PDA

View Full Version : Group pre-buy, billet aluminum oil filter housing

kenfowles
06-04-2014, 01:43 AM
I wanted a billet aluminum oil filter housing cap to replace the crappy plastic one, as I've had those fail after several oil changes (broke one on my Audi A8). Peace of mind from billet aluminum, made in USA, never worry about stripped threads or having that 27mm socket round-off a plastic filter cap. I asked Gruvenparts.com and the answer is yes, they will machine these for us if 10 people buy. This would be their first Fiat part - they specialize in Audi and VW, but I convinced them we are an active and quickly growing community.

This replaces Chrysler part number 04892850AA, fits all 2012-2014 North American Fiat 500 1.4 liter. Price is $159.99 plus shipping, and you will need to re-use the bypass spring from your original housing (located inside the original plastic cap). Photo I've uploaded is not the actual part (we need 10 to buy), but shows how this will look. I'm sure a few people will tell me this is overpriced - I don't care, I bought a similar part from the same source for my Audi A8 and the quality is Excellent.

I'll answer questions if possible, PM welcome, but best to contact Paul directly at GruvenParts - email address
paul @ gruvenparts.com

I think Paul will be posting an "available soon" link on his site in the next day or two for pre-orders.
Or go to their Engine Parts page, http://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-part/engine-parts

Ken

Rosso_Rapido
06-04-2014, 08:09 AM
1 would be interested in one.

AudiGuy
06-04-2014, 08:24 AM
+1

mneuman916
06-04-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't think the price is high at all, considering it's a very limited run. Since you really can't see the thing though I think I'd just buy a much cheaper factory spare.

kenfowles
06-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Pre-buy page for us is up.

http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-cap-pre-buy/

zyxelenator
06-06-2014, 01:49 AM
+1. How many people you need to make it happen? Regarding other features incorporated, can such cup be made with hole in it and steel hoses attached to spin on filter base (lets say that will fit fram 3600 filters) to relocate filter and use canister type or add bypass filter? Just and idea, I think many are tired of remooving intake every time and spilling oil everywhere while removing filter.

trevc
06-06-2014, 09:31 AM
+1 Yep, a filter relocation kit would be very welcome!

+1. How many people you need to make it happen? Regarding other features incorporated, can such cup be made with hole in it and steel hoses attached to spin on filter base (lets say that will fit fram 3600 filters) to relocate filter and use canister type or add bypass filter? Just and idea, I think many are tired of remooving intake every time and spilling oil everywhere while removing filter.

trevc
06-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Great to see a new vendor on board! Welcome to the forum!

Hi everyone. We appreciate the opportunity to work for the Fiat crowd !!

As Ken has already pointed out, we specialize in machining metal components such as this oil filter housing. If anyone is in Atlanta and wants to stop by 1 of our machining centers, you are welcome to, just let me know. Its very interesting to see how these are made.

Anyhow, we are ready to build this part for you. Please contact me directly if you have any questions.

Paul@GruvenParts.com

And here is the pre-buy page loaded into the MISC section of our site -

Note that the housing cover shown is for the 4.2L Audi V8 motor, but the Fiat version will look similar. Let me know if you want other design features incorporated, and if you want us to look into other parts.

Paul@GruvenParts.com
www.GruvenParts.com (http://www.GruvenParts.com)

ophidia31
06-06-2014, 09:40 AM
+1 Yep, a filter relocation kit would be very welcome!

Not to thread jack for these filter caps, Id be in for the relocate as well. First oil change I thought to myself "This is horse ****" lol

Abarth Phreak
06-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Nice part idea. Welcome to the forum and Thank you for being a vendor. Looking forward to seeing what other parts you create.

I too would be interested in a well engineered relocation kit. This piece I am sure is nice, but for the money for a non-viewable piece I just can't bite.

GruvenParts.com
06-07-2014, 09:12 AM
OK thanks for all the feedback here, guys and for welcoming us to the forum ! We are excited to part of the Fiat tuner scene, we have been working with VW/Audi/BMW since 2004 and have over 70 custom products for those cars. We are ALWAYS looking to expand, and have a genuine interest in the smaller Euro cars !

