PDA

View Full Version : 500L Dead Battery

gtleo106
03-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone. Just joined the forum. Not sure if there is a dedicated 500L forum so posting here. Purchased 500L in July 2013. Vehicle has 2600 miles on it. Battery has died twice. First time vehicle sat for about three weeks and all electronics were dead. Couldn't even open doors with remote. Absolutely no response from car. Took car to Fiat service and they found nothing wrong and just charged battery. Second time vehicle sat for only five days. Electronics came on and remote opens doors, but just a click-click-click when attempt to start. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks for your help.

Jester49
03-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone. Just joined the forum. Not sure if there is a dedicated 500L forum so posting here. Purchased 500L in July 2013. Vehicle has 2600 miles on it. Battery has died twice. First time vehicle sat for about three weeks and all electronics were dead. Couldn't even open doors with remote. Absolutely no response from car. Took car to Fiat service and they found nothing wrong and just charged battery. Second time vehicle sat for only five days. Electronics came on and remote opens doors, but just a click-click-click when attempt to start. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks for your help.

There was some else on this form that had a similar issue and I think it turned out to be the battery was at fault but that said five days without running the car will almost discharge a good battery, the electronics in the car are always drawing some current. See video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__DqK90IIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__DqK90IIc

The mechanics at studio can also check to see what percentage of life is left in the battery. Remember the car sat at studio lot for awhile without being driven too, not good for a battery..

Tweak
03-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I have moved this to the Issues and Concerns area of the forum for the 500L.

I recall someone stating something in relation to not having locked their doors and a battery issue but sadly I do not recall any specifics beyond someone replying they'll be sure to always lock their doors going forward. This may have no relevance to your problem.

gtleo106
03-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks for getting my issue to the right forum. I ALWAYS lock my doors so can't imagine that is the problem.

Tweak
03-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks for getting my issue to the right forum. I ALWAYS lock my doors so can't imagine that is the problem.

Happy to help, as for the lock portion I figured it was a long shot. Glad to see more NC people on the forum. :cool:

markinmad
06-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Went to drive my L last night and I've experienced this too. The battery is dead as a doornail. Trying to decide how to treat this since I think it was also the weak-sauce battery that kept the car from starting for about 4 days this past winter.

Sipde
06-06-2014, 10:04 AM
My car sat for a week while I was out of town. When I came back it was dead. The dealer tells me this is "Normal" There is so much parasitic draw in the L that if you
don't run it for a week it will go dead. I don't think that's acceptable, but I can't seem to get them to see it.

chily3
06-06-2014, 11:29 AM
First off we are in Sacramento. The Trekking has been sitting for 6 days and I went out to see if it had any battery issues. It started right up with no problem. Of course it has been in 80-90's here.

Onthego
08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Same problem. Brand new car. First time car sat for 4 weeks. Roadside Assistance jump started it, but when I drove it over 30 transmission would not go into gear. Service ran it through all tests and could find nothing. Recharged battery. A few days later, with no time lag between starts, it was dead again. This time service put in a new Fiat battery. Ran great for 7 months. Left "locked" in the garage for 3 weeks. (I mention "locked" because someone in the forum suggested leaving it sit "unlocked" could drain the battery.) Was not able to unlock door with remote, but did with key. Battery dead. Fix this time was to replace Fiat installed battery with Mopar battery. Also suggested if I leave it for several days unattended in the future, to disconnect negative battery cable. However, this can put the battery into sleep mode, so when reconnecting for use, put key in ignition and turn on. Pump foot rapidly on gas pedal for a few seconds, and while continuing to pump the pedal, crank the key until vehicle starts. Do not turn off...let it run awhile and drive around for 10-20 minutes to be sure it is running properly.

Hope the Mopar battery works better and the disconnecting works next time I am out of town. Can't put up with this forever. Otherwise love the car.

Tweak
08-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Sounding more and more like a trickle charge/battery tender solution is needed for L owners.

chily3
09-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Well update, seems our trekking needed a new battery yesterday - Wife went out to go to work tried to start the car and got clicking. So I put our charger on it for about an hour started up and took to dealer, yep the replaced the battery as it was bad. Car is one year old this month.

FiatCACares
09-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Well update, seems our trekking needed a new battery yesterday - Wife went out to go to work tried to start the car and got clicking. So I put our charger on it for about an hour started up and took to dealer, yep the replaced the battery as it was bad. Car is one year old this month.

chily3,

I'm sorry to hear about your battery concern. It seems as though you've experienced a defective battery and I'm glad your warranty has taken care of the cost. I suggest keeping an eye on it and be sure to follow-up with your Service Manager if you have any technical questions surrounding battery use.

