PDA

View Full Version : Console Clock Doesn't Keep Time

Visivo
05-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Dear Friends,

I'm driving a 2012 500 Sport. I've already posted about several annoying issues today; this will be my last one, I promise. ;-)

Do we all agree that the clock in the dash is incapable of keeping time? It's at least 5-10 minutes off, and it seems to fluctuate randomly over time (no pun intended). The Fiat dealer told me they have to replace the entire console in order to replace the clock, and even then, there was no promise that the new console would have a clock that works any better. Have any of you dealt with this matter yet? If so, please advise - thanks!

Best,

- Jordan

Tweak
05-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I have read of many with a slow clock and a few with a fast clock, the entire swap was said to be the fix but it is then a hit and miss if it resolves things...personally I think I'd work with it as is rather than have my interior pulled apart which would likely lead to more rattles and potentially broken pieces ending with poor fitment. Good luck whatever you decide.

Visivo
05-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I think I'd work with it as is rather than have my interior pulled apart which would likely lead to more rattles and potentially broken pieces ending with poor fitment.

Tweak - that's a really good point. I too hate the idea of having my dash taken apart, especially with no guarantee of a fix. I guess I don't need the clock to work, but you'd think by now we'd have figured out how to make a working clock. Doesn't inspire confidence. :-(

Tweak
05-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Tweak - that's a really good point. I too hate the idea of having my dash taken apart, especially with no guarantee of a fix. I guess I don't need the clock to work, but you'd think by now we'd have figured out how to make a working clock. Doesn't inspire confidence. :-(

I make no assurance but I think that someone mentioned a software update/flash which may also help so that'd be worth asking your dealer about at the very least.

lammie200
05-12-2014, 12:08 AM
I can add a few things:

1. I have a 2013 Sport and my clock is very accurate. I was prepared to be disappointed because I know that it was a problem on earlier models. One of my sisters has one and her clock is slow. Replacing the cluster with a newly manufactured one might not be such a hit or miss.

2. You are in San Rafael? McKevitt in Berkeley has a very decent service reputation from what I have heard. They might be able to change out the cluster correctly without causing more problems.

3. I read somewhere that the clock can be fixed with an OBD reflash. I don't know if that is true, but it might be worth a search.

Tweak
05-12-2014, 12:22 AM
I can add a few things:

1. I have a 2013 Sport and my clock is very accurate. I was prepared to be disappointed because I know that it was a problem on earlier models. One of my sisters has one and her clock is slow. Replacing the cluster with a newly manufactured one might not be such a hit or miss.

2. You are in San Rafael? McKevitt in Berkeley has a very decent service reputation from what I have heard. They might be able to change out the cluster correctly without causing more problems.

3. I read somewhere that the clock can be fixed with an OBD reflash. I don't know if that is true, but it might be worth a search.

Thanks lammie, glad someone else recalls the mention of the flash fix as well. I mention the hit/miss because at one time it was just that...it's been awhile so this may not be as much an issue anymore.

lammie200
05-12-2014, 12:28 AM
...I mention the hit/miss because at one time it was just that...it's been awhile so this may not be as much an issue anymore.

It may still be. I can only relate that my car was built in the spring of 2013 and the clock is good. In actuality I have had zero problems with my car overall.

bryanintowson
05-12-2014, 08:26 AM
When I got my car back in 2012, the first thing to go was my gauge cluster. It was mute - no beeping or turn signal ticking. So it had to be replaced. The part took almost 2 months to arrive and when they put it back together, I swear it wasn't the same. Also, the old clock kept perfect time and the new one is fast.

I just reset the clock every couple weeks. It's not truly broken so just leave it alone unless you don't mind having your entire dash taken apart.

Haring
05-12-2014, 09:52 AM
With this and your noise/preferences issues from the other threads you've started I'd suggest just taking it in and having it looked at or replaced.

Visivo
05-15-2014, 05:29 PM
I had my Fiat in at McKevitt today for oil change, etc. They said fixing the clock would require leaving the car overnight in order to flash the software, so I decided to wait until next time. Apparently the flash update is an overnight process?

- Jordan

lammie200
05-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Apparently the flash update is an overnight process?
- Jordan

Well if they are going to flash it they have to make sure that it is dark outside.smtree2

ottoscorch
12-22-2014, 12:20 AM
Mine has same problem ..I'm getting used to resetting it but my speedo is out by around five km and it is not resetable ...when you go through a speed indication zone it shows consistently lower than what the speedo is registering

oneflute1oboe
12-22-2014, 03:30 AM
My clock loses a few minutes every month. It's because I drive really, really fast. :P All kidding aside, I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one. I probably won't ask the dealer to disassemble the dash if it might or might not solve the problem but this software fix sounds potentially interesting. Thanks for the info and sorry about zombifying the thread.

JimmyTestarossa
12-22-2014, 10:51 AM
This may help;

link (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?13857-TSB-08-012-14-Clock-Gains-Time)

bryanintowson
12-22-2014, 11:48 AM
the reflash worked for me. Mine keeps perfect time now.

Eric Fischer
01-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Hi Jordan:

I also own a 2012 Fiat Sport. I have the same issues with the clock. The time seems to speed-up by about 10 minutes every 6-10 days.
Also would like to comment about the console. I find it very annoying that on a bright sunny day, I cannot see the speedometer at all,
it's totally pitch black and cannot read the speed I'm travelling...great for photo radar around town... Comments please...Thanks!

bryanintowson
01-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Herr Fischer -

Take your car back in and ask them to reflash your car. I'd check out all of the available software updates, give them the list and make sure they do them all. Since my car (2012 Lounge) got the latest reflash, the clock keeps nearly perfect time. It now only gains about 1 minute per month.

As for your speedo - do you have the digital speed indicator turned on? That might help you but overall I find the Lounge/Pop gauge which is black lettering on a white face to be easier to see than the sport white lettering on black. You might also consider running with your headlights on as that will activate the backlighting.

FIATINSA
01-27-2015, 07:46 PM
There is a flash that can be done at your dealer to remedy this problem.

Tweak
01-28-2015, 12:28 AM
There is a flash that can be done at your dealer to remedy this problem.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for contributing right from go. :)

emoryh
02-24-2015, 10:55 PM
I drive a 2012 fiat 500 and I've also had this problem for a as long as I can remember. I will notice it getting 5-10 minutes behind and I reset it.
Then same thing a couple months later. I've learned to just deal with it =/

Tweak
02-24-2015, 11:04 PM
I drive a 2012 fiat 500 and I've also had this problem for a as long as I can remember. I will notice it getting 5-10 minutes behind and I reset it.

Welcome to the forum. Since we have watches and smart phones no one needs time showing on a car anyway right? :D

bryanintowson
02-24-2015, 11:20 PM

The reflash corrects this issue. Take your car in to your local studio and ask for the latest software updates.