As for the relocation kit : let me know specifically what items it would need. We dont want to risk damaging the engine, so any relocation must be thoroughly evaluated to ensure it is safe for the engine. Either post here or just email - Paul@GruvenParts.com so we can see about this. Perhaps we can offer both this billet cap and the relo kit so owners can decide.

Some other ideas that we can also work on for you, please give me your thoughts -

Billet dipsticks, like the ones we make for VW and Audi :

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ww20x/lyr7tp5r/products/112/images/306/1009__41947.1398475033.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Billet Interior door handles ..

Billet Shift Gates ..

GruvenParts.com
06-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks for interest in this part, I will post up all the details below. If you guys would like us to make a relocation kit, please let me know what other parts would be needed and we will do it.

Please Note : This is a Pre-Buy. Once we receive 10 orders, we will make this part. See bottom of this post for Pre-Buy List.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ww20x/lyr7tp5r/products/141/images/383/p_pic__61370.1401896435.1280.1280.jpg?c=2 (http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-cap-pre-buy/)
Fiat 500 Billet Oil Filter Housing Cover Pre-Buy! (http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-cap-pre-buy/)

Precision Machined Aluminum Oil Filter Housings For 2012-2014 Fiat 500 1.4L Engines !

This product is intended to replace Chrysler/Fiat Part Number 048-928-50AA (04892850AA). Please check the OEM part number of your oil filter housing cap before ordering. You can do this easily by calling your dealer and giving them your VIN # and asking them to tell you the part number for your oil filter housing cap.

Just like our best selling billet VW and Audi oil filter housing caps -- This one will be worth the wait ! Never, but NEVER break a flimsy plastic oil filter housing again. Or deal with the unsightly leaks created by the cheaply made plastic OEM housing cracking and deflecting. We made this one the way Chrysler should have from A SOLID BLOCK OF ALUMINUM, by God!

First, we start with a massive chunk of Aircraft Grade 6061-T6511 Aluminum. The section is delicately placed on one of our special CNC machining centers and precision cut to EXACTLY match the OEM plastic housing. The metal gods (well, in this case, one of our highly talented CNC programmers) has programmed elaborate steps for the very time consuming and expensive operation of profiling the special buttress threads into the housing using the exact DIN spec thread cutting tool required for a perfect seal.

This part exactly matches the geometry of the plastic Chrysler/Fiat 500 cap. And yes, we also provide USEABLE hex flats on the housing so you can easily remove the housing with a standard socket. Imagine that - you can remove the housing using a proper socket that wont round off, then you can reinstall it without it cracking and dripping oil all over the place. This could possibly make changing your oil fun again!

This product is intended to replace Chrysler/Fiat Part Number 048-928-50AA (04892850AA). Please check the OEM part number of your oil filter housing cap before ordering. You can do this easily by calling your dealer and giving them your VIN # and asking them to tell you the part number for your oil filter housing cap.

Application Guide :

2012-2014 Fiat 500 w/1.4L

Special Note At The End :
You will need to carefully remove the sping bypass valve located at the base of your OEM plastic oil filter cap and install it into this billet housing cap. Carefully push down on the bypass valve inside your OEM cap and deflect the spring to 1 side fully. The whole bypass valve will then unclip from the plastic OEM cap. Install it in the same position into our billet cap. It is easiest to do this on a work bench, just use a suitable deep well socket to fit against the spring bypass valve, face the cap down (bowl at top) while aligning the bypass valve with the metal tangs on our billet housing. Then apply about 10 lbs of force downward while wiggling side to side gently. Your existing bypass valve will snap into place over the metal tangs in our housing. YOU MUST INSTALL THE BYPASS VALVE. If you do not, the oil will simply bypass the filter and will not be cleaned.