Gee
10-14-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm having battery issues, as well with my 500L Lounge. Twice now, the car has been dead after sitting for a week. Both times, the Studio has said there's no problem with the battery or charging system. Yet, clearly, there is. I've had the car 4 months and put just 1,350 miles on it.

I now have a Mopar Case Manager and the car is spending the week at the Studio, in the hopes they can replicate the issue. It's so frustrating.

Sipde
10-14-2014, 10:28 AM
I posted the same thing back in May, and I was told that there is no problem also. There is a problem for sure and I can't seem to get them to admit it. Frustrating to say the least.
There was a suggestion that I should "try another studio", but that doesn't seem like a good solution. I bought the car from my local dealer and they should be able to address the issue.

Gee
10-14-2014, 01:50 PM
I'll post updates, as I have them. I'm hoping that together we might get to the bottom of this.

EricB
12-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Hello Everyone, you are not alone.
Brand new 500l bought march2014. Battery dead in april after car was left 1week without use. Battery dead again in may.
Yesterday, got the car towed again for dead battery.
Previous 500 did not have such issue.
Today they said i had a bad alternator and would change it but the dealer did confirm they need to regularly jump their yard's car because of high drain current.

I won't put in a larger battery, it won't fix the issue and the car is not even 6months. Too many dead batteries in the fiat blogs to be defective batteries... 1defective cell...blablabla.

Be aware, once you battery has been dead once... It will no longer perform as new. When batteries sulfate, vibration by normal drive shakes the sulfate at the bottom of the battery and capacity gets worse... So if dealer does not replace you battery, it will just get worse. Remember , their faulty design kills your battery slowly.

Can someone show me a link to fuse panel details ? I can certainly isolate which fuse circuit drains too much. Would also help if i knew what this car "designed standby current" was supposed to be. I can easily map current drawn for each circuit when <15 minutes after turning off and >20 minutes ( 15-16minutes to sleep) seems pretty standard accross many brands for current draw pattern change.

EricB

EricB
12-03-2014, 11:45 PM
The problem exist as i have read it in many threads...
I am electrical engineerlooking for numbers to post here and give you guys the right ammunitions to get it fixed.

What is the car drain current when off ? What about > 20 minutes after turning it off ? ( door locked/unlocked) so 4 measur,ents are needed.
Once you have those numbers and share it here, calling customer support and sharing this is THE information they need to acknoledge the problem.
Most cars seems to run <20-40mA after 20minutes. Anything over this will reduce subtancially the amount of time it can stay in the parking lot without use.

Be carefull not to mix this issue with people driving many short distances. Battery does not have time to recharge between use. I have not been able to find a single car user manual requiring minimum drive distance for recharge OR maxmimum day car should be left unattended BUT this is clearly unaceptable.

I work for an automotive omponents supplier to the car industry and the only way to get things fixed is when a problem is well documented because many dealers mecanics ( along with the dealer's salesman) don't give a damn once the car it out the yard... Warranty will get fiat to pay for the replacement until warranty is over and YOU start paying.

Any current draw information you can get from your respective eperience ( or measure yourself) will help this group

Eric

minibrings
12-06-2014, 12:15 AM
My car sat for a week while I was out of town. When I came back it was dead. The dealer tells me this is "Normal" There is so much parasitic draw in the L that if you
don't run it for a week it will go dead. I don't think that's acceptable, but I can't seem to get them to see it.

I called Fiat Customer Care. They said if car sits fir over 21 days disconnect battery.
My car sat a week and its dead.
Open a case with Fiat.. Guy was very helpful
I will take to studio tomorrow

NGEN
12-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Had this happen when the L sat for two weeks. Studio said everything was fine. I tend to agree that there is a common draw somewhere that is draining the battery.

SW Desert Dweller
12-06-2014, 06:08 PM
We were gone for 7 days and returned to a completely dead battery. This is the second time it has happened since I purchased the car in July. Love the Fiat 500L, but this is super-annoying and discouraging.

Dealer replaced the battery this time. I lost a day of my life waiting for the service department to make that decision...

minibrings
12-07-2014, 01:33 PM
My studio wants me to leave car, even though i told them its happened before.
Its inconvenient fir me as a trip to the dealer involves over 100 miles round trip.
I was looking at a 500x, but not anymore. Never again will i buy a car where the closest studio is far away.

