PDA

View Full Version : 500C instrument Cluster Disassembly

Nogastorace
06-01-2014, 09:04 PM
In case anyone wanted to know how to change the color of the center information area of the instrument cluster, here are some pictures. Apparently there are LEDs behind the cluster. The yellow (its supposed to be orange) filter disperses the light to make it more even. So I'm guessing that if you wanted pure white, you should just find some sort of frosted diffusion panel to replace the existing one.

Nogastorace
06-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Here are some more pictures. Apparently the color of the indicator icons, and numbers is dependent on the color of the surface mount LEDs.

Tweak
06-01-2014, 11:25 PM
I've wondered about this for a long time...great info, thanks!

shadowshaggy
06-02-2014, 12:29 AM
In case anyone wanted to know how to change the color of the center information area of the instrument cluster, here are some pictures. Apparently there are LEDs behind the cluster. The yellow (its supposed to be orange) filter disperses the light to make it more even. So I'm guessing that if you wanted pure white, you should just find some sort of frosted diffusion panel to replace the existing one.

Not to be a smarta$$, but if its a yellow diffuser panel - those would be red smt led's. Red + yellow = orange & orange led's look funny, so this is a better way to make the right and consistent color. But remove the diffuser panel and I bet I'm right ;)

Plug it back in for giggles and lets see if you don't mind, I can think of someone who would love a blue diffuser panel and make purple dash lights.....nojeebs gr_grin

NGEN
06-02-2014, 01:03 AM
I have been meaning to do this. Curious to see if this turns out red without the yellow diffuser panel. Let us know!

Nogastorace
06-02-2014, 01:56 AM
i should clarify that the diffusion panel is actually yellowish orange, so you may be right in that the LEDs are red. I can't plug this back in to check since its an extra cluster that i bought, not the one that came with the car. The purpose of this thread is just to show people what to expect if they were thinking about modding the cluster.

Radagast
06-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Woah, woah ,woah , theres that light sensor.:joyous: Thanks for the pictures.
I was thinking about taking apart the ATM boost gauge prior to installation to see whats what. But thinking about and actually doing are two different things.
I appreciate and admire your effort. It will surely assist me if and when I take apart the guage(s).

Nogastorace
06-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Youre welcome. Once i am done with my project, ill take more in-depth step-by-step pictures to show what to look for when taking it apart.

NGEN
07-13-2014, 09:21 AM
So did we find out if removing the diffuser panel makes it red?