When installing this cap into the oil filter housing, please clean all threads and use a bit of anti-seize on the threads of our part to make this easier to remove during your next oil change. Also, be sure to lubricate the o-ring with some fresh oil so it is not torn during installation. This part doesnt come with the O-ring -- that comes with the filter itself.

Pre-Buy Status

1. Ken

mneuman916
06-13-2014, 11:04 AM
A relocation kit might be interesting, though I wonder exactly where in the engine bay there would be room for it. There's little point unless a more convenient mounting location can be achieved.

Kurumi
06-13-2014, 11:52 AM
I would totally be down for a billet shift gate. The only issue is that there are so many different types of short shifters kits that you might have to make a special one for each kind. Good thing is that most people are either stock, have the Neu-F, or the TWM Performance one so group buys of any of those should be easier to set up. Wish you guys were local to the DMV area, I'm sure you'd have plenty of test cars to work out measurements.

Edit: Also, the filter cap should fit just fine on the Dodge Dart 1.4L MultiAir as well as any other car that shares the same motor. Might gain some more interest if someone asked the Dart guys as well.

Motion32
06-13-2014, 12:55 PM
+1 for the shift gate. Specifically one designed for the TWM short shifter.

GruvenParts.com
06-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Will do.

If someone has a shift gate, post up a picture of it. We can see what it would take.

Any other interest or insight on the billet oil filter covers ? We need a few more before we can launch on that 1.

How about billet dipsticks? Its nice to remove the ugly OEM dipsticks in favor of machined aluminum. Every car show we attend we find them on most of the winning bays.

Paul@GruvenParts.com
www.GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663

NGEN
06-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Edit: Also, the filter cap should fit just fine on the Dodge Dart 1.4L MultiAir as well as any other car that shares the same motor. Might gain some more interest if someone asked the Dart guys as well.

Don't forget the 500L as well. The new Jeep Renegade and 500X should also have the same oil filter housing cap. Looks like a great part!

trevc
06-17-2014, 08:33 AM
What's holding me back is the requirement to fit the spring bypass valve from an existing cover. I would worry that I have no good way to test that the oil is being filtered correctly. For this price I think I would expect it fully assembled and tested.
Just my 10c of feedback!

Will do.

If someone has a shift gate, post up a picture of it. We can see what it would take.

Any other interest or insight on the billet oil filter covers ? We need a few more before we can launch on that 1.

How about billet dipsticks? Its nice to remove the ugly OEM dipsticks in favor of machined aluminum. Every car show we attend we find them on most of the winning bays.

Paul@GruvenParts.com
www.GruvenParts.com (http://www.GruvenParts.com)
404-556-6663

aktif8
06-17-2014, 10:44 AM
I don't know the feasibility, but billet exterior door handles - to replace the utterly crappy stock plastic ones, which drive me nuts every time I get in the car - would be awesome. I'd pay good money for a set of those!!

I'd also be down for the billet dipstick, as well as a shift gate compatible with the craven ss.

Alec
06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
I submitted my pre-order!

I work at a Fiat Studio. I asked our lead tech and also service manager if this product was a good idea. Their answer: an emphatic "YES!" We have had 2 plastic ones broken in the last few days.

I also used to have a VR6 VW GTI. GruvenParts is a great company and their products are top-notch. Whenever I changed the oil on my VR6 I was always afraid the plastic housing was going to break.

So pre-order one! :dancingsmilies:

zyxelenator
06-18-2014, 02:00 AM
Preordered. Also I made a typo in my email address in gmail.com part... If it matters.

GruvenParts.com
06-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks for pre-orders. So far we have 3 paid.

For the person who was worried about fitting the bypass - if you wanted, we could just buy a plastic version for you and fit it. Cost would be +$35 or so (whatever plastic version costs). Its pretty straight fwd, and bypass is normally shut, only opens if pressure rises due to plugged up filter.

Regarding the billet dipsticks - if someone wants to send me a part number that you would want, along with some good pictures, my email is paul@gruvenparts.com.

Or post here. Open for any other ideas, keep them coming !

