PDA

View Full Version : question for you smart chassis folks

cy-clone33
06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
why am I picking up the OUTSIDE rear tire on hard cornering ? Left hand turn should raise the left rear, but I ma raising the right rear on lefts and left rear on the right turns

Felnus
06-16-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm confused. You're turning right in the picture and the right rear tire is off the ground...?

lammie200
06-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Short wheelbase coupled with weight distribution (front/rear)?

cy-clone33
06-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm confused. You're turning right in the picture and the right rear tire is off the ground...?

that pic is coming out of a left hand turn, rt rear is lifting when the car snaps back from the turn to a straight line. I was wondering if it was just from chassis flex when all that pressure was released ? like a rocking effect ?

Felnus
06-16-2014, 08:15 PM
that pic is coming out of a left hand turn, rt rear is lifting when the car snaps back from the turn to a straight line. I was wondering if it was just from chassis flex when all that pressure was released ? like a rocking effect ?

Yes, but the wheel is starting to turn right and the weight has already transferred to the wheels on the left hand side.

cy-clone33
06-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Yes, but the wheel is starting to turn right and the weight has already transferred to the wheels on the left hand side.

and that is why I ask the question. a second set of unbiased eyes. you are correct I believe. I was confused when I saw the pic because I know where that turn was and I didn't look at my arms in the pic and they do appear to to correcting to the right as you suggest.. Thank you

Felnus
06-16-2014, 08:21 PM
and that is why I ask the question. a second set of unbiased eyes. you are correct I believe. I was confused when I saw the pic because I know where that turn was and I didn't look at my arms in the pic and they do appear to to correcting to the right as you suggest.. Thank you

No worries. I consider myself a 500 tripod expert after watching 35 or 40 going through a turn hiking a wheel.

musicsurf
06-16-2014, 08:25 PM
No worries. I consider myself a 500 tripod expert after watching 35 or 40 going through a turn hiking a wheel.

...and taking 35-40 awesome pictures in the process!

Felnus
06-16-2014, 08:31 PM
...and taking 35-40 awesome pictures in the process!

Wait 'til next year. I've been practicing. And Abarth67 would probably say 34-39 awesome pictures since I missed him on three. :lame:

shadowshaggy
06-16-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm with Felnus, the car is turning to the right and what is happening is all the torsion is making it's way through the chassis from the previous turn and yes basically "rocking" the motion from one side to the other. Think of it this way, you rock to one side and then rock harder to the other, just like in water (bathtub for example) and on your second rock your arch is higher in the wave. So you come into a left run hard, and inherently because left hand side is heavier, and then into a right-hand turn, right side being lighter, that torsional force is delivered to the lighter side of the vehicle and there is your tri-pod'd 500T ;)

Not to say you cannot pick up the left rear tire, but the right rear is more prone to lift. To get a proportionate response, the left side of the car should have the coil-overs set 1 click off from the right-hand side to compensate for the weight differential. Would do it for you, but you're 8.5 hours from here and I don't wanna go to IL...cannot take my pistol with me :(

musicsurf
06-16-2014, 09:40 PM
These cars pick their rear inside tires up at will on turn in, especially with a thicker rear bar.

Felnus
06-16-2014, 10:24 PM
These cars pick their rear inside tires up at will on turn in, especially with a thicker rear bar.

Easier to rotate with one contact patch off the ground. :)

shadowshaggy
06-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Well there is that, but thats the scientific-ish explaination

trevc
06-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Maybe you need some Neu-f bars and some RRM chassis braces Ron? evil_laughter

cy-clone33
06-17-2014, 05:23 PM
I love you trevc LMAO