PDA

View Full Version : Want a decent sticky tire on the cheap?

opiateESP
04-15-2014, 09:34 PM
So my stock Pirelli's? Toast. I got a message from Yorkman before my car was tuned saying to "expect a tire burner".

He was so right :P

So I want to pick up a new set of rims but can't right now because of a lot of other things on my plate and what I want isn't exactly cheap. So I decided to get some temp tires. Discount Tire in Bellingham WA is just across the border from Vancouver so I headed over there. The Cobalt guys have been raving about the GT Radial UHP1 as a cheap tire that sticks VERY well for the price. I spent $417 (US) after tax on a full set of 205/45/16's. That's balanced, TPMS rebuilt, installed and out the door.

I had a nice long drive back to wear the mold outer layer of a bit and then I decided to push them. I don't think I've fully worn it off yet but DAMN! For the price, these are SO MUCH STICKIER than the stock Pirellis. Pushing into a corner results in more grip than I ever expected for a tire that is in the sub $70 range. HA! No, this is not a Sport Comp 2 or a super sticky Toyo but for the price, very hard to beat. They are an all-season ultra performance tire with an AA traction rating and a 280 wear rating.

Anyone who's looking for a cheapie to get them through the season. Give this a shot. Check out what the Cobalt guys have to say about them if you need to do a bit more reading.

Daddy Vroom
04-15-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm on my 3rd set of tires, with only 26000 miles on my car. So I'm very interested on what the community responds with. I think the next set I'm going to go with are the Federal 595s

opiateESP
04-15-2014, 09:45 PM
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44940

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/wheels-tires-96/gt-radial-uhp1-did-ton-research-but-anyone-have-experience-298775/

Take a look at these. Specifically the Cobalt SS guys. They're considered a mid to high end tire in Australia (?!?!?!)

Edit: Made in Indonesia (as opposed to being a cheap Chinese tire)

charliesheen
04-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Good to know. Thanks!

ksig421
04-15-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm getting general g-max tires 205/45/16 installed this weekend. I decided to go with these over the comp 2 sports because of the tread rating and I need a set of tires that will last longer then the stock pirellis. I'll let you know how they are after they break in.

FTY
04-15-2014, 10:56 PM
I picked up a set of the uhp1's and they are a great tire for $70 each. I dont think you can beat it. No complaints so far. Running 215/40/17 on the ESM wheels.

roy23
04-15-2014, 11:22 PM
6k miles and pirellis are out, for $650 i got "Falken Azenis RT 615K" 205/40/17
Damn do they have grip when warm im very impressed since im trying tires ive never used before, the thread definitly got my attention 100% way better over Pirellis..... In rain they have excellent grip, has anyone else tried them..... Also for the price ive tried "Nitto NeoGen" they also have good grip.....

shagghie
04-15-2014, 11:28 PM
I picked up a set of the uhp1's and they are a great tire for $70 each. I dont think you can beat it. No complaints so far. Running 215/40/17 on the ESM wheels.
What are you doing to avoid rubbing in the rear? I was looking at the same tire, but stretch 205's on the 9" rear. Anyone know if UHP1's stretch? The price is right!

opiateESP
04-15-2014, 11:57 PM
I have to say. I like the way the 205's larger diameter fills out the wheel wells better than the 195's. Damn I need some spacers. :)

Tread view.

FYI. US Website says they're summer tires.

FTY
04-16-2014, 12:28 AM
What are you doing to avoid rubbing in the rear? I was looking at the same tire, but stretch 205's on the 9" rear. Anyone know if UHP1's stretch? The price is right!

The wheels are 17x8 with a 35 offset 215/40/17 UHP1 tire. No rubbing. Slight stretch.

FTY
04-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Damn do they have grip when warm im very impressed since im trying tires ive never used before, the thread definitly got my attention 100% way better over Pirellis..... In rain they have excellent grip, has anyone else tried them..... Also for the price ive tried "Nitto NeoGen" they also have good grip.....

My favorite tire....have them on the Red Abarth. 215/40/17 Love them!!

opiateESP
04-16-2014, 12:44 AM

How much mileage do you have on them?