:) :) :)

Paul@GruvenParts.com
www.GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663

GruvenParts.com
07-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Is anyone else interested ? We need a few more to make this happen.

Please click here to Pre-buy -

GruvenParts.com
07-12-2014, 08:32 AM
bump for this part. We have only a few prebuys thus far. If we can get a few more we will go ahead and launch. We have a big machine coming open in 1.5 weeks, I would love to run these on it, they will come out beautiful. It wont take long before they stuff another project into it and tie it up, so lets hurry here on these things. I promise you wont be disappointed !

Papa Duck
07-12-2014, 03:46 PM
I just placed an order for mine.

Papa Duck
07-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Any update on how many have placed an order? This seems like such a natural for anyone wanting to change their own oil. The plastic piece just doesn't hold up like it should.

Alec
07-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Friendly Bump!

Just a few more folks, please!

Papa Duck
07-25-2014, 05:24 PM
If you have ever changed your own oil and filter you will know how much this is a necessary addition.

GruvenParts.com
08-08-2014, 11:24 AM
We are now launching production on this part :)

We should have parts in 2-3 more weeks from this point and all back orders will ship then. We will run 1 batch to start with, so if you want this, now is time to pre-order !

Please call me or email if any questions.

Paul@GruvenParts.com
www.GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663

Alec
08-08-2014, 12:25 PM
:Blue:

trevc
08-08-2014, 12:53 PM
How does this make it any easier?

If you have ever changed your own oil and filter you will know how much this is a necessary addition.

Papa Duck
08-08-2014, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=trevc;698883]How does this make it any

In my case trying to get the 27mm socket to fully engage with the top of the cover was a real pain because of the two tabs on the flanks of the "nut". Made it easy to chew up the top if the socket didn't fully seat. I would much rather have a metal to metal connection than metal to plastic. May not be necessary, but a personal preference.

Crossfirecat
08-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Really trying to convince myself to purchase one of these. Was all set to do it this morning. Then I got to the checkout and saw $14 shipping. No other shipping options. I just can't force myself past the near $200(shipped) cost for an oil filter cap.
I need more convincing.

bggale
08-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Any possibility of the remote filter adapter someone mentioned earlier? That would be totally awesome - no more removing the turbo end of my intake for every oil change! I would think making one would be no harder than making these - the only hard part is the threads.

GruvenParts.com
09-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks for continued input here guys, we do have a few pre-orders and were set to move ahead with initial production run. The shipping cost is standard USPS priority with full insurance, 2 day within USA. If you want pay for different shipping, you can send me a label and we will ship however you wish, just email me - paul@gruvenparts.com

Regarding canister relocation, please be specific as to what it would take to accomplish this. We need to be careful not to create oil flow issues too. When they designed the engine they put the filter in a specific location, so we would need to evaluate what changes moving it would cause. Cost would likely increase as well, since more parts would likely be needed.

Please post up your input so we can generate some interest here. Food for thought, we just went into production on a billet oil housing cover that has integrated ports to allow for thread on oil pressure and oil temp senders for VW R32 and Audi TT. We could incorporate these types of modifications very easily ...

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ww20x/lyr7tp5r/products/140/images/393/r32_cap_2nd_rendering__55470.1409617857.1280.1280. jpg?c=2 (http://www.gruvenparts.com/audi-vw-24v-2-8-3-2-3-6l-billet-oil-filter-housing-cover/)
Billet VW/Audi 24V 2.8/3.2/3.6L Oil Filter Housing Caps ! (http://www.gruvenparts.com/audi-vw-24v-2-8-3-2-3-6l-billet-oil-filter-housing-cover/)

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ww20x/lyr7tp5r/products/140/images/394/r32_cap_9_1_14__85545.1409617889.1280.1280.jpg?c=2 (http://www.gruvenparts.com/audi-vw-24v-2-8-3-2-3-6l-billet-oil-filter-housing-cover/)
Billet VW/Audi 24V 2.8/3.2/3.6L Oil Filter Housing Caps ! (http://www.gruvenparts.com/audi-vw-24v-2-8-3-2-3-6l-billet-oil-filter-housing-cover/)

www.GruvenParts.com
Paul@GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663

GruvenParts.com
09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
We have 5 pre-buys currently. (I would update the 1st page but cannot ?)

