PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change?

BlackhawksFan
03-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Hey everyone!

I just got my 2013 Abarth 500c 2 weeks ago and so far have managed to put about 600km on it. My question came up however when browsing the maintenance schedule: Oil change intervals should not exceed 1 year. May car has a build date of 03/13. So a year ago. With factory oil. Is this something I should even bother with changing? or should I wait until about 3000km to get the first one done? (I know that is well under the recommended km, but I like to change the oil after a good break in)

Thanks!

millers500x
03-11-2014, 11:16 AM
In my line of work I would recommend changing the oil, even though the car hasn't traveled very far the oil has still been breaking down for a year.

trevc
03-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I changed mine at 300 miles just so I knew what was in there. Not expensive for peace of mind.

BecauseRacecar
03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Hey everyone!

I just got my 2013 Abarth 500c 2 weeks ago and so far have managed to put about 600km on it. My question came up however when browsing the maintenance schedule: Oil change intervals should not exceed 1 year. May car has a build date of 03/13. So a year ago.[...]

I had the same concern. MY car sat on the lot for a year as well.

They insisted to wait 6000 miles... after talking to my dad (car whiz), I came back at 1000 miles and firmly/politely requested that the oil be changed.

I had to pay for it but the peace of mind was by far worth it.

I now will be changing it every 4-5k, which for me is about every 2-3 months.

BlackhawksFan
03-11-2014, 12:51 PM
I had the same concern. MY car sat on the lot for a year as well.

They insisted to wait 6000 miles... after talking to my dad (car whiz), I came back at 1000 miles and firmly/politely requested that the oil be changed.

I had to pay for it but the peace of mind was by far worth it.

I now will be changing it every 4-5k, which for me is about every 2-3 months.

I've got a pretty good relationship with my studio. I think I'll be talking to them about this later today when I pick up my Cherokee from the shop (they are associated with the CDJR dealer next door).