PDA

View Full Version : ECU Dyno tune in Hawaii

Sktbrd
03-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Let me introduce myself, my name is Hank Coburn and am the president of the Mini Club of Hawaii. We are setting up a dyno session for the Minis and what most don't know, the Fiat Abarth can be done with rather remarkable results. The tuner from California is coming over and is the premier tuner for the Mini's, Porsches and Abarth. If your interested please contact me via email and I'll be happy to pass on any info I have. Coburnracing1@gmail.com. Aloha.

Tweak
03-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your dyno session meetup.

dylansi
03-27-2014, 03:21 AM
I replied to your pm. It sounds interesting but would like more details. I know Jan was working on a plug in...is that what this is for. What shop for the dyno? Rad Motorsports?

Abarth Five O
03-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Like Dylansi, I would be interested in finding out more about this tune.

Abarth Five O
03-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Tweak, this should be moved to the Abarth performance section.

dylansi
03-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Sktbrd are you currently in Hawaii? If so what do you drive? Gary (Abarth Five O) and myself have been looking for other Abarth drivers around the island.

dylansi
03-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Any info?

dylansi
04-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I don't know how many views this will get in this thread, and if need be I will start another if Jan wants me to.

Last Friday I met up with Gary (Abarth Five-O), Hank (mini driver) and Jan (tuner) at Rad Motorsports here in Hawaii. Long story short we immediate moved onto to business of getting my car onto the dyno. Made a base run, then moved onto trying some tunes. After roughly 4 dyno pulls and tunes, it was time to take her off the dyno and see how she was on the street. All I can say is WOW, 1st gear is worthless (wheel spin out the a$$), 2nd gear grabs some traction but starts to spin around 3k-4k, 3rd gear full traction unless going around a corner. 5th gear I can see a spike in boost to 27PSI in sport and 22PSI in normal...using a real boost gauge.

This is just a raw tune that Jan only had about 2 hrs to play with. His upcoming handheld and tunes are going to be crazy

More to follow have to go to a meeting right now.

Abarth Five O
04-07-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't know how many views this will get in this thread, and if need be I will start another if Jan wants me to.

Last Friday I met up with Gary (Abarth Five-O), Hank (mini driver) and Jan (tuner) at Rad Motorsports here in Hawaii. Long story short we immediate moved onto to business of getting my car onto the dyno. Made a base run, then moved onto trying some tunes. After roughly 4 dyno pulls and tunes, it was time to take her off the dyno and see how she was on the street. All I can say is WOW, 1st gear is worthless (wheel spin out the a$$), 2nd gear grabs some traction but starts to spin around 3k-4k, 3rd gear full traction unless going around a corner. 5th gear I can see a spike in boost to 27PSI in sport and 22PSI in normal...using a real boost gauge.

This is just a raw tune that Jan only had about 2 hrs to play with. His upcoming handheld and tunes are going to be crazy

More to follow have to go to a meeting right now.

Ditto Dylansi, I was there to witness his Jan tune and even drive Dylansi's car. All I kept saying was "Wow". It pulls so f*ing hard. It's only going to get better as Jan fine tunes his maps. I was also very impressed with Jan's background and race experience. Thanks Hank, Jan, and Dylansi for a fun filled day at the dyno! beerchug

dylansi
04-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Definitely a good time to see my car and the power it was producing then the power it is now after some tuning. These cars have so much more power on tap just waiting to be released.

No problem Gary, always good times hanging out, glad you got a chance to feel it for yourself and give your opinion based off of your set-up. Looking forward to a final product.

Thanks to Hank for setting up the meet!

Thanks Jan for providing his knowledge of tuning and extracting some much needed torque. I will be calling you tomorrow probably to see what is next...

opiateESP
04-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Definitely a good time to see my car and the power it was producing then the power it is now after some tuning. These cars have so much more power on tap just waiting to be released.

No problem Gary, always good times hanging out, glad you got a chance to feel it for yourself and give your opinion based off of your set-up. Looking forward to a final product.

Thanks to Hank for setting up the meet!

Thanks Jan for providing his knowledge of tuning and extracting some much needed torque. I will be calling you tomorrow probably to see what is next...

Very cool! How much power did it make on the dyno? What other mods do you have?

dylansi
04-07-2014, 10:28 PM
175 hp and 215 lb/ft torque was the final, did see higher torque and HP on different runs. ATM HCI and full exhaust. Considering it was at least 85 degrees outside and 95 inside, humidity in the 75-90% range and fans that would have me sweating at night, they are good. But once I am out on the road it feels faster than that.

All done in 3rd gear

Abarth Five O
04-07-2014, 11:04 PM
175 hp and 215 lb/ft torque was the final, did see higher torque and HP on different runs. ATM HCI and full exhaust. Considering it was at least 85 degrees outside and 95 inside, humidity in the 75-90% range and fans that would have me sweating at night, they are good. But once I am out on the road it feels faster than that.

All done in 3rd gear

Those numbers are at the wheels. At the crank it equates to approx.: 196 hp/ 241 torque. :thumbsup:

opiateESP
04-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Right on!

What kind of dyno and what was the base pull before the tune?

trevc
04-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Nice numbers! Any clutch issues with that torque?

opiateESP
04-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Nice numbers! Any clutch issues with that torque?

That's why I'm curious about the base line pull. The clutches slip around 240 wheel torque but he's only currently set at 215 wheel torque (unless the dyno's a heart breaker).

Jan
04-08-2014, 04:24 PM
nice meeting everyone..........heading back to Cali today...........weeping follows.........lol

I just need a car locally to me to finish the tune. Will take a couple of days to get it done
initially good but once the top end matches the bottom end I'll be a happy camper.

thanks again , had a great time!

dylansi
04-08-2014, 04:31 PM
183 torque base pull on Dyno Jet. Like I said it was hot and very humid that day with inadequate fans, intake temp was reading 115 degrees the whole time. Normally it reads in the mid to low 90s during that time of day while cruising the highway. I was also on "Post" gas before I got off the dyno, then filled her up with Chevron.

opiateESP
04-08-2014, 04:33 PM
183 torque base pull on Dyno Jet. Like I said it was hot and very humid that day with inadequate fans, intake temp was reading 115 degrees the whole time. Normally it reads in the mid to low 90s during that time of day while cruising the highway. I was also on "Post" gas before I got off the dyno, then filled her up with Chevron.

Gotcha. So you gained 32 ft/lbs. what about hp?

Edit: Holy hot Batman!

Abarth Five O
04-08-2014, 05:13 PM
nice meeting everyone..........heading back to Cali today...........weeping follows.........lol

I just need a car locally to me to finish the tune. Will take a couple of days to get it done
initially good but once the top end matches the bottom end I'll be a happy camper.

thanks again , had a great time!

Same here Jan! Have a safe trip back to Cali! I'm sure someone in So Cal will step up to the plate soon to help you finish your tune because it's going to be one hell of a tune once it's finished.

Look forward to seeing you again soon in Paradise! xyxwave