PDA

View Full Version : Didn't go into drive after backing up on a hill

Pamela R Cook-Thomas
05-18-2014, 08:41 AM
This scared the daylights out of me. I was in a parking space, I put into reverse, backed up but was going backwards down a slight hill. Put it in Drive and the transmission didn't engage. I rolled backwards till I touched a wall then was able to go forward. Also noticed that the shift gets stuck and will not come out of park easy. Have to press the lever 2-3 times to get it to move. Yes, I am putting my foot on the break. Also noticed that nav quit working once so far. I am getting scared I bought a lemon. I love my 500L Trekking. I loved my POP too. Just have to find the time to get up to McKinney to get it looked at. Also tranny hesitates especially when I put my foot into it, from a idle stop, like when I need to cross a intersection. Or it over revs when I gun it.11769:

dart1.4t
05-18-2014, 09:41 AM
i think there was a recall on the tranmission module. shifting problems are not uncommon on the 500l. the dart has the same trans but is built in different factories.

there could be a wiring issue or the might have just been a quirk in the uconnect. they will likely fix the tranmission quickly, hopefully the uconnect starts behaving or atleast was able to log a fault because it can take a few visits to a dealer before they change the right part. the process may start with a diagnostic where they see nothing wrong and give it back to you, then they may shrug their shoulders and reflash it just hoping for a magical solution, then they may change the unit, this if all else fails they may start looking at wiring.

bryanintowson
05-18-2014, 10:01 AM
This sounds exactly like what some folks have been talking about here for a few months. dart is correct in that there is a recall on the transmissions so take your L back to your studio ASAP.

Tweak
05-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Hope the dealer can quickly resolve your issue(s).

FiatCares
05-21-2014, 12:24 PM
This scared the daylights out of me. I was in a parking space, I put into reverse, backed up but was going backwards down a slight hill. Put it in Drive and the transmission didn't engage. I rolled backwards till I touched a wall then was able to go forward. Also noticed that the shift gets stuck and will not come out of park easy. Have to press the lever 2-3 times to get it to move. Yes, I am putting my foot on the break. Also noticed that nav quit working once so far. I am getting scared I bought a lemon. I love my 500L Trekking. I loved my POP too. Just have to find the time to get up to McKinney to get it looked at. Also tranny hesitates especially when I put my foot into it, from a idle stop, like when I need to cross a intersection. Or it over revs when I gun it.11769:

Please let us (or PM me) with the results of the dealer visit.

ladygodiva70
05-24-2014, 02:34 PM

I had my transmission module updated, but the other day, when I was dropping my daughter off at girl guides, I was leaving and backed up into a driveway that was on a downhill slant. When I shifted into drive and went to pull out, my car rolled backwards which scared the day lights out of me since there was a group of young girls behind me. When I was finally able to pull away, my tires spun and threw gravel all over behind me. Could have been a bad situation. I thought there was a mechanism in the cars that prevented them from rolling back like that...

Tweak
05-24-2014, 08:52 PM
I had my transmission module updated, but the other day, when I was dropping my daughter off at girl guides, I was leaving and backed up into a driveway that was on a downhill slant. When I shifted into drive and went to pull out, my car rolled backwards which scared the day lights out of me since there was a group of young girls behind me. When I was finally able to pull away, my tires spun and threw gravel all over behind me. Could have been a bad situation. I thought there was a mechanism in the cars that prevented them from rolling back like that...

Hill Assist assuming it is like the other 500 models but it may be disabled, probably worth checking into that.

bryanintowson
05-25-2014, 10:58 AM
My automatic 500 has hill start assist and I actually use it - I think it's great. Scroll through your settings on your 500L and check to see if it's activated or not. The default setting on my 500 Lounge was "off".

A quick google showed that it does appear some or all 500L's have hill start assist:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/fiat/500L.html