PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried a new horn? Hella or air maybe

DaytonAbarth
06-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Thinking about replacing the horn with something very obnoxiously loud. Either Hella or a double air horn from the local Pep Boys. I've never heard any of the Hella's but they seem to be popular with the tuner crowd.

Anyone replaced theirs?

ksig421
06-01-2014, 08:55 AM
I installed a wolo 419 within the first 24 hours of buying my car. The stock horn is too quiet and not safe imo. Definitely worth it to add it. Plus I left the stock horn so I still have the horn sound when I lock the doors.

DaytonAbarth
06-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Did you have to remove the front end, like someone suggested elsewhere? How did you leave the OEM horn hooked up?

ksig421
06-01-2014, 03:48 PM
I never removed the front bumper or the wheel well. I was able to do it all from the top. The way I did it was I located the plug that went to the stock horn. I then found the positive wire and spliced another wire to it. I connected that wire to the relay of the new horn and ran all the other wires to the relay and new horn. I then mounted the horn in front of the battery box using the 13mm bolt that goes through the retainer that holds the battery tight to the battery box. I had to trim the retainer and also the washer on the13mm bolt to make everything fit right. So in the end I left the stock horn in its original place and technically when I push the horn button I have both the stock horn and the wolo horn sound at the same time. I can post pics later if you like. Hope this helps a bit.

DaytonAbarth
06-01-2014, 04:04 PM
I never removed the front bumper or the wheel well. I was able to do it all from the top. I can post pics later if you like. Hope this helps a bit.

Sounds easy enough, pix would be most helpful. Thanks!

Doohickie
06-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Here's a link to a video (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/Doohickie/media/MVI_1665.mp4.html) comparing the stock horn with a dual note replacement from a mid 00s Taurus (direct plug-in replacement with same connector). Big Sedan Horn is good enough for me.

Tweak
06-01-2014, 06:59 PM
I have but haven't installed the same 419 or Wolo Bad Boy horn, I have heard this and it is GREAT for these cars and REALLY loud. Nice that it only costs $25 bucks too... http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-Model-419-Bad-Horn/dp/B000F5DQWY

DaytonAbarth
06-14-2014, 05:18 PM
So I got the Wolo yesterday. Now I'm trying to figure out where the OEM horn is to disconnect and just use as the new horn.

streetsurfer
06-14-2014, 05:44 PM
I believe you remove or just peel back the front of one fender liner to access it. Left if I remember correctly.

docron
06-14-2014, 06:26 PM
So I got the Wolo yesterday. Now I'm trying to figure out where the OEM horn is to disconnect and just use as the new horn.

Stock horn is located above SMIC on driver side....watch Sila FMIC installation video on Madness DIY site and you can see where the horn is... :)

Here's a picture I forgot I had...

DaytonAbarth
06-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Stock horn is located above SMIC on driver side....watch Sila FMIC installation video on Madness DIY site and you can see where the horn is... :)

Here's a picture I forgot I had...

Hard to get my bearings without going back out to the car, but I think I barely saw the silver thing from underneath. I had the wheel well liner almost all the way out and even removed the driver's front wheel, but could not get a good look at it. After awhile I started feeling nauseous, can't seem to lay back with my head tilted back for very long anymore, and had to quit for the day. I'll check out that video and maybe try again next weekend. (Got the HID's in today at least.)

EDIT: watched the "Blair Witch" shaky cam video long enough to see the horn at least.

Tweak
06-15-2014, 12:21 AM
If I recall correctly you can see the horn through the driver side DRL access panel. You can't really get to it that way but you can see it to then figure out you preferred angle of "attack".

lagallinavecchia
06-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Thinking about replacing the horn with something very obnoxiously loud. Either Hella or a double air horn from the local Pep Boys. I've never heard any of the Hella's but they seem to be popular with the tuner crowd.

Anyone replaced theirs?

I've had an aftermarket horn sitting in my garage for a year.

