PDA

View Full Version : Talked to the local tire guy today...

Abarthsc
05-24-2014, 10:52 AM
I explained the issues with the Pirellis, high speed wander, tramlining etc etc. His take on it was, the grooves that go all the way round are most likely the problem, breaking up that complete circumference would probably help. Makes sense when you think about it.
Any thoughts anyone?

Abarth Five O
05-25-2014, 12:45 PM
I agree with your tire guy. The Pirellis P Zeroes are a piece of s*&^. As soon as I upgraded to Falkens Azenis R615ks, the wandering, tramlining, fishtailing, etc. at high speeds over 50 mph was gone instantly.

rustbucket
05-25-2014, 05:00 PM
His take on it was, the grooves that go all the way round are most likely the problem, breaking up that complete circumference would probably help.

Fwiw, from Tire Rack ...

Tramlining: Coping with the Ruts in the Road
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

I think the circumferential grooves ("groove wander") are part of the problem but not all of it- belt design, tread compound and build quality among other things enter into it, too. Michelin Pilot Sports have circumferential grooves but I don't see anywhere near the complaints that I do about the P Zero's. The P Zero's on the Abarth I test drove earlier this year exhibited less tramlining than the OEM Conti's on my Sport and imho the Conti's aren't too bad in that regard.

BigDaddySRT
05-25-2014, 07:50 PM
I explained the issues with the Pirellis, high speed wander, tramlining etc etc. His take on it was, the grooves that go all the way round are most likely the problem, breaking up that complete circumference would probably help. Makes sense when you think about it.
Any thoughts anyone?

It's your factory alignment... Not the Pirelli's.

rustbucket
05-25-2014, 10:12 PM
It's your factory alignment... Not the Pirelli's.

Explain further, you've got me curious ...

bryanintowson
05-26-2014, 08:58 AM
bump.

BigDaddySRT
05-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Explain further, you've got me curious ...

It's all the Negative Toe in the Rear Suspension Module.

Put a set of MOPAR shims in the rear to dial some out.

Robert Nixon
05-26-2014, 02:12 PM
doesn't just about every tire have grooves all the way around the tire?

Abarthsc
05-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Lots do yes, he was saying the weight of the car and the circumferenced grooves probably didn't help and that fitting a similar type of pattern might not do any good. This was just his general observation, he's just a good ole country boy, don't think he had ever even seen a Fiat before mine lol

bomba
06-04-2014, 07:17 PM
I found that setting the tire pressures properly greatly reduces the effect. I also did a 4 wheel alignment after installing the rear Konis and a mild drop. Tire pressures being set properly made a noticeable difference on my car.