PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this issue?

ladygodiva70
03-27-2014, 07:13 AM
On the way to work yesterday, I stopped to get gas. When I tried to insert the nozzle, the opening to the gas tank was frozen and wouldn't expand. It took me a few tries to jam the nozzle in, but this was a first for me. I was afraid I was going to break it, but I really needed to get to work too!

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. Wondering if buying a gas cap would help.

theporschephile
03-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Please tell me you weren't putting diesel in it

otherwise, no, i havne't heard of that issue yet, but hopefully someone will chime in soon

FiatCares
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
On the way to work yesterday, I stopped to get gas. When I tried to insert the nozzle, the opening to the gas tank was frozen and wouldn't expand. It took me a few tries to jam the nozzle in, but this was a first for me. I was afraid I was going to break it, but I really needed to get to work too!

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. Wondering if buying a gas cap would help.

I have never heard of the filler tube close off freezing shut.. The temperatures must have been very cold for that to even happen. Maybe you are right, maybe the cap is not making a snug fit. Id check with the local studio.

the filler nozzle at the pump for a diesel is larger that the gasoline nozzles so I hope that wasnt the case.

ladygodiva70
03-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Nope. Wasn't diesel. That would've been bad. lol

And it wasn't really colder than most days throughout the winter. It temp was below freezing, but not crazy cold.

The car didn't come with a gas cap. I'm thinking I'll have to purchase one.

ETA: Now that I think of it, I don't think it would accommodate a gas cap. I'll see if it happens again at next fill up.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Nope. Wasn't diesel. That would've been bad. lol

And it wasn't really colder than most days throughout the winter. It temp was below freezing, but not crazy cold.

The car didn't come with a gas cap. I'm thinking I'll have to purchase one.

If the car doesn't have a gas cap it will throw a code and you will get a message on your EVIC. It definitely has to have one. IM surprised they sold it that way.

Tweak
03-27-2014, 08:21 PM
If the car doesn't have a gas cap it will throw a code and you will get a message on your EVIC. It definitely has to have one. IM surprised they sold it that way.

Thought the L uses a capless system as many newer vehicles?

ladygodiva70
03-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Yes it is a capless system.

rustbucket
03-27-2014, 10:58 PM
I'd check with your studio- they might have a solution. Hopefully it was just a one time combination of moisture and temperature that caused your problem. I've had issues a couple of times this (brutal) winter with the filler door on my 500 Sport - it was frozen shut. In both cases we had rain, the temps dropped and the rain turned to snow.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
03-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Sorry my bad I didn't see the L I need to wear my glasses when I am here.

Tweak
03-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Sorry my bad I didn't see the L I need to wear my glasses when I am here.

No worries, I view new posts so I am all over the forum and sometimes I don't realize in which area I am in without checking first. ;)

ladygodiva70
05-18-2014, 08:55 AM
So it's not a freezing issue. I still experience the same problem. Usually it's at Petrocan gas stations. Takes a while but I can usually jam the nozzle in. The studio didn't experience any problem with it, but I don't always have an issue either. Wonder if there are any other Canadians who experience this problem at Petrocan gas stations?? I would think gas stations would have standard sized gas nozzles...