PDA

View Full Version : Did we miss the Dodge version of the FIAT or is this something else?

Robert Nixon
06-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Early in May when Chrysler and FIAT were announcing future plans, did anyone see this, a planned smaller-than-a-DART Dodge that looks like a FIAT 500?

This is labeled as a "rendering", so it's not a photo, but holy cow!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/dodge-bringing-out-tiny-easier-to-dodge-sedan-and-hatch-for-2018/

shadowshaggy
06-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Good Lord, I hope that stays a rendering.....ruin my resale value......

opiateESP
06-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Yeah... no.

Looks like what would happen if you gave an 8 year old a dremmel, the grill from a Dodge and some superglue.

Felnus
06-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Pretty sure you can thank the folks at Car and Driver for that lousy Photoshop mashup. They've been hating on FIAT quite a bit. I guess FCA doesn't purchase enough ad space. I used to subscribe but canceled several years ago when their reviews started becoming so obviously biased they weren't even worth the ridiculously low rate I had.

MarkG
06-18-2014, 05:53 AM
At least C&D didn't picture it in a junk yard like they did to an Opel Station Wagon in the 60s

trevc
06-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Looks like it got a big smile :-)

smark
06-18-2014, 08:55 AM
That's the new Dodge Neon.

bryanintowson
06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Kill it with fire!

Corrnaus
06-18-2014, 05:41 PM
could help with under the hood temperatures

Sales@roadrace
06-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Give us the Fiat Ottimo!

crazyirish
06-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Definitely a badly done photochop...

lammie200
06-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Does anyone believe that the Italians would allow this to happen? I seriously doubt it.

junnyquest
06-18-2014, 10:23 PM
I think C+D was just having a little fun with the photo while pointing out the Dodge/FIAT connection. The article talks about upcoming B segment models. Obviously, with the 500 being an A segment car, the Dodges will be new designs.

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 09:37 AM
I guess Im the only one that thinks a grill opening is a good idea. A replacement grill in there would be nice and increase radiator flow. Granted it looks like ass because of the dodge grill. But the opening is needed if you ask me.

MAZ
06-20-2014, 11:01 AM
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12476&d=1403060990

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1397/86/1397863027038.jpg

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 11:04 AM
A different grill in there would make it look much better.

Tweak
06-20-2014, 11:52 AM
A different grill in there would make it look much better.

Get out your Dremel and give us some examples. :D

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Get out your Dremel and give us some examples. :D

Ive already been kicking around this idea. Ill be meeting with a buddy of mine this weekend who is a metal shaping god. Im going to have him make a boser hood attachment for me. Ill talk to him about making an insert/grill for the front bumper. He should be able to crank out something nice in an hour tops. It will require losing the mustache though (which I have no problem with)

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Can someone photoshop that grill and turn it upside down? Id like to see what that looks like. I think it would flow better with the cars lines.

Tweak
06-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Ive already been kicking around this idea. Ill be meeting with a buddy of mine this weekend who is a metal shaping god. Im going to have him make a boser hood attachment for me. Ill talk to him about making an insert/grill for the front bumper. He should be able to crank out something nice in an hour tops. It will require losing the mustache though (which I have no problem with)

We have the small slit that could be expanded on I'd think and on either side we could have some ducting setup perhaps. If you go up higher and into the stache that'll seriously open things up, whatever route it goes it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I've never heard of a "boser" hood. Is this to change airflow over and around the car or does it somehow increase under hood airflow somehow?

Maybe you can make something like this happen? Doing so would allow for some creative CAI and IC setup options as well possibly.
http://www.topcartrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012-Fiat-500-Abarth-Sportster-by-G-Tech-Front-Picture.jpg

Really quick and crappy edit of the upside down grill...it sucks so be gentle...lol.
http://i60.tinypic.com/afiuy9.jpg

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 12:35 PM
We have the small slit that could be expanded on I'd think and on either side we could have some ducting setup perhaps. If you go up higher and into the stache that'll seriously open things up, whatever route it goes it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I've never heard of a "boser" hood. Is this to change airflow over and around the car or does it somehow increase under hood airflow somehow?

Maybe you can make something like this happen? Doing so would allow for some creative CAI and IC setup options as well possibly.
http://www.topcartrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012-Fiat-500-Abarth-Sportster-by-G-Tech-Front-Picture.jpg

That pic above is exactly what Im talking about.

"boser hood" = "eyelids" done the right way. AKA welding extensions onto the hood. Also known as "angry hood".

Tweak
06-20-2014, 12:46 PM
That pic above is exactly what Im talking about.

"boser hood" = "eyelids" done the right way. AKA welding extensions onto the hood. Also known as "angry hood".

I LOVE the "angry hood" that Madness once posted but it never took off.

