PDA

View Full Version : New Abarth in Vermont

DVT
05-14-2014, 05:34 AM
I just shocked my wife and purchased a rosso Abarth with black leather interior and 17-inch wheels yesterday. With both our boys now driving, we needed a third car, so they are driving our 2009 M/T Honda Fit Sport, while my wife and I fight over who gets to drive the Abarth every day. Loser gets the 2014 Mazda6 (also a manual).

The car is an absolute blast to drive, but I wonder about a couple things. First, the shifter feels like I'm stirring a hearty pot of beef stew. I've never modded a thing in my life, but I'm already thinking about a Neuspeed shift adapter to tighten that up. Coming from the Honda Fit shifter, I'd really like to get back to the crisp throws I had there. Would the Neuspeed be a good solution? And can a mechanically challenged schmoe manage the install?

Second, I was surprised at the amount of body roll from the Abarth. Again, my comparison points are the Honda Fit (an underpowered go-kart that steers and corners like it's on rails) and the new Mazda6 (which is an impressive handler). Both corner and turn very well. Was I expecting too much for the Abarth to approach that? Or maybe I'm just misjudging because of the high seating position and dynamics of the short wheelbase and electric steering.

My 11-year-old daughter LOVES the Abarth and has already laid claim to it when she goes to college (a short 7 years away). My wife worries about the noisy exhaust, which I desperately hope will convince her to adopt the Mazda6 as her daily driver, but I can tell that's already a lost cause. She won't stop smiling...

Oh well, I'll still get mine every now and then. Even a little Abarth is better than no Abarth at all, right?

Robert Nixon
05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Congrats on the Abarth, Rosso is the best color!

I don't really think the Abarth has a lot of body roll, so would agree that it's just the short wheel base and overall dimensions that you feel.

Tweak
05-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Congrats and welcome.

Little suspension modding and you'll be on rails again. I've had a guy chase me down at a stoplight and mention how quick and planeted my Abarth seemed. He had a other questions and comments but this is what he started with. :)

E Rossi
05-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Rosso Rocks!

Congrats!

:rockon:

Purgatory
05-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Congratulations on your great choice of car and color. My new Rosso is in transit, can't wait. My wife can't drive a stick, hee hee, so I don't have to worry about sharing. plus she has her own girly Pearl White Lounge which she loves dearly.

VermontsAbarth
05-14-2014, 10:53 PM
glad to hear theres 3 Vermonters on the forum! Did you get yours from Jordan at Berlin city?

DVT
05-15-2014, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I love the color, both inside and out. We were lucky to grab a '13 with just the features we wanted. The black wheels on red is a great look, as is the black leather interior with the red dash. Too cool.

VermontsAbarth, yes I did work with Jordan over at Berlin City. He was great to work with, though I have to say he had a very easy sale. :) I already knew everything about the car. He just had to help me convince my wife! How has your experience been with Berlin City and their service folks? Anything I need to know about?

trevc
05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Abarth!

VermontsAbarth
05-16-2014, 07:32 AM
I was the same way. after we went for one test drive I was 100% hooked! Only thing id say is if you have the Factory Pirelli's the road noise is very loud, and they wear out typical around 15,000 miles give or take. Other than ive put 14,000 on mine commuting from the islands to Burlington. What area do you live in?

DVT
05-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I figured the OEM shoes wouldn't be long for this world. They never are. I'll need to worry about snow tires first, though, because we will be driving through the winter.

I'm in Colchester down by Malletts Bay.

So here's a question: I love the power of the Abarth but hope to tighten the package with two initial mods. I'm on a budget, so I'm looking for solid 80/20 solutions at this point. First, the shifter. It's way too sloppy. I'm nearly decided on the Neu-F shift adapter. Think that's a good solution?

Second, the suspension. There's too much initial body roll and I find it a bit unbecoming. Mind you, I won't lower the car, because winter. But what are my best options here, you think?

Tweak
05-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I figured the OEM shoes wouldn't be long for this world. They never are. I'll need to worry about snow tires first, though, because we will be driving through the winter.

I'm in Colchester down by Malletts Bay.

So here's a question: I love the power of the Abarth but hope to tighten the package with two initial mods. I'm on a budget, so I'm looking for solid 80/20 solutions at this point. First, the shifter. It's way too sloppy. I'm nearly decided on the Neu-F shift adapter. Think that's a good solution?

Second, the suspension. There's too much initial body roll and I find it a bit unbecoming. Mind you, I won't lower the car, because winter. But what are my best options here, you think?

I know of a member that has a brand new set of Neuspeed springs that do not lower the ride as much as they typically do, those and a set of Koni shocks might be ideal for you to maintain a higher ride height. The user is spotman if you wish to shoot him a PM.

DVT
05-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I know of a member that has a brand new set of Neuspeed springs that do not lower the ride as much as they typically do, those and a set of Koni shocks might be ideal for you to maintain a higher ride height. The user is spotman if you wish to shoot him a PM.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm new to this, so I'm sure I'll have a hundred stupid questions to ask. So here's the first: If I'm looking for a quick/easy/cheap suspension tightening upgrade, would upgrading the rear torsion bar and/or front sway be effective?

802Abarth
05-16-2014, 06:20 PM
whats that make like 4-5 abarths in vermont now?

Tweak
05-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm new to this, so I'm sure I'll have a hundred stupid questions to ask. So here's the first: If I'm looking for a quick/easy/cheap suspension tightening upgrade, would upgrading the rear torsion bar and/or front sway be effective?

You're very welcome.
Rear torsion bar will help a lot with handling and hard braking as well as feeling more solid all around both when slow and at higher speeds.

DVT
05-16-2014, 08:02 PM
whats that make like 4-5 abarths in vermont now?

We are legion. :smile:

VermontsAbarth
05-17-2014, 01:40 AM
the torsion bar and koni shocks would be your best bet. I don't run mine in winter but with the madness drop coils and the koni's there is very little body roll. As for the shifter im content with the stock one but the short shift would make it much tighter ive heard good things about the neu speed shifter. and I graduated from CHS last year! great area

DVT
05-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Based on what you and Tweak have said, plus what I've read from user rjtrout over at the 500 Owners forum, I'm going to lead with the rear sway bar upgrade and see what that does to settle the Abarth down during turns. It's dead cheap and simple, retains full road clearance, and should address my specific issue (which is the amount of initial body roll before the chassis bites).

You graduated CHS last year, eh? You may know (or at least know of) my boys. I won't mention last names, but one son Kevin is a junior now and the other Patrick is a sophomore. Skinny kids. Both play soccer, and Kevin also competes in track and nordic skiing.

VermontsAbarth
05-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Torsion bar should fix your issue, and I know ive probably seen them around but off the top of my head im not positive