Sipde
12-08-2014, 11:16 AM
From what I hear it looks like original equipment batteries coming from Hungary are not the greatest quality. Since mine has been replaced I haven't had any issues with the strange messages (excessive radiator coolant temp), and the radio stopped rebooting every time I start the car.

Michael S Carbone
03-14-2015, 08:24 AM
hi We too had the battery issue. I had taken it to the dealership they could not find anything wrong. however there was an update to the software for the DC power control system. the next day car will not start dead battery. the outside temp was 9. When I came home from work that day the temp was 20. I got the car to start. So in reading the threads here someone had said try locking the car. so for fun I gave that a try. it was a night, and when I did this it like turning off a light switch. the cabin lights in the did not dim down just off. Hmmm. next morning it was -10. at 5am and to my surprise it startd right up. So the rest of the winter we have been doing that and we have not had any problems. who knew?

500Lfyrman
03-17-2015, 09:25 PM
It' been 8 months and 12,000 miles of no problem ownership........ the battery finally died yesterday morning. Drove it to the delearship, battery replaced, updates completed, quick espresso, back on the road 1 hour.

JustB
03-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Just had my battery die at noon on Saturday. No nearby studio has a service center open until Monday morning to check it out/fix under warranty. :(

Fiat500USA
03-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Just had my battery die at noon on Saturday. No nearby studio has a service center open until Monday morning to check it out/fix under warranty. :(

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can bring the battery to AutoZone/Advance/etc. and they can charge it up for you and test it. It may just be run down and need a charge or at least they can try to put a charge into it so you can start it. You can bring it to the dealer on Monday, and they can test it.

JustB
03-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Thank you for the tip, but I really think the battery has just had it. This happened to me last February as well, though that was likely due to cold weather after I left it at an airport. This time it hesitated starting yesterday morning (took 3 tries before it would start, 45 degrees in the garage) then started fine the other 6 times I started it, even after very short trips. So it seems like it will hold a charge for a while, but once it sits for 12-14 hours, the charge is gone.

Dcsdreams
03-28-2015, 07:25 PM
To all of those with a battery drain problem. Just took my 500L to service 2 days ago to repair an unrelated issue, and the service advisor said they would also perform a software update to fix the battery drain problem. All Fiat service departments should have this information. The rrt listed on my service invoice is 15-019. Hope this helps.

jcsimon
08-27-2015, 12:41 PM
We had a similar problem. Coming back from vacation after two weeks, car did not start. No electronics and key got stuck in ignition. Jumped it, but was dead again the next day. AAA said Alternator. Towed to Fiat (as Fiat service was going to take 3 hours, we utilized AAA who came in 10 minutes). Ended up needing a module update. Can you believe that? Has been running fine ever since. Ask the shop about updating the module.

cmllr
08-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Had this happen as well, 19k miles - new battery and system flash and has been fine since. My studio said that the battery had a bad cell.

Slovakman
08-29-2015, 01:49 PM
A few months ago there was a software update done to my 500L to change how much current the battery was pulling when e car is just sitting. I wasn't having any issues with that, but my dealer said that it was a fairly common problem, which the software update would fix. I have let my car sit for a week at a time and have never had any problems. Check with your dealer about the software up date. I had also read or heard somewhere that the battery does drain more power when the car is sitting with the doors unlocked. Doesn't make sense, but I always lock mine when it is sitting, even in my driveway. Again, check with your dealer concerning the battery drain software update

DeSoulo
08-29-2015, 03:58 PM
I had this done long with my first oil change. I was allowed to read the TSB bulletin. I too was NOT having any battery drain issues.

The TSB said it only applies to vehicles with a build date prior to December 23 2014.

FiatCares
08-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to provide the TSB information for those with any questions!

TSB NUMBER: 08-012-15
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: February 10, 2015

SUBJECT: Intermittent Battery Drain

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves reprogramming the Body Control Module (BCM) with updated software.

MODELS:
2014 - 2015 (BF) Fiat 500L

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before December 23, 2014 (MDH 1223XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: A small number of customers may experience a battery drain after the vehicle sits for a long period of time.

CoachRick
08-31-2015, 12:18 PM
I wonder what the chances are of a '15L Lounge needing updates? At the rate DW is putting miles on(1600 in 4 weeks), I reckon I could wait until the first service to check. I'd hate for her to be stuck at 'the mall' at 10pm with a dead battery. Is this something I should address ASAP?...or should I just wait? I don't have the info at hand to find out the build date of our elle, IF that makes a difference. Thanks for the heads-up, y'all :)

dmhart
11-12-2015, 07:25 PM
I have had this happen twice, 2014 lounge with 6000 miles. I need to get it to the studio but its not close and I would have to sit and wait. As soon as health will let me I will make the appointment.

