PDA

View Full Version : 215/40/17 tires

theporschephile
03-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Sorry if this has been covered, I didn't see it in a quick search. I just got 215/40 direzza ZIIs on my car, and now whenever I turn right I hear some grinding. I assume it's rubbing, and it sounds like it's coming from the rear left. When I looked back there, it looks like there is a piece of plastic that could be rubbing. The weird thing though is on the right side it looks like that same piece is a good inch or more away from the tire. Is that expected? I'm thinking I should just remove the fender liner, but don't really want to. Thinking maybe it'll just rub off and I'll be fine. My main question is is it normal for one side to rub, but not the other? Thanks.

trevc
03-06-2014, 03:36 PM
When I had 215's on my car both fronts would rub the rear of the front fender liners when turning. I left it and they generated their own clearance after a short while. :peaceful: It should be the same amount both sides. If not, something is wrong either with the liners or your front geometry.

theporschephile
03-06-2014, 03:57 PM
i only checked the rears (sounded like it was coming from back there. It was the rears where it was slightly different right to left. Right side has much more clearance (about an inch or more) and the left side is just a few mm, so as soon as i turn right, that left wheel drags in and starts rubbing

rnddude
03-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Are you lowered? there is a protrusion in the rear liners that can contact bigger tires when lowered and turning, it will "self-clearance" after a while, but the protrusion is there to cover a bit of body seam, which if THAT eventually comes in contact with the tire....not so good. When you say there is different rear clearance between Left & Right, do you mean vertical clearance or horizontal clearance?

theporschephile
03-06-2014, 04:49 PM
not lowered (yet), waiting on the bilsteins to be back in stock.

horizontal clearance

Abarth619
03-06-2014, 04:52 PM
This is what I did when I had some rubbing when I upsized the tires on my FJ Cruiser. I dusted a little chalk dust inside the wheel well with a brush and go for a short ride and make it rub. Where it is rubbing will be very apparent due to the lack of dust around the area.

trevc
03-06-2014, 07:04 PM
I found in the rears one of the brake line brackets was getting close so just hand to bend it inwards slightly. I didn't have any other issues. I know a few people have found their rear axle is off center slightly.

i only checked the rears (sounded like it was coming from back there. It was the rears where it was slightly different right to left. Right side has much more clearance (about an inch or more) and the left side is just a few mm, so as soon as i turn right, that left wheel drags in and starts rubbing

jguerdat
03-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Guess I'm lucky. No rubbing with my ZIIs on stock suspension...

abarth&911
03-07-2014, 09:51 AM
I got the ZII also, my car is lowered and the only time I hear some rubbing and it’s not every time is when I’m in full lock and usually backing up in the driveway or in a parking spot. I did an Autocross last Saturday and I didn’t heard any rubbing. I think its dependent of the inner liner installation.

rnddude
03-07-2014, 10:54 AM
not lowered (yet), waiting on the bilsteins to be back in stock.

horizontal clearance
I would suggest getting it to a good alignment shop. There have been cases of bad rear axle assys that have been replaced under warranty.

theporschephile
03-07-2014, 08:24 PM
ok, cool, i'll call the studio tmw and see what they say. Thanks everyone!

shagghie
03-07-2014, 08:31 PM
just a quick note, i ran 215/40/17 Z2's on 17" OZ (same as stock offset), and was doing OK lowered on Neu-F Springs and Konis until the last 3 races of the season where I rolled the fender underneath on the right front 4 separate times and had to manually pull it back out. Under extreme loads you can get enough deflection and chassis flex that the tire will hit the top/middle of the fender and then suck it under neath. That was also after I had the fenders rolled about 5mm, too.
For street, I've never had a problem though. I'm on 8.5" front wheels now and have been OK on the same suspension, but running stretched 205 rubber instead of 215 for a slightly smaller tread profile width.

Whatever you do, you will rub the inner fender liner like others have said, but I have yet to see anything metal threaten the inside of the tire and I have yet to find any evidence on the inside of my Z2's either, so that's good.

The extra STOPPING power is going to surprise you, and if you are tuned, you'll also notice your car will leave the line a hell of a lot faster now... especially the Z2's and the longitudinal grip is awesome!

theporschephile
03-07-2014, 08:33 PM
my MM ECU is off right now waiting to see if my CEL comes back on. Today was the first time I really got to drive them on the highway and everything. Was surprised to feel that they seemed more "floaty" and it also feels like I may have lost some turn-in with the larger tires. Otherwise I'm really enjoying them so far

shagghie
03-07-2014, 09:05 PM
my MM ECU is off right now waiting to see if my CEL comes back on. Today was the first time I really got to drive them on the highway and everything. Was surprised to feel that they seemed more "floaty" and it also feels like I may have lost some turn-in with the larger tires. Otherwise I'm really enjoying them so far

They will feel floaty for about a week.... then watch what happens.... there is a layer that once it wears off, look out.... My first time out on them was for auto-x, and man i was all over the place... like oil under the tires. But once you break them in, it's just incredible. If I ordered Z2's again, i would order them pre-shaved for sure.

Just wait!