PDA

View Full Version : Front axle issue

abiaresi
03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm experiencing an unpleasant condition with my 500L Trekking
during a sharp acceleration, on a straight road, mainly in 1st gear, the front axle becomes veeery light, the steering wheel as well, the ESC light turns on and I need to be careful not to loose control of the car.
Is the car too powerful or is there something wrong with mine ?
Anyone else ?
Thanks

P.S. road is dry and clean (as it can be clean here in the North-East)
I'm wearing winter tries since the day I bought it therefore cannot tell if it is tires related.

zyxelenator
03-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Have you ever had front wheel drive cars before? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering
Better tires should mostly fix it.

trevc
03-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Is it April 1 already?

abiaresi
03-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Have you ever had front wheel drive cars before? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering
Better tires should mostly fix it.
Thanks zyxelenator, but unfortunately I only drove front wheel drive for the last 30 years, all sort of cars, but never experienced such an unpleasant feeling.

abiaresi
03-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Is it April 1 already?

I'm afraid it is not

Fiat500USA
03-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Let's be nice:)

shadowshaggy
03-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks zyxelenator, but unfortunately I only drove front wheel drive for the last 30 years, all sort of cars, but never experienced such an unpleasant feeling.

New question, have you driven a Turbo FWD car recently? These things weigh practically nothing, and tend to get a little carried away when you stick the throttle in first or second gear. What you're experiencing isn't the front end getting light, it's the weight transfer because of too much spring movement. Get a stiffer suspension and that will all but go away.

trevc
03-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Sorry :dispirited:

Let's be nice:)

opiateESP
03-05-2014, 04:04 PM
You're in the north east so it is COLD!!! :D Cold pavement is harder to get traction on. That 500L is a relatively heavy (3200lbs) but even then, lots of torque coming on early can mean it takes a few moments to hook up. Give it less throttle from the get go on cold days.

shadowshaggy
03-05-2014, 04:43 PM
^so says the guy with a tuned to the hilt 500T :thumbsup: less throttle from you, really? yelrotflmao-vi

However, I said the same thing in way more words :)

rnddude
03-05-2014, 05:40 PM
I suspect it is mostly related to your use of snow tires and cold pavement. The ESC light coming on means there is wheel spin, not surprising due to my first sentence. Shadowshaggys suggestion about stiffer springs has some validity, especially in the rear.

shadowshaggy
03-05-2014, 05:45 PM
It's about 1/2 weight transfer and the other half is not enough traction.

abiaresi
03-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all your contributions.
I never expected to say this but, I'm almost missing cutting the grass.
That means I'm looking forward to get rid of all the snow and have my regular tires back.

To answer one of the questions: I drove many different cars, all front wheel with only one exception, my very first "original" Fiat 500, but none of them had turbo engine.

You are telling me that this is absolutely normal and I'm glad to hear. I'll try to behave and give it less throttle but I cannot promise.
As soon as the good Lord will decide that is time for some Spring weather I'll let you know what the feeling is with regular tires.
And I'll keep in mind the suggestion for stiffer suspension.
Thanks

opiateESP
03-05-2014, 07:41 PM
^so says the guy with a tuned to the hilt 500T :thumbsup: less throttle from you, really? yelrotflmao-vi

However, I said the same thing in way more words :)

:D You should see my tires!!!! I really need new rubber :P

shadowshaggy
03-05-2014, 07:48 PM
:D You should see my tires!!!! I really need new rubber :P

gotta watch out burning rubber, end up with things you didn't intend on getting ;)

abiaresi: Nice to see you "being cautious" with you're 500L. Manual transmission correct? The torque these engines make down low will mess with you.