AudiGuy
04-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Well, since my tires have almost 300 miles of horrible rear toe.. I just ordered tires from discounttire. I went with the Hankook v2 concept 2s. I loved their V12s. I hope these are similar.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&yr=2013&pc=12593&counter=0&ar=40&rd=17&vid=023158&cs=205

zyxelenator
04-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Well, since my tires have almost 300 miles of horrible rear toe.. I just ordered tires from discounttire. I went with the Hankook v2 concept 2s. I loved their V12s. I hope these are similar.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&yr=2013&pc=12593&counter=0&ar=40&rd=17&vid=023158&cs=205
Lets say they are more "'comfy" tire, they have softer sidewalls and I did not like how they acted up on Dragon Tail. I had couple understeer ooops moments and slided sideways couple of times. Had to slow down after that.

AudiGuy
04-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Lets say they are more "'comfy" tire, they have softer sidewalls and I did not like how they acted up on Dragon Tail. I had couple understeer ooops moments and slided sideways couple of times. Had to slow down after that.

Thanks for the input. Im sure they are better than the Pirellis

zyxelenator
04-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the input. Im sure they are better than the Pirellis

In terms of straight line performance in dry and wet they are better. In terms of thread life too. They are quieter and absorb bumps better.
But, my stock tires died quickly in 20k miles because of rear toe. Soon it will be corrected.

AudiGuy
04-16-2014, 11:28 AM
In terms of straight line performance in dry and wet they are better. In terms of thread life too. They are quieter and absorb bumps better.
But, my stock tires died quickly in 20k miles because of rear toe. Soon it will be corrected.

Lol, im surprised you got that much out of them. Mine are coming off, and have less than 3k miles on them. Im gonna sell em for dirt cheap on ebay.

zyxelenator
04-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Lol, im surprised you got that much out of them. Mine are coming off, and have less than 3k miles on them. Im gonna sell em for dirt cheap on ebay.

Well. my car is mostly DD, Those tires had 1 Dragon Tail run, Couple(about 6) burn outs, Long honey moon trip thru most FL shores and back (like 3.3k miles). 2 tires were at indicators at 17k. I rotated them twice, at 7k and 17k. Mine were also 16' P7s not 17" stocks. 17" have very small life span with this toe in crap. Just got a call rom Mopar store, I ordered wrong part#s, so they will get orrect it for the right shim kit. Hope we will see happy long life from tires and possibly less wiggle in the back on slippery roads.
I plan on getting 17" wheels later on with summer tires(when those tires are done, or if they show horrible traction in the winter) and keep 16" for winter set, if winter continues to be brutal like last year.If not, I will keep scratched rim as spare and sell others as spares to community. I just moved last summer to suburbs, and so far I see that they are nt that fast with snow removal here. But it is much better in terms of traffic, crowds, space and nature around, twisty roads and you get much more property for same price.

redred
04-16-2014, 12:50 PM
I love love love my BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2's. I think they are a fantastic tire, and the grip on wet roads is above INSANE!

They are on sale at Tire Rack right now. 205/45 R16's for $340.00

opiateESP
04-16-2014, 12:53 PM
I love love love my BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2's. I think they are a fantastic tire, and the grip on wet roads is above INSANE!

They are on sale at Tire Rack right now. 205/45 R16's for $340.00

Problem is availability in 205/45/16. June.

:(

redred
04-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Problem is availability in 205/45/16. June.

:(

Yeah they are quite popular. I was surprised to see that they also offer a set for the 17" wheels as well. 205/40 R17's for $356.00. Also a great deal for those running the upgraded 17" wheels.

opiateESP
04-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Yeah they are quite popular. I was surprised to see that they also offer a set for the 17" wheels as well. 205/40 R17's for $356.00. Also a great deal for those running the upgraded 17" wheels.

They will be the tire I go with when I upgrade my wheels. Plain and simple. Everything I've read and heard about them has been exceptional. For a summer, street tire... they sound hard to beat.

redred
04-16-2014, 01:11 PM
They will be the tire I go with when I upgrade my wheels. Plain and simple. Everything I've read and heard about them has been exceptional. For a summer, street tire... they sound hard to beat.