Also, what happened to the billet dipstick discussion ? Someone give me the part number for dipstick and funnel, I will get you a quote for nice billet version to get rid of the ugly plastic !

www.GruvenParts.com
Paul@GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663

zyxelenator
09-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Cmon guys pre-order more. I'm due to change oil soon and want this shiny filter cap.

bggale
09-16-2014, 12:45 AM
I ordered one, but what I'd really like to see is a screw on cover with two threaded AN ports so I can get some hoses made and use an off-the-shelf remote filter mount. I don't know why it would cost more - it only has to be deep enough for the threads and to hold some kind of rubber washer over the center port on the engine, like on the stock filter. As for the location of the filters being somehow critical, I have never heard of any issues with similar relocation setups on any other car, and it is almost always done on race cars. I want to stop removing my intake for every filter change, plus I want to increase my oil capacity with 2 big filters. I would have no use for a cover with enclosed filter and 2 external ports.

zyxelenator
09-16-2014, 01:45 PM
I ordered one, but what I'd really like to see is a screw on cover with two threaded AN ports so I can get some hoses made and use an off-the-shelf remote filter mount. I don't know why it would cost more - it only has to be deep enough for the threads and to hold some kind of rubber washer over the center port on the engine, like on the stock filter. As for the location of the filters being somehow critical, I have never heard of any issues with similar relocation setups on any other car, and it is almost always done on race cars. I want to stop removing my intake for every filter change, plus I want to increase my oil capacity with 2 big filters. I would have no use for a cover with enclosed filter and 2 external ports.I would love that setup too and I have lots of filters left from my previous car.

GruvenParts.com
10-11-2014, 06:34 AM
Thanks for this input. We just released the VW/Audi 24V billet filter covers and those DO have 2 threaded ports (M10x1), see picture. Those guys wanted to add external pressure and temp senders, but the idea is the same as what you are asking. And no, I dont think it would affect price much if any. Take a look at this pic :

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ww20x/lyr7tp5r/products/140/images/397/R32_Cap__82830.1410907311.1280.1280.JPG?c=2 (http://www.gruvenparts.com/audi-vw-24v-2-8-3-2-3-6l-billet-oil-filter-housing-cover/)

I can make this change, just specify what size threads you want, and approximately where on the cap you want them. I will have an update from the shop next week. If you are interested in this part please click here to order :

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ww20x/lyr7tp5r/products/141/images/383/p_pic__61370.1401896435.1280.1280.jpg?c=2 (http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-cap-pre-buy/)
Fiat 500 Billet Oil Filter Housing Cover Pre-Buy! (http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-cap-pre-buy/)

www.GruvenParts.com
Paul@GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663

zyxelenator
10-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks for this input. We just released the VW/Audi 24V billet filter covers and those DO have 2 threaded ports (M10x1), see picture. Those guys wanted to add external pressure and temp senders, but the idea is the same as what you are asking. And no, I dont think it would affect price much if any. Take a look at this pic :

I can make this change, just specify what size threads you want, and approximately where on the cap you want them. I will have an update from the shop next week. If you are interested in this part please click here to order :

www.GruvenParts.com
Paul@GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663

Something to make it work with a base similar to this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-1221/overview/

bggale
10-12-2014, 03:40 AM
I don't think they are talking about the same thing as what I'm looking for. I want a cap that has a pair of threaded ports to add an external filter, but with no internal filter. That VW part looks like it still has an internal filter (correct me if I'm wrong) but a pair of ports for pressure and temp sensors. I want to do away with the internal filter, so I can put my filter elsewhere with an adapter like zyxelenator gave the link to. Such an adapter would be shorter than the stock oil filter cap, with one port near the edge (the oil out port) and one at the center (the oil return port). Make them like this, and I'm sure LOTS of folks will order them. The goal being to put the filter (or filters) somewhere else, so we don't need to remove the intake hose from the turbo inlet to change them.

