PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk engine enamel

aevansgatech
06-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Thoughts? Good idea or bad idea??

I'd like to do something to the heat shield (possibly turbo bracket too) to make it a little more appealing. Anyone have experience or recommendations using engine enamel? My concern would be heat (obviously on a heat shield! :chuncky:) but I've seen enamel on many other engine parts.

Purgatory
06-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Not a bad idea. There are lots of engine paints, in every possible color imaginable. They can take the extreme heat. The fun part would be taking off the parts, painting them, and then re-installing.

What color scheme are you thinking at this point?

You can also get free advice from any decent level pain & body shop about what products to use.

aevansgatech
06-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm going for somewhat stealthy Grigio/Black exterior and mostly Red/Black under the hood

Not too original I know but you can't mess with the classic combinations!

Still looking into product options though

shadowshaggy
06-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Duplicolor MetalCast is good stuff, not rated for high temps but still works underhood just fine. Anything under 400F should be fine with it. Valve cover & intake & exhaust tips don't hurt it any. That is from prior experience.

Purgatory
06-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Duplicolor MetalCast is good stuff, not rated for high temps but still works underhood just fine. Anything under 400F should be fine with it. Valve cover & intake & exhaust tips don't hurt it any. That is from prior experience.

I have used that brand before, works well. Painted an RV range in bright pink for my wife a few years back, it took the heat well, never peeled or faded.

Nothing wrong with the classic reds and blacks