PDA

View Full Version : When should I have my oil changed?

Visivo
05-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Dear Friends,

I'm driving a 2012 500 Sport. Right around 4,500 miles I saw the "change oil" warning message appear. I had the oil changed at the dealership, and they placed a sticker on the windshield stating that the next oil change should be at 11,500 miles. I'm currently at 12,300 miles, and I have yet to see the change oil message again. Should I go ahead and have the oil changed or should I continue to wait for the message? Please advise - thanks!

Best,

- Jordan

zyxelenator
05-11-2014, 02:28 PM
It should lit up soon. It usually lights up around 4500 or 8000 miles. Depending on you drive style and shot trips. I would say plan for oil change soon.

Visivo
05-11-2014, 02:38 PM
It should lit up soon. It usually lights up around 4500 or 8000 miles. Depending on you drive style and shot trips. I would say plan for oil change soon.

Thanks, zyxelenator. So, just to be clear, you're saying I should disregard the dealer's sticker and continue to wait for the change oil message to appear?

- Jordan

zyxelenator
05-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Yeap, manufacture will always know better their own cars. Dealer knows better how to get your money.

Visivo
05-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Yeap, manufacture will always know better their own cars. Dealer knows better how to get your money.

Great. I will continue to wait and not worry. Thanks!

- Jordan

BigT
05-11-2014, 03:05 PM
It's also good to keep an eye on oil levels as well just to be on the safe side if your stretching it out waiting on change oil notification.

SeaDawg
05-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Also, since you have a 2012, remember to not exceed six months between changes even if the oil change notification does not come on.

Visivo
05-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Also, since you have a 2012, remember to not exceed six months between changes even if the oil change notification does not come on.

Why's that, Max? What is it specifically about the 2012?

- Jordan

zyxelenator
05-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Take a look at your manual. The only reason would be warranty. If your warranty is gone, keep it up to 1 year to stay on safe side.

Tweak
05-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Why's that, Max? What is it specifically about the 2012?

- Jordan

2012 is six months or 8K and 2013 is twelve months or 10K. As stated to maintain warranty this should be followed but after the warranty ends I'd not bother with the shorter intervals.

Visivo
05-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Wow - I didn't know that - thanks, guys! I wonder if they can really know if you've kept up with the intervals or not?!

- Jordan

Visivo
05-15-2014, 05:38 PM
I had my oil changed today at McKevitt - still before the "change oil" warning message ever appeared. The service advisor told me the 'six month rule' is false. He said they would never void the factory warranty unless the owner was negligent and willfully ignored the change oil warning for an extended period of time (he first said "a year," then backpedaled a little and said "as long as you're not ignoring the warning for months and months"). In other words, as a general rule, as long as you change the oil reasonably soon after the warning message appears, they won't void your warranty. I thought I'd share this good news with all those who were kind enough to respond to my thread.

I also thought I'd mention this interesting tidbit - apparently the rear Fiat emblem has been recalled. I was told they were mandated to replace the rear emblems, so I got a shiny brand new one. I insisted on keeping the old one, which actually looks just like fine as it is, so now I have a cool Fiat souvenir to hang somewhere.

- Jordan

Tweak
05-15-2014, 10:54 PM
I had my oil changed today at McKevitt - still before the "change oil" warning message ever appeared. The service advisor told me the 'six month rule' is false. He said they would never void the factory warranty unless the owner was negligent and willfully ignored the change oil warning for an extended period of time (he first said "a year," then backpedaled a little and said "as long as you're not ignoring the warning for months and months"). In other words, as a general rule, as long as you change the oil reasonably soon after the warning message appears, they won't void your warranty. I thought I'd share this good news with all those who were kind enough to respond to my thread.

I also thought I'd mention this interesting tidbit - apparently the rear Fiat emblem has been recalled. I was told they were mandated to replace the rear emblems, so I got a shiny brand new one. I insisted on keeping the old one, which actually looks just like fine as it is, so now I have a cool Fiat souvenir to hang somewhere.

- Jordan

It will come down to the dealer and what they decide to some degree...the above statement is just info as presented via the owners manuals.