Is this mean I have ruined the battery?

Fiat500USA
11-12-2015, 08:15 PM
When you had to get jumped started did someone charge the battery back up? Batteries can usually be charged up and they are fine, but make sure your dealer checks it when you bring it in.

dmhart
11-13-2015, 11:06 AM
It never left the garage. I put the charger on it and walked away.
its now a garage queen.

I got the fog light/headlight update this should have been included since it was a known problem then.

Michael S Carbone
11-16-2015, 06:53 AM
I have the same car 500L. I had bring my car to the dealership. And they did not find anything wrong with the battery. But they did an software up date on the DC power system control system. The next morning the battery was dead. Now this was during the winter when it was 10 degrees in the morning. The problem is that the car is still "on" the GPS systems are still on ETC. But I have found just locking the car at the end of the day turns the car "off". You can see it when the dome lights, they dim much quickly. By doing this, I have not had any problems with the battery ever since.

FiatCares
11-16-2015, 12:15 PM
I have had this happen twice, 2014 lounge with 6000 miles. I need to get it to the studio but its not close and I would have to sit and wait. As soon as health will let me I will make the appointment.

Is this mean I have ruined the battery?

Hi dmhart,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Please keep us posted on what the studio says when you get a chance to have the vehicle looked at. If there's anything I can do to be of assistance at this time, let me know!

Providence
11-11-2017, 11:37 AM
I'm glad I found this thread and now I am going to bring it back to life. It's Saturday morning at 10 a.m., I'm on my way to work and I'm waiting in New York City for a jumpstart on my 2014 500L with 39K miles. The car started this morning, but I had to get gas and air, so when I stopped a second time to get air I couldn't start the car again. It just clicks when I try to start it, but lights and door locks work.

My battery is just out of warranty as of October. I haven't really had any other major problems with the battery. (However I have had 2 new transmissions on my 2014 500L.) I've left the car for up to 10 days in the cold and it started just fine in the past. Unfortunately, the trouble seems to have started with a malfunction in the "follow me" which started the battery drain. Right now it has 39,000 miles. Batteries usually last over 39K and also over 3 years, but maybe because the battery was defective to begin with according to some of the posts, I should just get a new one.

Any suggestions on what battery I should put in. I don't want to have to go to the Fiat dealer in Manhattan where they charge roughly $200 an hour for labor. I do have an extended warranty but it doesn't cover the battery so if they look at the car and it turns out it's the battery I have to pay. If it's not the battery and it's some kind of connector or other error that's covered, that's a different story. Thanks in advance for any advice suggestions

Fiat500USA
11-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Autozone or Advance Auto usually put batteries in for free. Batteries can fail fo many reasons. What usually happens if the cables are not corroded (which is a major source of battery / charging issues) is the battery has sat under full charge for a while (many times from not being used, or just normal day to day using the radio with the car off or lights being left on, etc.) and the battery deteriorates and eventually fails prematurely. A fully charged battery is ~12.6 volts, but if a battery is 12.1 volts you will probably not notice it, but that is considered 50% discharged. A battery that sits under 90% discharged for a period of time can begin the sulfation process and by the time you notice it, it is too late. Many times the car will start when left overnight or when you go out to lunch, but on the return trip the car won't start. This is because the battery will generate a charge when left unused overnight or for a few hours, but when trying to restart immediately after turning off, the battery is too weak. Leaving the car sit overnight and the process is restarted - car starts in the morning.

The bottom line is to always make sure the terminals are clean and tight and have the battery occasionally checked to see if it is below full strength. If it is, charging the battery up to full charge is the best way to guarantee a battery that last a long time. It can be inconvenient to do this, but like most things, extra care pays dividends. Advance and Autozone charge batteries for free, too. I would hit them up for a battery. Good luck.

Providence
11-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Autozone or Advance Auto usually put batteries in for free. Batteries can fail fo many reasons. What usually happens if the cables are not corroded (which is a major source of battery / charging issues) is the battery has sat under full charge for a while (many times from not being used, or just normal day to day using the radio with the car off or lights being left on, etc.) and the battery deteriorates and eventually fails prematurely. A fully charged battery is ~12.6 volts, but if a battery is 12.1 volts you will probably not notice it, but that is considered 50% discharged. A battery that sits under 90% discharged for a period of time can begin the sulfation process and by the time you notice it, it is too late. Many times the car will start when left overnight or when you go out to lunch, but on the return trip the car won't start. This is because the battery will generate a charge when left unused overnight or for a few hours, but when trying to restart immediately after turning off, the battery is too weak. Leaving the car sit overnight and the process is restarted - car starts in the morning.