I don't know who thinks this is easy, but can you come to my house and install it for me? It's a pain in the ass.

todd17
06-16-2014, 04:45 PM

I don't know who thinks this is easy, but can you come to my house and install it for me? It's a pain in the ass.

I installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone air horn in my Abarth. About $40 + cool sound and LOUD. I believe best way to approach this is to remove front bumper cover. OEM horn will be easily visible/accessible. I disconnected, then cut off OEM connector and spliced in + and - supply to Stebel horn. I made a small L bracket out of angle aluminum and mounted it to empty bolt hole in frame (relatively close to OEM horn). Upgrade horn fuse in OEM fusebox to 15a and you are good to go. Sorry, did not take pictures. Hope this helps!

Doohickie
06-17-2014, 01:50 AM

Where in NY are you? I'll be up there on vacation next month.

lagallinavecchia
06-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Where in NY are you? I'll be up there on vacation next month.

:D haha! Nice! I'm just a bit north of the city.

I think it's just a matter of (as todd17 mentioned) getting to the horn. I've tried the approach from the side, but it's a HASSLE. I think I just need to pull the bumper off... :(
I even have the wire kit ready to connect everything. Just need to take the time.

modular
06-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Once the battery tray for the smaller batteries is available and installed I will be bolting a Stebel Nautilus Compact Twin Air Horn and relay kit to the core support area in front of the battery area. I've had these in past cars and they WILL get people's attention. Plus, the Italian air horn sound more than fits the car and they hardly make a sound, if any, when you lock the car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMX20H4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028ZKMM6/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lagallinavecchia
06-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Once the battery tray for the smaller batteries is available and installed I will be bolting a Stebel Nautilus Compact Twin Air Horn and relay kit to the core support area in front of the battery area. I've had these in past cars and they WILL get people's attention. Plus, the Italian air horn sound more than fits the car and they hardly make a sound, if any, when you lock the car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMX20H4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028ZKMM6/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Exactly! ...and I have both of the above ^^^

MarkG
07-16-2014, 08:49 AM
I installed a Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone air horn in my Abarth. About $40 + cool sound and LOUD. I believe best way to approach this is to remove front bumper cover. OEM horn will be easily visible/accessible. I disconnected, then cut off OEM connector and spliced in + and - supply to Stebel horn. I made a small L bracket out of angle aluminum and mounted it to empty bolt hole in frame (relatively close to OEM horn). Upgrade horn fuse in OEM fusebox to 15a and you are good to go. Sorry, did not take pictures. Hope this helps!

I found it easiest to pull the drivers inner fender well and the parking light. This gives plenty of room to to fit a bracket and horn. I also upgraded my fuse because the relay failed twice on me.

modular
07-16-2014, 09:05 AM
For those that have an aftermarket intake that no longer uses the stock air box except for decoration the Stebel air horn mounts perfectly using the mounting hole for the ram air scoop on the core support. Doing this forced me to finally get a red engine cover as you loose the ability to use the ram air scoop. I was able to reach everything from the top and left the OEM horn in place.

I too upped the fuse in the underhood fuse panel to a 15a unit. Also, you will loose the brief honk when you lock to the doors as the air horn does not have enough time to react to the momentary current but you do hear the relay click. I personally liked this side effect.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/scottozanne/misc1/20140705_111030_zps3b2bf51d.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/scottozanne/misc1/20140705_111012_zpsf632a5c2.jpg

Winston
08-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Nautilus by Stebel is a great horn. I had one installed on my 2013 Abarth and my wife loved the sound so , she got one installed too ! The sound is very loud and much more in keeping with the character of the car .

rossonola
07-28-2015, 06:08 PM
I have a 2013 500Abarth. Stock horn is totally wimpy. Got a FIAMM ultimate blast dual tone air horn from 500Madness (item #119; the claim it fits my car). Here's the question(s): how can I wire the new horn so that the stock horn still works when the door lock button is pushed, but the main horn button on the steering wheel operates the FIAMM horn? Also, know where I can get a schematic of the FIAMM horn? Thanks for any help, ao