PDA

View Full Version : This is for you boris

cy-clone33
05-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Well about 2 or 3 yrs ago Boris sent me a small battery and challenge me to make soemthing that was both affordable and pleasing to the eye for mounting etc

OK it was only a couple months ago but feels like 2 years

I have the FIRST version of the battery cover finished, I say first version because your input has historically changed the design to what you prefer

Im at the shop at the moment BUT Ill be back home in a few hours to post up pics of the BATTERY COVER.. this will incorporate in with an aluminm mount that will hold the ECU and the battery reducing weight around 20 lbs I believe and It looks like it will be available in 3 styles

#1 will be a cover that uses your stock battery etc, just a bolt on to make it look better,,The pic I post will be with a stock battery in

#2 will be if you want the smaller battery and still want the stock plastic tray etc

#3 will be the full monty with a new tray , ecu mount and cover

Im going to try to get the cover under $100

the cover and tray with custom battery hold downs will be about $200/$250 still some variables to figure on hardware etc

NOW when I post the pics later remember this is just to show geometry and fit, Its not flush in the compartment etc because I havnt removed my stock battery and this first cover is specifically for the smaller style battery

And if you want a laugh I disconnected my battery so as not to cause a spark etc while working etc, then I closed the hood with the car locked,, 15 min of panic followed untill I noticed that the doors have a mechanical lock as well as the remote PHEW !!!!

krayzielilsmoki
05-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Alright! Im very excited to see what you got :)

the stig
05-04-2014, 12:40 PM
I'd love to see the full monty!:aroused:

cy-clone33
05-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Mark I will have the battery mount etc as soon as I get the X brace shipped, It all gets hidden beneath the cover

the stig
05-04-2014, 03:51 PM
I'd love to see a picture of an installed battery box so I can get an idea of where the battery will sit. Are you leaving the battery in the same general position or moving the battery down to a slightly lower position? If you are that could be a problem for my application. Tork is going to make up a true CAI that will take in air from below the stock battery box location and route it around the rear of the engine bay. It looks like a good design but he's so busy he hasn't been able to fab one up yet. I think his filter location will be in about the same general area as where the filter sits for the mopar CAI, the one for the normally aspirated motor.

cy-clone33
05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
the lowest point of the battery is fixed, the battery will remain at the same "plane" its necessary because of how short the wires are for the ECU etc

the mount will be exactly like the plastic stock mount ONLY shorter because the braille battery is not as large, So Im cetain that if whats being made will fit on a stock battery it will fit on this

The clamp for the battery itself is overkill, but the only thing that will work first try, its a copy of a current design that will be a part of the box

any suggestions on what the cover looks like ?

dylansi
05-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Wow that will look good painted.

cy-clone33
05-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Wow that will look good painted.

I wanted to be certain that it was even at the rear to match with the engine cover, It will be angled to match the slop of the engine cover as well, the mounting points will be incorporated into the battery box

wanting input as far as cut outs ( slots ) ? no cut outs ? Mine will have text most likely SCCA STC 2013 500T to break it up from being boring

krayzielilsmoki
05-04-2014, 07:55 PM
I think the front should have a slope like the engine cover to compliment the cover. Also I would get the slots to match my cover. Also the sharp angles and edges should be rounded like the engine cover.

cy-clone33
05-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I think the front should have a slope like the engine cover to compliment the cover. Also I would get the slots to match my cover. Also the sharp angles and edges should be rounded like the engine cover.

Agree. this was a hand manufactured piece like the first of all my parts more for a fit and visual The issue with the front is the shape of the cars front bracing, the only place to put an angle will be where the large radius meets with the straight angle, It is on the list of possibilities,

If you look at that area of the car you have a large radius starting at the left that travels right for about 8 inches then its followed by a 12 degree angle I put a stiffiner on the angled section and checked gaps etc

It gets pricey doing all this with aluminum, I have to intentional start out large and work down from there, I don't toss anything, the cover on my car is the FIRST hand cut cover, and this will go on the car as well as the FIRST battery cover

I am going to do all the changes in ABS plastic which is less expensive but still cost me $50 for the 4 X 8 sheet

krayzielilsmoki
05-04-2014, 10:00 PM
You are correct, the angled idea might not work, or look right. It was just an idea I tossed in but I realized later that it wouldn't work.

spotman
05-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Ron, I think it's going to look great on the car. I noticed on the front of your car that you have your CPR logo, is that painted on? Or a decal? If a decal, what is the cost for a couple of them sent to me? Thanks gr_grin

cy-clone33
05-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Ron, I think it's going to look great on the car. I noticed on the front of your car that you have your CPR logo, is that painted on? Or a decal? If a decal, what is the cost for a couple of them sent to me? Thanks gr_grin

decal and free, what color?

spotman
05-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Wow! Thank you, red would be great, again thanks Ron. bigok