PDA

View Full Version : Experience with OZ 17-inch wheelsódo they hold up?

Horizontally-Opposed
05-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Forgive the crosspost, but limited response has me wondering if the folks running these wheels might be on this forum.

I'm thinking about buying a set of OZ 17s, but wondering if forum members who have used OZ 17s for thousands of miles might weigh in. I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area, where roads are better than many placesóbut not always as nice as people tend to think they are.

Thanks!!!

Tweak
05-21-2014, 09:48 PM
I think we have owners from both NY and TN with them and they have done well for both owners.

Users Abarth67 (in TN) and FTY (in NY)

I think they have the wheels you are asking about.

Robert Nixon
05-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Isn't OZ a major name in wheels? Do you think there is a problem with them?

shagghie
05-22-2014, 01:30 AM
My Allegeritas held up beautifully for a season of autocross and even some ralleycross mayhem out in the vegas desserts. OZ are some of the strongest wheels on the planet by weight, use in Rally, track, mixed-surface races, etc. all over the world. They are the real deal, and I've yet to see one broken OZ wheel (though all wheels break at the track eventually...)

Horizontally-Opposed
05-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks! I think OZ makes good wheels, too. But cast wheels vs. forged is something else.

Reason I asked is threefold:

1) I had a set of custom 16-inch OZ Monte Carlos on my Xerati (XR4Ti) after college, and all four got taco'd on an SF street late one night when public works left some nice open trenches across the road. You could see the wheels were bent at 3 mph. (Because they were a one-off set, I had them repaired (Ohio?) and, to my amazement, they came back fine. Still on the car 15 years later, from the last photo of it I've seen.)

2) The OZs I am looking at running are race wheels.

3) There isn't much sidewall with a 205/40R17. I may go to a 215/40R17 just to cheat the sidewall up a hair.

lenswerks
05-22-2014, 07:30 PM
You will be okay with any of the the OZ Racing wheels.

NGEN
06-02-2014, 01:59 AM
You will be okay with any of the the OZ Racing wheels.

clean look!