PDA

View Full Version : Trick to disconnecting oil filter from the cap? (Not removing the cap)

raymondjiii
04-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Hi, 2nd time doing my oil change and for the life of me I cannot remember how I got the old filter separated from the cap. I feel like I am going to damage something by yanking on it. Looking at the new filter it seems that this is all that can be done?

(I have the filter and cap off of the car. I just want to separate the two. Nothing to do with the various tricks on how to take the cap off using the 27mm special socket.) Thanks.

Abarth619
04-06-2014, 04:13 PM
It should just pop out with a little persuasion. Looking at the new filter should give a better idea on how it unsnaps.

raymondjiii
04-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks! I got it finally. It became a two person job :beguiled: On another note, I just purchased some Mann filters for the Fiat 500 and they do not snap in so tightly like a Fram or STP models do for some reason. The Mann filters also do not have a plastic bottom but rather just compressed filter material. They do come with the gasket though. I've always used Mann filters on my Volvo and Saab and they were supposedly the OEM filters for these makes but these seem a little sub-par if you ask me.

The prices on some of these oil filters are insane. I was at Autozone last night and STP brand is $19. These Mann filters were $8. I guess it's good to not increase the landfill space with just having the replaceable element but I do miss the old days of easily sticking an oil filter wrench on and spinning it off.

Ray

Abarth619
04-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks! I got it finally. It became a two person job :beguiled: On another note, I just purchased some Mann filters for the Fiat 500 and they do not snap in so tightly like a Fram or STP models do for some reason. The Mann filters also do not have a plastic bottom but rather just compressed filter material. They do come with the gasket though. I've always used Mann filters on my Volvo and Saab and they were supposedly the OEM filters for these makes but these seem a little sub-par if you ask me.

The prices on some of these oil filters are insane. I was at Autozone last night and STP brand is $19. These Mann filters were $8. I guess it's good to not increase the landfill space with just having the replaceable element but I do miss the old days of easily sticking an oil filter wrench on and spinning it off.

Ray

The OEM filters are only $8.70 at my dealer. I just picked up a few of them.

dart1.4t
04-08-2014, 10:16 PM
The Mann filter has a few more pleats and the media seems thicker. No light passes through. I don't think the caps make it inferior. Its just different, and possibly less costly to make but the Mann does have the most media.

There is a comparison thread. The Wix is about as close to OEM as you will find and some other filters are just wix repackaged. Fram is generally the worst filter in the USA, but I think some of the oversees fram products are made in another factory and may be a high quality filter , but I don't think they make their own cartrage filters, I seem to remember the fram for the fiat being decent.

In the comparison thread it really showed how little difference there is between filters for this engine, so save your money and buy the wix or even the Chinese pronto filter ($3 or so for that one) I even purchased a purflux and a blueprint filter just for comparison (these are common OEM for Japanese cars). The blueprint was made in Japan and its very similar to the six and others. The purflux has convoluted pleats but its a lower pleat count and has less media area than the others. The only filter that has a significant difference from the others is the Mann so save your pennies and buy something cheaper like the oem , wix or even the pronto.