PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tip material?

Infinite_Day
03-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Does anybody know if the exhaust tips are supposed to be stainless or not? I'm starting to get some surface rust already on the inside edge of the outer roll of the tip. I don't know if that makes any sense or not but I can take a photo if that would help. Seems like 2,500 miles and less than two months of owning it is pretty quick for the tips to be rusting. I'm 100% certain that the alignment is off now too - thing pulls to the right with the wheel held straight. I'm going to try to get the dealer to remedy this - hopefully they will do it under warranty since I brought it up when it was in at 1,000 mi and the tech supposedly drove it and said he couldn't tell. Some of these little things are slowly disenchanting me with my Abarth :confusion: - the tires also seem like they're starting to make noise which I'm taking as being caused by the alignment issue....

Fiat500USA
03-23-2014, 08:59 AM
My car is a 2012 , I live where the dump tons of salt and my tips are fine. Are you sure it's rust? Maybe try cleaning them and see if it wipes off. Let us know.

Infinite_Day
03-23-2014, 09:09 AM
I used a little polishing compound and got some of it to come off but not all because it's difficult to get the fingers there to put pressure. 99% it's rust.

Abarth619
03-23-2014, 09:26 AM
I used a little polishing compound and got some of it to come off but not all because it's difficult to get the fingers there to put pressure. 99% it's rust. I had some rust too. I did use some polishing compound as previously mentioned and it hasn't returned.......yet. I'm probably going to upgrade the exhaust sometime in the future so I'm not too worried about it. It is crazy that tips rust so quickly though. You'd figure they would have used a higher grade of stainless.

AudiGuy
03-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Surface rust shouldn't be a problem. Just don't let it go untreated or it could go through the surface and your SOL.

crankin
03-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Even stainless corodes if not taken car of, but I believe the OEM tips are chromed.

bryanintowson
03-23-2014, 01:37 PM
I live in the salt/rust belt and I have not seen any rust or corrosion on my exhaust tip. 32,000 miles on a 2012 Lounge.