The bottom line is to always make sure the terminals are clean and tight and have the battery occasionally checked to see if it is below full strength. If it is, charging the battery up to full charge is the best way to guarantee a battery that last a long time. It can be inconvenient to do this, but like most things, extra care pays dividends. Advance and Autozone charge batteries for free, too. I would hit them up for a battery. Good luck.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I took the car to Firestone and yes I need a new battery. Firestone is probably more expensive than AutoZone, but I used them for my tires and I like them and I trust them. And at least they're cheaper than the dealer when it comes to labor.

CoachRick
11-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the thorough reply. I took the car to Firestone and yes I need a new battery. Firestone is probably more expensive than AutoZone, but I used them for my tires and I like them and I trust them. And at least they're cheaper than the dealer when it comes to labor.
Wow, sounds like you have one of the very few highly-rated Firestone locations! Well done!

Providence
05-23-2018, 09:57 PM

An update to my Battery issue in my 2014 500L Trekking with 42K and some advice needed please. Not sure if I should start a new thread.

Dead Battery-Is It The Alternator or a module or the software update dealer performed March 31?

After reading and getting advice from this thread I got a an Interstate battery 6 months ago with a warranty through Firestone. After sitting for 6 days the battery took a while to turnover and then died twice, but was able to take jumps and run. Then driving on the highway it went into limp mode. The tow truck operators and cops who stopped to help said it was probably the alternator. Mopar roadside towed it to the dealer I always go to. That dealer charges me $280 for the car check and tells me it's the battery and that they won't and/or can't check the alternator because "it's the battery" and I owe them $280.
1)With all the problems these 2014 500L's have (I'm on my 3rd transmission) it makes sense that it's not the battery. Does anyone have additional experience or with this issue.
Thanks!

Mama's Leadfoot
10-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Have had my 2017 500L for only about 5 weeks (bought used with 19k mi). Is this battery issue an ongoing problem with newer models? Our cars sit for several days at a time without being run. Does it pull a lot of energy while sitting? (I turn off everything before shutting down a vehicle but I don't always lock the car.) Our parking location is not an easy spot for a jump or a tow, so if this is an issue, I may want to get a charger.

Fiat500USA
10-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Have had my 2017 500L for only about 5 weeks (bought used with 19k mi). Is this battery issue an ongoing problem with newer models? Our cars sit for several days at a time without being run. Does it pull a lot of energy while sitting? (I turn off everything before shutting down a vehicle but I don't always lock the car.) Our parking location is not an easy spot for a jump or a tow, so if this is an issue, I may want to get a charger.

Sorry to hear that. The first thing to do is to have your battery tested. If you go to an Autozone/Advance type place have them test it a couple of time in a row and check to see how much the state of battery charge percentage drops because if they just test it just once it could give a false positive. If the percent of charge drops drastically, your battery is no good.

If the battery test Good, but not near 100% it would be a good idea to get your battery charged up to 100%. Whenever you buy a car, it is always a good idea to check your battery as the car could have sat around on the lot unused for a while and the battery could be run down. If a battery sits around for a while undercharged it can deteriorate (see the post below) and be on the way out. That's likely what is happening. If your battery went dead or is weak it needs to be put on a charger. Driving the car around to charge it is not recommended because an alternator isn't made to charge up a dead battery, and you likely are not getting the battery up to 100%. It is also puts a stain on the alternator, which isn't a good thing.

Best thing is to drop the battery off to get charged or buy a decent battery charger and get your battery up to 100%. Then take it from there. You could also test the car to make sure there isn't something that is drawing your battery down while the car sits.

If it were me, I would charge the battery up to 100%. If the problem came back I would buy a new battery, especially if the car sat around not being used before you got it. If I had the problem again, I would test for a draw. Alternatively, you could have the car tested now for a draw for peace of mind.

Keep in mind, cars that sit around need their battery tested regularly because all the electronics on modern cars can drain the the battery. That will eventually damage the battery if it is left discharged. My Abarth sits around for 4 months out of the year and I am still on the original battery 6 1/2 years later, largely due to me occasionally testing my battery and not letting the battery charge get low (under~85-90 %).

Good luck and let us know.