I got the pic of that free flowing front bumper from here: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/fiat/2012-fiat-500-abarth-sportster-by-g-tech-ar133393.html

And the Dodge grill looks bad on the Abarth flipped or not I think. :p

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 01:02 PM
The Boser hood was made popular in the VW scene.

I actually sent G-tech an email about that bumper yesterday.

I agree about the Dodge grill. If it were wider like the opening in the G-tech, turning it upside down would look great. . I can get my buddy to make a grill frame like the opening on the G-tech. Then I can fill that with some mesh that matches the bottom grill. should be functional and add some style.

Tweak
06-20-2014, 04:08 PM
The Boser hood was made popular in the VW scene.

I actually sent G-tech an email about that bumper yesterday.

I agree about the Dodge grill. If it were wider like the opening in the G-tech, turning it upside down would look great. . I can get my buddy to make a grill frame like the opening on the G-tech. Then I can fill that with some mesh that matches the bottom grill. should be functional and add some style.

I have a CF hood but if anything could get me to change hoods it would be the Boser/angry style hood.

If wider it'd look slightly better but personally I do not want the obvious Dodge looks on the front of my car.

If there is a way to create the same basic look of the G-Tech that would be of interest, wish I could source a really cheap bumper to cut into and play with.

I hope your friend can create something, definitely interested is seeing what comes of it.

AudiGuy
06-20-2014, 04:22 PM
I have a CF hood but if anything could get me to change hoods it would be the Boser/angry style hood.

If wider it'd look slightly better but personally I do not want the obvious Dodge looks on the front of my car.

If there is a way to create the same basic look of the G-Tech that would be of interest, wish I could source a really cheap bumper to cut into and play with.

I hope your friend can create something, definitely interested is seeing what comes of it.
Hes got a shop in Dania called Rusted Jalopy. He goes by the same name on IG. His work is incredible. They mostly do cafe racers and hot rods, but he has done many a fender flair from scratch. Hes like Yoda with fab skills. I will see if he can make a metal frame the shape of the opening on the Gtech. That way all you would have to do is trace with a template and mold in the new grill. I love the fact that it would get rid of the front chrome and the mustache in one swoop.

Tweak
06-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Hes got a shop in Dania called Rusted Jalopy. He goes by the same name on IG. His work is incredible. They mostly do cafe racers and hot rods, but he has done many a fender flair from scratch. Hes like Yoda with fab skills. I will see if he can make a metal frame the shape of the opening on the Gtech. That way all you would have to do is trace with a template and mold in the new grill. I love the fact that it would get rid of the front chrome and the mustache in one swoop.

I like the front emblem/grill but the stache on either side isn't a big deal, be nice if the center piece could then reattach. Alternatively is to use the small slit of an upper grill like area and build into that area somewhat. Either way I like the idea and look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Originally my thought was somewhat along the lines of this type offering but in the area on either side of the slit/upper grill intake area, whatever you wish to call that area. In any case it would need to be adjusted to suit our cars as far as shape goes obviously.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3qedqIUU8vI/URp26G-vatI/AAAAAAAAFBE/AvPnn1G4atw/s1600/DSC_0136-2+copy.jpg
or
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/DrunkinEmu/Z%20Model%20Pics/CArsstuff016.jpg

AudiGuy
06-21-2014, 10:05 AM
I like the front emblem/grill but the stache on either side isn't a big deal, be nice if the center piece could then reattach. Alternatively is to use the small slit of an upper grill like area and build into that area somewhat. Either way I like the idea and look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Originally my thought was somewhat along the lines of this type offering but in the area on either side of the slit/upper grill intake area, whatever you wish to call that area. In any case it would need to be adjusted to suit our cars as far as shape goes obviously.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3qedqIUU8vI/URp26G-vatI/AAAAAAAAFBE/AvPnn1G4atw/s1600/DSC_0136-2+copy.jpg
or
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/DrunkinEmu/Z%20Model%20Pics/CArsstuff016.jpg

My thought is to mount a velocity stack behind the bumper. Then run that to a feed for fresh air to the filter.

Tweak
06-21-2014, 08:11 PM
^^^ And there we have one of the more creative solutions we could have. :) Make it happen already...lol.

AudiGuy
06-21-2014, 09:06 PM
^^^ And there we have one of the more creative solutions we could have. :) Make it happen already...lol.

Met with my buddy the fab guy. He said it shouldn't take him more than an hour or so. He's very excited to do the hood. Didn't get to mention the grill. Things were kinda hectic.

Tweak
06-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Met with my buddy the fab guy. He said it shouldn't take him more than an hour or so. He's very excited to do the hood. Didn't get to mention the grill. Things were kinda hectic.

Any progress is good to hear about, looking forward to seeing (reading) more!