GruvenParts.com
10-20-2014, 07:39 AM
See the 1st pic in post #40, like that ?

What size ports would you want ?

Perhaps we can build this cap with the ports and include plugs for those not wanting to relocate filter. The inside of the cap would still be machined with the filter mount, but if you did the relocation then you just would not use it. It would not interfere with anything otherwise. The cap would be same outer dimensions except with 2 additional threaded bungs which would add maybe 1/2-3/4 inch to overall height of cap.

Let me know if this idea would work, exactly where you want the threaded ports added, their thread size, and the required length of threads.

Paul@gruvenparts.com
www.GruvenParts.com
404-556-6663

Crossfirecat
10-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Without a filter inside the cap, what will direct the oil to the "outlet" port? I think if you remove the filter without designing something internally to direct the oil, it will just pressurize the cap and flow back down into the motor as there is nothing to direct flow out to a remote filter and back.

bggale
10-22-2014, 02:28 AM
Yup - Crossfirecat is correct. You can't just leave out the internal filter, you need a sealed direct connection between the hole in the engine that lines up with the center of the original filter and the inlet port on the adapter, and a direct connection between wherever the oil enters the original cap outside of the original filter and the outlet port of the adapter. Actually - you only need the direct connection for the center port. You will also need some kind of rubber seal to compress around the center port, so oil doesn't just bypass the external ports and go back into the engine. If you just leave the original filter out with the space remaining, the oil will just flow from engine outlet to engine inlet, unfiltered. Whatever hoses, adapters and filters you attach to the ports on such a cap will just pressurize, with no flow.
Look at any spin-on oil filter adapter, and you will see what I'm talking about. The only difference is - most have the center port threaded, but ours has the threads on the outer perimeter, where the O-ring makes the seal. The spin-on ones put a flat rubber seal at the perimeter (like on a spin-on oil filter) and let the threads seal the inner port. Ours would need to do the reverse - we already have the perimeter seal (the O-ring) but we need a rubber seal at the center (a flat rubber one similar to the seal on a spin-on filter, only smaller in diameter would work if it fit into a recess to hold it). You just need to make sure that seal compresses just enough to keep pressurized oil inside the port when the threads bottom. If the rubber is too tall, it might deform and block the port when the adapter is screwed all the way on. If the seal is too short, it might leak, allowing oil to bypass the filter, or it might even come loose and block the inlet port, starving the engine of oil (bad). Think about how much force it takes to spin on a spin on filter - it's easy until the rubber seal makes contact, and then you turn it some more to compress the seal. That's what we need. Just remember that a small diameter seal at the center will have a lot less drag than a large diameter perimeter seal.
The easiest way to make what we need would be to leave an aluminum cylinder at the center of one of your billet caps, with it's ID the same size as the center filter engine port, and a wall thick enough to support the rubber seal in some link of recess with inner and outer walls. This cylinder needs to end at the right distance to compress the seal when the cap is threaded on, and you would put the inlet port inline with the end of the cylinder. The outlet port could go on the end of the cap anywhere between this cylinder and the outer wall of the cap. Now, to make it cheaper, easier to manufacture, and look better - imagine making this 'cap' as short as possible. Just long enough for the outer threads and the ports we need.
This needs to be done right, or we'll lose oil pressure, and that would be bad.

GruvenParts.com
10-28-2014, 01:29 PM
These are excellent points, thats for this input.

Based upon the above requirement, the cost of the cap would increase a bit due to the added parts required to flow the oil to the external filter housing.

Im guessing +$20-$30.

Given that, and the existing cost, what do people want ? Please post here and leave your thoughts.

Option A. Existing design, billet cap, no provision for remote oil filter. Cost $159.99

Option B. Similar to A but with provisions for adding remote oil filter. Can also be used as standard cap if remote filter is not desired. Cost $189.99

Please let me know, we want to move into production but have only a few orders for Option A. If Option B draws more buyers, we can switch to that.

