PDA

View Full Version : Question reguarding best cold air intake.

Italian Boy
05-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Hi,

Iam new to owning a automatic fiat 500 sport. Looking to get a cold air intake. At the dealership they sell the injen cold air intake. Is there one that performs any better? Thanks

cy-clone33
05-17-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't think that anyone can or will post actual results comparing different types of intakes, If they did you wouldn't need to ask this question because we would all know..

In my opinion ( maybe not shared by others ) $250 and up is OUTRAGES for $15 worth of material.. I built my own for my car from stainless steel exhaust tubing ( 2 1/2 dia ) took my time did lots of measuring and the finished item cost $45 including the filter

It was fun to do,, here is a pic if you decide to try it, nothing is welded, I soldered all the connectors on, it has 15,000 miles on it with ZERO issues

I realize that you have a non turbo car so it will be completely different BUT, the idea is free

As far as your original question I would stick with the vendors that have the best reputation because other than that there isn't a proven difference from one to another ( again my opinion ) GOOD LUCK

Tweak
05-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forum.

As Ron stated check with the vendors here for multiple options, options vary with who likes what and why. The Injen is liked both those that own it if that helps.

Nero12
05-17-2014, 10:53 PM
I like the competizione. Its the only one I know of that you can keep the stock engine cover.

mactography
05-17-2014, 11:17 PM
You can also keep the stock engine cover with the Eurocompulsion V2 and V3 intakes.

I've ran the Eurocompulsion V2 and V4 intakes and have loved both. I respect Ron's opinion but that won't stop me from loving the ones I've chosen. I think there's a lot of good designs on the market though.

Nero12
05-17-2014, 11:29 PM
He's got a non turbo sport from what I can tell. Now if I get an Abarth one day, Ill keep that in mind

mactography
05-18-2014, 12:44 AM
He's got a non turbo sport from what I can tell. Now if I get an Abarth one day, Ill keep that in mind

My mistake; I got caught up in the comparisons and didn't think about him being in a NA 500.

lammie200
05-18-2014, 10:18 AM
If I had to do it all over again I would just use a drop-in BMC or drop-in Competizione and keep the stock airbox. Much less money and much less of a headache for the install. I have the Niveus which took a bit of fiddling to fit. I had to make a bracket since the welded on bracket didn't line up with the bolt hole that it was supposed to line up with. I had to buy a longer silicone elbow because the one that came with the kit was too short. And I replaced the snorkel valve with a double hump silicone coupler because the snorkel valve was so rigid that it didn't allow for engine movement and not allowing for it is a bad thing. And lastly, I had to install it while the car was on a lift and use some creativity for getting to install points to tighten clamps. Now that I have done it I can probably install it in 20 minutes like the video shows, but I would need the new bracket, new bolts for the bracket, and new couplers handy to do it.

Before I decided to get the Niveus I tried the red Competizione cold air intake that advertises that it can be installed with the dummied stock airbox and engine cover. Wasn't even close to being able to be fitted. Tons of stuff are in the way and pipe lengths didn't seem to be correct. Another alternative is the Mopar cold air intake. From what I know it is somewhat similar to the Niveus but a bit more clunky. I believe that people have said that they have had similar problems with the rigidity of the snorkel and it breaking.

Unfortunately the only ones that I don't know anything about are the Injen, or the K&N typhoon.

Hope this info helps.

crankin
05-18-2014, 10:42 AM
K&N lists a typhoon kit for the non turbo. Looks pretty slick too. Mounts the filter close to the front with enclosed box similar to the Madness turbo highrise.

Jester49
05-18-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't think that anyone can or will post actual results comparing different types of intakes, If they did you wouldn't need to ask this question because we would all know..

In my opinion ( maybe not shared by others ) $250 and up is OUTRAGES for $15 worth of material.. I built my own for my car from stainless steel exhaust tubing ( 2 1/2 dia ) took my time did lots of measuring and the finished item cost $45 including the filter

It was fun to do,, here is a pic if you decide to try it, nothing is welded, I soldered all the connectors on, it has 15,000 miles on it with ZERO issues

I realize that you have a non turbo car so it will be completely different BUT, the idea is free

As far as your original question I would stick with the vendors that have the best reputation because other than that there isn't a proven difference from one to another ( again my opinion ) GOOD LUCK

From what I can see in the photo, what you have there is a Hot air intake...The stock setup draws air from the front...Yours is inside the engine compartment . Am I missing something ??

lammie200
05-18-2014, 11:04 AM
From what I can see in the photo, what you have there is a Hot air intake...The stock setup draws air from the front...Yours is inside the engine compartment . Am I missing something ??

He has a turbo that has an intercooler. The difference between hot air or cold air probably wouldn't be as dramatic as it would be with a naturally aspirated engine.

Jester49
05-18-2014, 11:14 AM
He has a turbo that has an intercooler. The difference between hot air or cold air probably wouldn't be as dramatic as it would be with a naturally aspirated engine.

I completely forgot about the intercoolers, the air does get heated up pretty good just going through the turbo housing anyway..

cy-clone33
05-18-2014, 12:37 PM
I am guessing that you are asking about my homemade intake,, The inlet just isnt in the picture,I took that months ago as I was designing the angles etc

Ill post a pic of the air inlet when I get home so that it makes more sense