it happens, the boost is limited to about 5 lbs, so my guess is it is some sort of heat protection in the programming that may be getting overly enthusiastic.

Mucci
12-13-2017, 06:13 PM
I may have found a fix that doesn’t involve turning the car off. I noticed that when the cruise won’t work at speed simply pressing the “MENU/escape” button and scrolling through the menu then back to the main display will cause it to work again.

Sounds random but Ive successfully had this work the past 4 or 5 times cruise was faulty.

Im in a 500 Sport 5spd.