GruvenParts.com
11-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Please chime in :

Do you want this with or without a filter relocation option ?

For those wanting with relocation option, please post details of how/where you plan to remotely mount the filter.

docron
11-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Without...

Alec
11-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Without

GruvenParts.com
11-08-2014, 09:00 AM
thats 2 without ...

who wants it with relo provisions and post your plans as to how you'll mount the filter relo kit

GruvenParts.com
11-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Looking for more input here ! Please post up if you want the oil filter housing with or without the added ports for filter relocation. Production is about to begin ...

Papa Duck
11-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Without the need to relocate the filter.

GruvenParts.com
11-24-2014, 09:49 AM
OK thats 3 now for non-relocation, still havent heard from any of those wanting it with relo ports as to how they would mount the relocated filter assy. If you are planning to prebuy this, now is the time!!

Click Here to Buy Fiat 500 Billet Oil Filter Housing Cover - Pre-Buy! (http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-cap-pre-buy/)

Precision Machined Aluminum Oil Filter Housings For 2012-2014 Fiat 500 1.4L Engines ! Please note this is a pre-buy, we expect to have the billet housing covers in during month of December 2014.

Just like our best selling billet VW and Audi oil filter housing caps -- This one will be worth the wait ! Never, but NEVER break a flimsy plastic oil filter housing again. Or deal with the unsightly leaks created by the cheaply made plastic OEM housing cracking and deflecting. We made this one the way Chrysler should have – from A SOLID BLOCK OF ALUMINUM, by God!

First, we start with a massive chunk of Aircraft Grade 6061-T6511 Aluminum. The section is delicately placed on one of our special CNC machining centers and precision cut to EXACTLY match the OEM plastic housing. The metal gods (well, in this case, one of our highly talented CNC programmers) has programmed elaborate steps for the very time consuming and expensive operation of profiling the special buttress threads into the housing using the exact DIN spec thread cutting tool required for a perfect seal.

This part exactly matches the geometry of the plastic Chrysler/Fiat 500 cap. And yes, we also provide USEABLE hex flats on the housing so you can easily remove the housing with a standard socket. Imagine that - you can remove the housing using a proper socket that wont round off, then you can reinstall it without it cracking and dripping oil all over the place. This could possibly make changing your oil fun again!

Application Guide :

You will need to carefully remove the sping bypass valve located at the base of your OEM plastic oil filter cap and install it into this billet housing cap. Carefully push down on the bypass valve inside your OEM cap and deflect the spring to 1 side fully. The whole bypass valve will then unclip from the plastic OEM cap. Install it in the same position into our billet cap. It is easiest to do this on a work bench, just use a suitable deep well socket to fit against the spring bypass valve, face the cap down (bowl at top) while aligning the bypass valve with the metal tangs on our billet housing. Then apply about 10 lbs of force downward while wiggling side to side gently. Your existing bypass valve will snap into place over the metal tangs in our housing. YOU MUST INSTALL THE BYPASS VALVE. If you do not, the oil will simply bypass the filter and will not be cleaned.

When installing this cap into the oil filter housing, please clean all threads and use a bit of anti-seize on the threads of our part to make this easier to remove during your next oil change. Also, be sure to lubricate the o-ring with some fresh oil so it is not torn during installation. This part doesnt come with the O-ring -- that comes with the filter itself.

kenfowles
11-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Ordered and paid. Next time I change oil no worries about stripping, cracking or cross threading the flimsy plastic filter housing.

Thunderbolt
11-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Can't buy it right now, but I'd like mine to not have ports. Just intending to replace the stock cover.

bggale
11-28-2014, 05:42 PM
i paid in full two months ago. Hope to see one arrive soon.

GruvenParts.com
12-21-2014, 10:33 AM
We're close. CAD was already approved, material already ordered, Im expecting these parts any day now. I will speak with CNC lead and get firm date and report back. Thanks for extreme patience.

