PDA

View Full Version : Battery failure, or something worse?

kenspi
04-20-2014, 09:37 PM
We have an early 2012 500c (mfg 6/11), which just hit the 50K mileage mark. It's been running great, until last night when it refused to start. I had just driven it less than a couple of hours prior and it had no signs of problems. Now the dash lights up at first, but won't crank and goes dark when turning the key. The electric locks don't work, either. I left a charger on it for a couple of hours and it still won't start, not do the electric locks work. My last try involved a jump start from an SUV that should put out more amps than my small (10A) charger. The headlights glow bright, but I just hear clicking when trying to start it (doesn't turn over).

Does this sound like a battery failure or something more severe? I'd hope the battery would last more than 2-1/2 years since it's driven frequently on longer drives. Since it *just* went off warranty I'm hoping the issue isn't more severe. A new battery wouldn't be a ton of money, but it might be wasted money if it's not at fault.

Thanks.

Fiat500USA
04-20-2014, 10:23 PM
I would make sure your fuses are OK and then I would check the battery - bring it to an AutoZone kind of store and have them load test the battery. Have them do it twice just to make sure there isn't a surface charge on the battery.

When you jump start the car, it is possible to blow fuses so make sure that isn't the case. Also, double check the connections when jump starting the car to rule out a bad connection - very common. Even though the battery isn't that old, it is possible it could be bad. The only way to tell is to have it tested. Good luck and let us know.

zyxelenator
04-21-2014, 12:37 AM
We have an early 2012 500c (mfg 6/11), which just hit the 50K mileage mark. It's been running great, until last night when it refused to start. I had just driven it less than a couple of hours prior and it had no signs of problems. Now the dash lights up at first, but won't crank and goes dark when turning the key. The electric locks don't work, either. I left a charger on it for a couple of hours and it still won't start, not do the electric locks work. My last try involved a jump start from an SUV that should put out more amps than my small (10A) charger. The headlights glow bright, but I just hear clicking when trying to start it (doesn't turn over).

Does this sound like a battery failure or something more severe? I'd hope the battery would last more than 2-1/2 years since it's driven frequently on longer drives. Since it *just* went off warranty I'm hoping the issue isn't more severe. A new battery wouldn't be a ton of money, but it might be wasted money if it's not at fault.

Thanks.
Dim lights and clicking, it does definitely sounds like battery. Also check for corroded connection. Those engines run hot and battery is close. Heat kills battery quickly. Time for lightweight one :)

smark
04-21-2014, 08:33 AM
You have a bad battery. Mine went out last November. The lights on the dash went crazy. No door locks, key stuck in the ignition. Fiat, had a bad bunch of batteries. Mine was replaced free, on my 2012. Got a nice 72 month MoPar battery now.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3752/10729172916_da191ee951_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2826/13366222515_5e59197a61_b.jpg

bryanintowson
04-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Is that Mopar battery bigger than the OE unit? My insulation wrap around my current (OE) battery fits kinda loose compared to what I see in your picture.

smark
04-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Don't remember, what the old battery looked like. It was nice they gave me a new one free. 72 month too. It did leave me stranded. Fiat road side very poor.

Looks funny to see the MoPar logo under the hood of a Fiat.

FTY
04-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Going to drop the Abarth Challenge car today for the same issue.....this should be interesting, 1200 miles...battery D E A D and will not hold a charge.

smark
04-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Tow truck driver jumped it. Head lamps went really bright. He was able to get the gear selector into neutral, and the key out of the ignition. Would not start. Car ran fine that morning.

I wonder, if the OP's battery will have a prorated time on it. Since his car is why out of warranty. Any thing better then nothing.

trevc
04-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Time to put in a Braille :-)

Going to drop the Abarth Challenge car today for the same issue.....this should be interesting, 1200 miles...battery D E A D and will not hold a charge.

bryanintowson
04-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Don't remember, what the old battery looked like. It was nice they gave me a new one free. 72 month too. It did leave me stranded. Fiat road side very poor.

Looks funny to see the MoPar logo under the hood of a Fiat.

Mopar logo, nothing. Have you noticed the old school Chrysler Pentastar on the build label on the underside of the hood?

Now *that* was one that caught my attention. Brave are we who drive Italian cars made by Chrysler in Mexico. :)