PDA

View Full Version : What are some safe, but high RPM shifting points?

Purgatory
05-30-2014, 12:17 AM
With less than 400 miles, still a little uncertain at this point, how much the engine/clutch can really take, not use to a set up quite like the Abarth.

What are some typical safe high RPM shift points I could experiment.

I seem to be afraid of pushing 1st gear in particular, I get out of first by about 4,000 rpm (or less). How much can 1st take without cutting off the limiter?

Same with the other gears, what are some typical safe shift points, in sport mode of course, to get a good spirited run, without me worrying about trashing the engine or clutch?

Again, I don't really know what the car can do, or is capable of doing, without doing major harm.

I already don't downshift unless I am downshifting to match traffic conditions in front of me. If I am driving up to a stop light/sign and no one is in front of me, generally back in neutral using the brakes. I am of the school that its cheaper to replace brake pads, then to replace clutches or gear boxes.

I don't want to baby the car, even though its new, and I want to exploit what I have, but don't want to trash or dog the car needlessly. For me, its my daily driver and a long term keeper. There's got to be a happy compromise some where.

Open to any first hand experience from you great guys, and see what you might suggest to give me some confidence. Perhaps this is why I have never seen the shift light come on during Sport Mode, I may never been reaching the upper limits in any gear change.

David

Eurowned
05-30-2014, 02:36 AM
With less than 400 miles, still a little uncertain at this point, how much the engine/clutch can really take, not use to a set up quite like the Abarth.

What are some typical safe high RPM shift points I could experiment.

I seem to be afraid of pushing 1st gear in particular, I get out of first by about 4,000 rpm (or less). How much can 1st take without cutting off the limiter?

Same with the other gears, what are some typical safe shift points, in sport mode of course, to get a good spirited run, without me worrying about trashing the engine or clutch?

Again, I don't really know what the car can do, or is capable of doing, without doing major harm.

I already don't downshift unless I am downshifting to match traffic conditions in front of me. If I am driving up to a stop light/sign and no one is in front of me, generally back in neutral using the brakes. I am of the school that its cheaper to replace brake pads, then to replace clutches or gear boxes.

I don't want to baby the car, even though its new, and I want to exploit what I have, but don't want to trash or dog the car needlessly. For me, its my daily driver and a long term keeper. There's got to be a happy compromise some where.

Open to any first hand experience from you great guys, and see what you might suggest to give me some confidence. Perhaps this is why I have never seen the shift light come on during Sport Mode, I may never been reaching the upper limits in any gear change.

David

I drive my 500T very hard and lets just say its faster then a stock Abarth. Daily driving I shift around 3500rpm and then when I am on a spirited drive I take it to redline and shift 500rpm short of the rev limiter in every gear. I have driven it this way since it had 8 miles on it. Uses 1qt of oil every 6k miles (completely normal for a turbocharged car).

Gundy
05-30-2014, 06:50 AM
I find it hard to shift before 5k just because the little
bugger comes alive at the higher revs. My understanding
is the engine is "over built" for a street engine. They sure
take a beating at Abarth Experience yet I was told they
haven't had an engine failure.
I too use brakes and not gearing to slow for your reasons.
Nail it to 6k. You will love it. I especially like the way the
gear ratios are set. That 3rd gear is a blast coming on
the highway from an on ramp.

Long_John
05-30-2014, 09:43 AM
You can rev it all you want up to the redline. There is a limiter set just into the redline to keep you from going any further. Its more than ok to hit it once in a while ..here and there. You wont damage anything.
As far as downshifting goes. Try a Google search on "rev matching"
15yrs of driving/racing standard cars and bikes etc.

Purgatory
05-30-2014, 09:47 AM
I find it hard to shift before 5k just because the little
bugger comes alive at the higher revs. My understanding
is the engine is "over built" for a street engine. They sure
take a beating at Abarth Experience yet I was told they
haven't had an engine failure.
I too use brakes and not gearing to slow for your reasons.

the highway from an on ramp.
Thanks to both of you, so far, for your answers.

Gundy - so it sounds like shifting at 5,000-6,000 rpm, shouldn't hurt a thing. I too have read things that indicate that the engine is built way strong, plus with the heavy duty gear box, and clutch - should be able to handle it.

Somewhere in my threads, I reported what my Studio manager told me from his recent Daytona experience about talking to the Fiat engineers. Said in all these events, only had a single gear box replacement (due to a real idiot customer - at high speed, shifted into first gear instead of third, a rare clutch. Said they mostly only ever replaced brake pads and tires, totally expected.