And we still do have some left on the batch so if anyone else wants 1, now is the time!

GruvenParts.com
01-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Just finishing these up, will be shipping this week !

Alec
01-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Woohoo! Just in time for my next oil change!

aelfwyne
01-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Still in for my dealer oil changes, but after that.... if there are more of these available in the future I might want the hookup :)

GruvenParts.com
01-15-2015, 09:10 AM
The parts are coming off the machine today ! We dont think you will crack this 1 :)

http://i61.tinypic.com/n36fwh.jpg

GruvenParts.com
01-21-2015, 09:16 AM
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ww20x/lyr7tp5r/products/141/images/430/IMG_7117__61292.1421682687.1280.1280.JPG?c=2 (http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-caps/)
Click Here to Buy Fiat 500 Billet Oil Filter Housing Cover ! (http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-caps/)

NOW IN STOCK !!

Just like our best selling billet VW and Audi oil filter housing caps this one was worth the wait ! Never, but NEVER break a flimsy plastic oil filter housing again. Or deal with the unsightly leaks created by the cheaply made plastic OEM housing cracking and deflecting. We made this one the way Chrysler should have – from A SOLID BLOCK OF ALUMINUM, by God!

Application Guide :

You will need to carefully remove the spring bypass valve located at the base of your OEM plastic oil filter cap and install it into this billet housing cap. Please read the DIY Article posted on the product page of our website.

bggale
01-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Purdy. Got my tracking number. Thanks.

Abarth Daddy
01-21-2015, 04:48 PM

Not to rain on the parade because the billet piece appears to be a a very nice looking and long-lasting piece. But I much agree with zyxelenator and others on the hopes and dreams for a good relocation kit. I'd pay way more for that. Removing the intake and dealing with these paper-only filters every time is a PITA. A relocated canister type (even if underneath the car) would be serious improvement.

Alec
01-22-2015, 02:03 PM
I just got mine in the mail. It looks great! And my Fiat service techs approve :) Next oil change soon!

John O
01-22-2015, 05:39 PM
ORDERED!!! Just had my last "free" oil change from the dealer and am thinking about options. I've heard/read enough horror stories of cross-threading or cracks in the plastic housing, this piece just makes good sense even if I go the lazy $$ route and continue to have the dealer do the changes.

John O.

John O
01-22-2015, 08:00 PM
A relocated canister type (even if underneath the car) would be serious improvement.

Completely agree. BUT. Until there is a relocation kit, there is this, which is also a serious improvement over a known weakness in the car. Once a relocation kit is available, I'll be able to easily re-sell this piece to help pay for it. If there never is a relocation kit, I won't be one who waited around for it. Win win.

John O.

Papa Duck
01-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Just received mine today. A great looking piece that will be so much better than the stock plastic piece. I may even change oil early just so I can use it.

John O
02-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Received mine last week. It is a thing of beauty ...and rings like a bell!!! Thanks for making this part available. Actually looking forward to my next oil change.

John O.

bggale
02-08-2015, 04:16 AM
So -are we ever going to see that remote filter adapter? Seems like lots of folks were interested...

boostaddict
02-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Nice piece. Are people cracking their stock oil adapters?

Also does the filter snap into the billet piece like the stock one?

GruvenParts.com
02-23-2015, 09:18 AM
The stock filter cover is plastic and yes, can easily crack. It is also easy to round off the hex on it, as the plastic cover can sometimes become fused into the metal oil filter housing threads. We have seen where the plastic version becomes so fused into the housing, that the shop actually shattered the housing trying to remove the stuck plastic cap! This was on a 4.2 V8 Audi A8, but the oil filter assy looks almost identical to what Fiat is using. The metal housing assemblies are surprisingly brittle.

Yes, the new filter will snap into our billet housing cover, you will need to transfer the spring bypass valve from the old plastic cap into our billet cap.

All instructions for the install are on the Product Page DIY - http://www.gruvenparts.com/fiat-500-billet-oil-filter-housing-caps/