And track tire too. I was really thrilled with how well they performed (with a proper alignment as well) on the track last year.

FTY
04-16-2014, 01:57 PM
How much mileage do you have on them?

About 2k so far.

shagghie
04-16-2014, 02:35 PM
And track tire too. I was really thrilled with how well they performed (with a proper alignment as well) on the track last year.

Anyone know if they stretch well? (The BFG's)

dart1.4t
04-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Anyone know if they stretch well? (The BFG's)

if i had to guess i'd say they'll stretch. bfg's tend to run wide at the section width with bulging sidewalls and that seems like it would be a forgiving shape when it comes to rim selection. not sure if this is true of the sport comp 2's though.

ivmill
04-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Just got a call rom Mopar store, I ordered wrong part#s, so they will get correct it for the right shim kit. Hope we will see happy long life from tires and possibly less wiggle in the back on slippery roads.

Do you happen to know which shim kit they suggest or possibly have a link? I've been struggling to find a proper shim kit and this rear toe is killing me.

shagghie
04-18-2014, 11:32 AM
if i had to guess i'd say they'll stretch. bfg's tend to run wide at the section width with bulging sidewalls and that seems like it would be a forgiving shape when it comes to rim selection. not sure if this is true of the sport comp 2's though.

Guessing the sport comp 2's have too firm of a sidewall too...

zyxelenator
04-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Do you happen to know which shim kit they suggest or possibly have a link? I've been struggling to find a proper shim kit and this rear toe is killing me.
Read here
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?15234-Correcting-rear-toe-after-lowering-the-Abarth&highlight=Shims

dart1.4t
04-18-2014, 02:22 PM

i guess you could try a "stance" forum it's really not my thing. i know your goals are more performance oriented than doing things for the sake of asthetics but it would seem like those guys would know how much you could stretch something.

redred
04-18-2014, 03:19 PM

Shaggie I think they would stretch well actually. But I'm no expert on that

shagghie
04-18-2014, 03:45 PM
http://tyrestretch.com/
(http://tyrestretch.com/)
bam

ivmill
04-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Read here
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?15234-Correcting-rear-toe-after-lowering-the-Abarth&highlight=Shims

Bitchin! I don't know how I missed that thread.

crankin
05-02-2014, 10:29 AM
opiate how are these tires holding up? I am in for some new tires in 215/40/17 for summer use only. There aren't too many options that appeal to me. GForce TDW but I am afraid with all the rain we get here I might be better getting an all-season to use as my summer. I was running Michelin As3 on my old Abarth and they were awesome, but they only show a 215/45/17.

opiateESP
05-02-2014, 12:53 PM
opiate how are these tires holding up? I am in for some new tires in 215/40/17 for summer use only. There aren't too many options that appeal to me. GForce TDW but I am afraid with all the rain we get here I might be better getting an all-season to use as my summer. I was running Michelin As3 on my old Abarth and they were awesome, but they only show a 215/45/17.

So far so good. No real discernible tread wear but I've only got about 1000 miles on them. I'll report back after 10000 though.

crankin
05-02-2014, 01:26 PM
So far so good. No real discernible tread wear but I've only got about 1000 miles on them. I'll report back after 10000 though.

Sounds good. Locally I priced those GT and they were $86 each! Cheap Cheap! I could buy three sets for the Michys I had.

shadowshaggy
05-19-2014, 01:19 PM
So my stock Pirelli's? Toast. I got a message from Yorkman before my car was tuned saying to "expect a tire burner".

So I want to pick up a new set of rims but can't right now because of a lot of other things on my plate and what I want isn't exactly cheap. So I decided to get some temp tires. Discount Tire in Bellingham WA is just across the border from Vancouver so I headed over there. The Cobalt guys have been raving about the GT Radial UHP1 as a cheap tire that sticks VERY well for the price. I spent $417 (US) after tax on a full set of 205/45/16's. That's balanced, TPMS rebuilt, installed and out the door.

