PDA

View Full Version : Fiat Recalls 2014 500L Models for Faulty Transmission Software

Providence
03-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I posted on forum asking about the faulty transmission issue because I was buying a used 2014 500L. I completed deal Friday. Just saw this recall notice today. I gather this is one of the issues with buying a brand new model, there are certain things they don't figure out before the car is on the road. http://www.automotive.com/news/1403-fiat-recalls-2014-500l-models-for-faulty-transmission-software/

Trystane
03-11-2014, 04:49 PM
May want to fix your link, Providence. Doesn't seem to be a complete URL :)

Here's the full link for those curious - http://www.automotive.com/news/1403-fiat-recalls-2014-500l-models-for-faulty-transmission-software/

Tweak
03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
May want to fix your link, Providence. Doesn't seem to be a complete URL :)

Here's the full link for those curious - http://www.automotive.com/news/1403-fiat-recalls-2014-500l-models-for-faulty-transmission-software/

Corrected the link, thank you Trystane.

FERNIEW
03-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the update, my 500L is back on service after MIL and rough idling reapperar again the next day from service which they replace the shifter.

brandibug6
04-08-2014, 04:51 PM
I received the recall notice in the mail. :sad:

GoneGrl
04-21-2014, 02:35 PM
The upgrade did not resolve my tranny issues (might have made it worse). I can only speak for my experience but it seems that software is only part of the problem. The patch worked for a few days then it eventually went back to it's old messy behavior. Fiat has a big problem on their hands if this isn't resolved properly.

GoneGrl
04-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Took my car back in today and they mentioned that the software had not been full installed. I'm gonna see how well this goes. I have little faith it will work tho.

Tweak
04-21-2014, 10:10 PM
The upgrade did not resolve my tranny issues (might have made it worse). I can only speak for my experience but it seems that software is only part of the problem. The patch worked for a few days then it eventually went back to it's old messy behavior. Fiat has a big problem on their hands if this isn't resolved properly.

Took my car back in today and they mentioned that the software had not been full installed. I'm gonna see how well this goes. I have little faith it will work tho.

Welcome to the forum.

Hope the get your issues resolved soon!

FiatCares
04-22-2014, 05:20 PM

I have submitted a request to the 500L engineers regarding this transmission software update.. Ill post my findings.. stay tuned.

AlexB66
04-23-2014, 09:26 PM
I had our 500L updated today and well lets say it not fixed. In fact its lot worse than before... If get stuck between 2 -3 at 13 mph and then revs to 5000 rpm
God job I purchase a 500 POP with a standard transition of the lot today while the 500L was being fixed.
At least I have two Fiats.. :-)

evbruno
04-24-2014, 12:00 AM
I have submitted a request to the 500L engineers regarding this transmission software update.. Ill post my findings.. stay tuned.
From what I have been reading on the forums, the fact I had to take my 500L back a 2nd time to get all the updates correctly install, comments that the studio made to me the "updates not fully applying" it would seem that there is possible process problem.
I have been developing software for over 30 years, and when applying multiple updates the order can be very important. This may not be clear to the tech's at the studio.
You are not updating a single "system" but multiple systems. If the update for system B does things based on the state of system A. Updating B then A will cause B not to be correct since A is no longer in the same state that B detected it was doing it's update. Then update for B would need to redone so can detect A and update based on the "correct" state of A.

I get the impression that when a software update "does not take" that the tech's may not view this as an "issue" and just mark the work completed, again this is just my impression.
If this is happening then it is a training/documentation issue.

FiatCares
04-24-2014, 04:28 PM

GoneGrl:

I am currently in communication with some of the 500L engineers. They are wondering if you are experienceing a problem from the Safety Recall P06 which deals witht he communication loss of the shifter module to the trans axle, or if it solely based on the flash that was performed at your dealer. I have quality control looking into this.. would you mind sending me a PM with your VIN, so I may look at your vehicle a bit closer>

FiatCares
04-24-2014, 04:29 PM
I had our 500L updated today and well lets say it not fixed. In fact its lot worse than before... If get stuck between 2 -3 at 13 mph and then revs to 5000 rpm
God job I purchase a 500 POP with a standard transition of the lot today while the 500L was being fixed.
At least I have two Fiats.. :-)

I am currently in communication with some of the 500L engineers. They are wondering if you are experienceing a problem from the Safety Recall P06 which deals with the communication loss of the shifter module to the trans axle, or if it solely based on the flash that was performed at your dealer. I have quality control looking into this.. would you mind sending me a PM with your VIN, so I may look at your vehicle a bit closer?

OneMomSaysItAll
04-30-2014, 10:18 PM
The recall fix worked long enough for me to drive the hour home from the Studio. First drive this morning, back to it's same old, surging, lurching, stuttering, revving, twitchy ride. I'm so frustrated. I really just want to give the car back. It's 2 hours out of my day, just to drive back and forth to the Studio, coupled with the hours of time I spend sitting there waiting in a lonely, cold, waiting room with 4 uncomfy chairs and old magazines. No WiFi, can't even attempt to work while I'm there. They offered a loaner at their "special discounted rental rate". It feels like a ghost town when I get there. Never see a tech or any work being done. I can tell the software was installed, there are new displays and the drive display shows D1, D2, D3, etc. If I hear "It's just how these transmissions are." one more time! I'm getting nowhere with FIAT help, nowhere with Chrysler customer service. My Studio says they don't know what else to do and I should "Wait and hopefully there will be another software update." I've owned the car since January 4th and have only 2800 miles on it (most driving the 96 mile round trips to the Studio) because it is awful to drive with the transmission problems. Each month I make that payment and just cringe. I've already looked in to trading it in and have been laughed at. They wouldn't even lowball a trade-in price, not with this recall going on. What a mess, sigh-----

Tweak
04-30-2014, 10:45 PM
The recall fix worked long enough for me to drive the hour home from the Studio. First drive this morning, back to it's same old, surging, lurching, stuttering, revving, twitchy ride. I'm so frustrated. I really just want to give the car back. It's 2 hours out of my day, just to drive back and forth to the Studio, coupled with the hours of time I spend sitting there waiting in a lonely, cold, waiting room with 4 uncomfy chairs and old magazines. No WiFi, can't even attempt to work while I'm there. They offered a loaner at their "special discounted rental rate". It feels like a ghost town when I get there. Never see a tech or any work being done. I can tell the software was installed, there are new displays and the drive display shows D1, D2, D3, etc. If I hear "It's just how these transmissions are." one more time! I'm getting nowhere with FIAT help, nowhere with Chrysler customer service. My Studio says they don't know what else to do and I should "Wait and hopefully there will be another software update." I've owned the car since January 4th and have only 2800 miles on it (most driving the 96 mile round trips to the Studio) because it is awful to drive with the transmission problems. Each month I make that payment and just cringe. I've already looked in to trading it in and have been laughed at. They wouldn't even lowball a trade-in price, not with this recall going on. What a mess, sigh-----

Sorry to hear of the problems, I do hope they eventually can get this right for you. Sounds like a terrible dealership/studio in the middle of nowhere for sure. :(