Guess I am not use to any of this yet, so today, going on a longer country run, with lots of straights and windies, going to open her up a bit more, and try to get a feel for what this little bugger can do, after all, that's why I bought it in the first place.

I agree, have already found that 3rd gear, is a joy, I like to sit spun up around 4k, and even at that, it's like a snake waiting to strike by stomping the pedal. I like the game of "point and choose", where I basically take anyone's space I choose on the Interstate roads. All I do is look and choose, and due to the short length of the car, can pretty well take over any one's place in any lane for the sheer fun of it. Or "sewing the needle", where you weave you way through heavy traffic, kind of like an autocross, but with other cars instead of cones, lol. And of course, "chasing the devil's tail" on a good high speed run. Still hard to believe I play these games at my age, but hey, it keeps me young.

Eurowned
05-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Shouldn't worry about the Abarth motor its quite stout with its iron block, and having a main girdle. So the block itself has great structural rigidity. Then the rotating assembly is all forged so thats all a good plus from the factory and most turbocharged motors today are forged from the factory. The pistons are of a cast variety but still can hold pretty well. So to put you at ease you can be stock or highly modified on stock motor and have a tune of a reputable tuner you can drive it like you stole it everyday, all day. Just keep it maintained and it won't fail.

Purgatory
05-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Shouldn't worry about the Abarth motor its quite stout with its iron block, and having a main girdle. So the block itself has great structural rigidity. Then the rotating assembly is all forged so thats all a good plus from the factory and most turbocharged motors today are forged from the factory. The pistons are of a cast variety but still can hold pretty well. So to put you at ease you can be stock or highly modified on stock motor and have a tune of a reputable tuner you can drive it like you stole it everyday, all day. Just keep it maintained and it won't fail.

Sounds very reassuring to me. Think I was worried over simply not knowing what I was dealing with. Our Abarth's are a special animal for sure

kaytbugsdad
05-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Yup, I shift at 6K all the time at the track........ usually shift between 4-5k on the street...... Love the sound of the turbo whistle from the exhaust!!!!

Purgatory
05-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Yup, I shift at 6K all the time at the track........ usually shift between 4-5k on the street...... Love the sound of the turbo whistle from the exhaust!!!!

that's good to know. as I learn to push my new toy harder and harder, rather start out cautious than to be over eager and foolish. just want to know the safe limits, thanks for your input

ScorpionSkins.com
05-30-2014, 10:49 PM
I can't speak from a technical stand point, but I have a friend who was a Fiat Tech in Italy for years. He's worked on the turbojet model as well as the Punto Abarths equipped with our multiair engine. He's reassured me that in stock form, it would be nearly impossible to harm the engine unless you're being reckless about it. In all his time as a Fiat Tech there, he's never seen an Abarth motor come in. Sound like a fantastic endorsement to push the engine to your hearts content, as far as I'm concerned. :eagerness:

Purgatory
05-30-2014, 10:56 PM
I can't speak from a technical stand point, but I have a friend who was a Fiat Tech in Italy for years. He's worked on the turbojet model as well as the Punto Abarths equipped with our multiair engine. He's reassured me that in stock form, it would be nearly impossible to harm the engine unless you're being reckless about it. In all his time as a Fiat Tech there, he's never seen an Abarth motor come in. Sound like a fantastic endorsement to push the engine to your hearts content, as far as I'm concerned. :eagerness:

thank you for that reassuring input, coming from an actual Fiat Tech, that's all but a blessing on pushing the engine hard, that's what it was engineered and built for.

shagghie
05-31-2014, 03:43 AM
OK i'm not kidding here, so this is genuine input. You can shift as high as you want to as often as you want to. The best way to learn the engine is to ding that limiter in every gear through 4th (if you have the room). You'll eventually learn that you aren't making any additional power past around 5500 RPMs, so running it all the way up to 6500, while not harmful, is also not the fastest way to go, either. You go to a place like Italy and all you hear is rev limiters being pinged on nearly every shift. It cuts of very very early on this car... you aren't going to do any harm and more to the point you will finally learn the sounds and vibrations that tell you where 5500 or so is... Have no fear, nothing bad is going to happen!

jguerdat
05-31-2014, 09:26 AM
^^ +1

Mr. Man
05-31-2014, 03:24 PM
The car begs to be pushed, you're doing her an injustice by not listening!

Purgatory
05-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging remarks, I am believing you guys, and I am winding my beast out more and more, and the thrill and sound just gets better and better. I am definitely in the club.