I had a nice long drive back to wear the mold outer layer of a bit and then I decided to push them. I don't think I've fully worn it off yet but DAMN! For the price, these are SO MUCH STICKIER than the stock Pirellis. Pushing into a corner results in more grip than I ever expected for a tire that is in the sub $70 range. HA! No, this is not a Sport Comp 2 or a super sticky Toyo but for the price, very hard to beat. They are an all-season ultra performance tire with an AA traction rating and a 280 wear rating.

Anyone who's looking for a cheapie to get them through the season. Give this a shot. Check out what the Cobalt guys have to say about them if you need to do a bit more reading.

Thanks opiate, hey Ron these are what I was talking tk you about yesterday ;)

I will look into these, my stock Pirelli's were begging for mercy yesterday; I very politely declined and found more throttle.

shadowshaggy
10-10-2014, 12:35 PM

Umm....guys ATTN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191106194852?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just ordered two sets of these, they have $100 off if you spend $400 or more....so I just picked up 8 of these for $356 shipped.

boostin
10-10-2014, 02:12 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191106194852?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just ordered two sets of these, they have $100 off if you spend $400 or more....so I just picked up 8 of these for $356 shipped.

ah man, too bad im throwing money towards another area of the car or id be all over these

thats a crazy good deal you got there, nice work!!

opiateESP
10-10-2014, 02:41 PM
ah man, too bad im throwing money towards another area of the car or id be all over these

thats a crazy good deal you got there, nice work!!

Talk to Greg. He has my old tires (same as the ones in this thread). The fronts we 65% tread and the rears were 95%. He's going to be putting snows on my old rims.

boostin
10-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Task to Greg. He has my old tires (same as the ones in this thread). The fronts we 65% tread and the rears were 95%. He's going to be putting snows on my old rims.

ahh thats right, ill have to bug him and see what hes doing with them then ;)

Abnormalradio13
10-11-2014, 12:00 PM

I'm running them and everything you said about them is true

shadowshaggy
10-15-2014, 05:48 PM

All right, so they came in today and went ahead and threw two on the front and moved the Falken's I got 3 months ago to the back (2 races and 4k miles-ish) that are already down to 40% maybe less....boo

Not that this has too much to do with tires, but I did notice coming out of the tire shop that it didn't torque steer as much and just let the tires slip without ESC having a seizure. I'll get back to this thread on Sunday/Monday after the race Saturday, there's gonna be some tire murder that day.....gr_grin

opiateESP
10-15-2014, 05:52 PM
All right, so they came in today and went ahead and threw two on the front and moved the Falken's I got 3 months ago to the back (2 races and 4k miles-ish) that are already down to 40% maybe less....boo

Not that this has too much to do with tires, but I did notice coming out of the tire shop that it didn't torque steer as much and just let the tires slip without ESC having a seizure. I'll get back to this thread on Sunday/Monday after the race Saturday, there's gonna be some tire murder that day.....gr_grin

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. Switching to the 17's and being back on Pirellis... lets just say I really miss my on the cheap tires.

shadowshaggy
10-15-2014, 07:10 PM
They offer them in 17" too ;)

opiateESP
10-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Just wondering how the tires have fared for you?

Nunzio67
10-28-2014, 01:31 PM
All-

I just had Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport 205/45R16's to replace my Pirelli Cinturatos. So far, the grip has been excellent on dry and wet roads.
There is no tread warranty. I paid $105 per tire at Firestone! I did a lot of research and they get great reviews, compared to the Michelin Pilot sport AS3 tires.

shadowshaggy
10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Just wondering how the tires have fared for you?

I beat the ever loving hell out of them a week ago coolgleam and they're still on the car? LOL!!!

Well, if the stock Pirelli's are a 1 and Hoosier slicks are a 10 - then these would rate (it was only 72ish) about a 6.5-7.

So yes indeed that much better than the stock tires. Frankly, I paid $44 each w/shipping included and my local sponsor shop lets my mount/balance for free....so there's that gr_grin Today it's raining a little and these seem to do quite well on slick surfaces thus far. If I had it to do all over again....I may have ordered a third set too!

How's that for a review? ;)

These compare to my previous car with Yokohama AVS 230 Sport tires as far as grip and 1/3 the price as well. I'll grab some pics of the wear n tear when we get some daylight, they look really good considering the pounding they received lol.