PDA

View Full Version : anyone tuning non turbo cars?

SpidArman
06-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I haven't been here in a while. I have found several threads on tuning the turbo cars, but none on non-turbo cars. I currently have a magnaflow catback, Road Race Motorsports intake and their timing controller. I am happy with the results, but just looking for a little bit more than the roughly 10hp increase I got.

I haven't looked into the header, but that would be next.

lammie200
06-05-2014, 08:27 PM
I haven't been here in a while. I have found several threads on tuning the turbo cars, but none on non-turbo cars. I currently have a magnaflow catback, Road Race Motorsports intake and their timing controller. I am happy with the results, but just looking for a little bit more than the roughly 10hp increase I got.

I haven't looked into the header, but that would be next.

There is someone on these boards named Edward that is about to install his custom header so you might want to do a search and ask him about it. Partially depending on the results that he is getting I am thinking about modifying the OEM header/cat/downpipe to take the restriction off the exit. Like you I have a Magnaflow catback which is 2.25" diameter piping. But, the downpipe exit snakes down to about 1-7/8" as far as I know. The restriction may be there to enhance the low end power, or it may just be the point where the FIAT engineers thought would be the best place for the transition to 1-7/8" since the stock exhaust piping is 1-7/8". Also might be there just to keep the exhaust noise down. Hard to tell, but I haven't seen other downpipes for 1.2 to 1.6-ish liter engines that have that kind of restriction at their exits. Anyway, that is my next endeavor.

shadowshaggy
06-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Short answer, no one is tuning the n/a models because of a lack of gain to be had & in general benefit. Its a small market too, the turbo cars are "meant" to be played with.

lammie200
06-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Short answer, no one is tuning the n/a models because of a lack of gain to be had & in general benefit. Its a small market too, the turbo cars are "meant" to be played with.

That is a short albeit pejorative answer.

The NA and the turbos are totally different cars. But that doesn't mean that the NA can't perform better than stock. For those of us that don't want turbos you can still wring a lot of satisfaction out of tweaking the NA.

shadowshaggy
06-05-2014, 10:41 PM
I concur fully, but as getting the turbo tuned is as bad as it is - the n/a models will be that much more of a challenge sir. Not trying to be negative, but thats a dim light at the end of the tunnel. I've had vendors treat me horrifically in regards to tuning the turbo, not just misinformation; but strait up being an a$$hole.

This is my first turbo car, well I bought a turbo in March and then traded for the Abarth in Oct so close enuf. So I get fully what you're on about, just pointing something out and trying not to be rude about it.

FTY
06-08-2014, 12:05 AM
We will be developing in the near future the Uni-Chip for the 500.

lammie200
06-08-2014, 11:01 AM

I like the sound of that:)

Felnus
06-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Take my money, please.

Edward Wanser
06-12-2014, 11:32 PM
There is a local guy in fl who is tuning non turbos. He bench tunes them.

Edward Wanser
06-12-2014, 11:33 PM

Oh you better have me down on the testing list

papermaker
06-29-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm "tuning" mine. Mostly for fun and the experience, but a few extra HP is not a bad thing. I really like the the MPG.

From my limited experience I think you can get a bang for the buck from improving the suspension as I have discovered with just a RRM rear sway bar.

Their header and a Megan exhaust has bumped the power a little but mostly made it sound better. I'll try a timing controller or Uni-chip or something like that later. Next stop will likely be more suspension mods.

Troy_Audi0
07-19-2014, 12:05 PM
I have some mods on mine as well.
Magnaflow Exhaust system
Injen CAI
Madness Light Pully
*New Header
Next up is, piggy back, go pedel, maybe a extra treat..
I need lighter wheels as I use my car for shows I have big ass wheels and to do agressive driving I would need to replace them with a 16" or 17"...

gundam2000
07-21-2014, 03:47 PM
I liked the gains of the rrm intake and timing box with a muffler delete. my next stop was going to be the lightweight pulley. I upgraded to Abarth before that happened though.

spotman
07-21-2014, 07:05 PM
I have some mods on mine as well.
Magnaflow Exhaust system
Injen CAI
Madness Light Pully
*New Header
Next up is, piggy back, go pedel, maybe a extra treat..
I need lighter wheels as I use my car for shows I have big ass wheels and to do agressive driving I would need to replace them with a 16" or 17"...

Hey Troy, long time no hear or see. Car looks great, will be getting in touch for some audio upgrades.

Nero12
07-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Im running with the Competitizone cold air intake, muffler delete, RRM timing module, MPx underdrive pulley, Go Pedal, ST rear sway bar, Eibach pro springs and the Neuf shift adapter. The car is a blast to drive and is quite a bit peppier than stock. Also got an Abarth too and I still enjoy mine just as much on the curvy roads.