PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Fiat will be redesigning the armrest on the Sport?

fiatgal
03-02-2014, 11:24 AM
So about a month ago, the top padded part of my armrest just snapped off: all the little cheap plastic snaps broke off. May have been because the temps were so cold, but still, a little annoying that I hardly touched it and it broke.

The bad news is that what should be a 20$ part, turns into a really expensive part because they have to replace the whole seat! The good news is that it's under warranty. That said, if it broke off this easily now, surely it will break off again, soon, when my car is no longer under warranty. Not at all looking forward to that.

Why can't Fiat replace just the armrest part as they do for some of their models? Why is it that they have to reorder the whole seat? Is there any chance that Fiat is rethinking this armrest? :banghead:

I know some people here don't like the armrest. I actually do...

zvez
03-02-2014, 11:57 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to remove the armrest.

I wonder if it's a replace the whole seat thing because of the seat airbags? Surely it's a simple matter of unbolting the armrest.

So about a month ago, the top padded part of my armrest just snapped off: all the little cheap plastic snaps broke off. May have been because the temps were so cold, but still, a little annoying that I hardly touched it and it broke.

The bad news is that what should be a 20$ part, turns into a really expensive part because they have to replace the whole seat! The good news is that it's under warranty. That said, if it broke off this easily now, surely it will break off again, soon, when my car is no longer under warranty. Not at all looking forward to that.

Why can't Fiat replace just the armrest part as they do for some of their models? Why is it that they have to reorder the whole seat? Is there any chance that Fiat is rethinking this armrest? :banghead:

I know some people here don't like the armrest. I actually do...

fiatgal
03-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Right! The airbag issue.

But like you, I don't understand why they can't just unbolt the armrest part and replace with a new one. Better yet, make better snaps on that top padded part and replace just that! Why should something so inexpensive turn into a huge expense, especially when it breaks off because it's cheaply made, not because the driver is jumping up and down on it out of sheer glee. I mean, we all know it's fun driving this car, but I haven't gone to such excesses, yet.

What really confuses me is that I see pages like this (http://www.mopar.com/fiat/500c/2012/shop/332882/30/3120/) where the armrest clearly seems to be independent of the seat. When it breaks off again, why on earth will I have to purchase a whole new seat is beyond me!

mneuman916
03-02-2014, 12:21 PM
The reason that the seat frame is replaced is because they beefed up the mounting for the armrest itself. People (myself included) were breaking the armrest by leaning too much on it. The replacement armrest will not fit on the old mounting post, which is why there is a need to replace the frame.

I've been trying to figure out how to remove the armrest.

There is a clip that needs to be removed. If you lay across your passenger seat and push the seat material away from the armrest you will see what I mean.

fiatgal
03-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Ah! Thank you for that info. This makes sense. Also explains why it's taking so long to get here.

So does this mean (hopefully) that IF it breaks again, I will only have to replace the armrest itself, not the whole seat frame?

mneuman916
03-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Ah! Thank you for that info. This makes sense. Also explains why it's taking so long to get here.

So does this mean (hopefully) that IF it breaks again, I will only have to replace the armrest itself, not the whole seat frame?

No problem... when I had my Sport it took about 6 weeks for the parts to come it. Though it was right as the change was taking place.

Yes, it's a one time thing replacing the frame.

fiatgal
03-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Yay! Feel so much better now. One less item to worry about!!

Also, so glad the top padded part broke off while still under warranty.

zvez
03-02-2014, 01:08 PM
thanks for the heads up. How hideous is the hole left with the armrest gone.

Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy to have an armrest on bucket seats (well very shallow bucket seats) on an enthusiast hot hatch type car?

The reason that the seat frame is replaced is because they beefed up the mounting for the armrest itself. People (myself included) were breaking the armrest by leaning too much on it. The replacement armrest will not fit on the old mounting post, which is why there is a need to replace the frame.

There is a clip that needs to be removed. If you lay across your passenger seat and push the seat material away from the armrest you will see what I mean.

fiatgal
03-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Did you already remove the armrest?

From what I've read, I don't think you are the only one who thinks that. Personally, I love how it's designed to be at the perfect angle while holding the stick shift. So, I like it, but I can see how others might find it superfluous...

Evogelion
03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
My arm rest is worthless, my shoulders are just to broad to make use of the arm rest unless I lean left some how.

rustbucket
03-02-2014, 03:06 PM
My arm rest is worthless, my shoulders are just to broad to make use of the arm rest unless I lean left some how.

... +1. The passenger side armrest on the 2014's is just about in the right spot for drivers our size.

shadyabarth
03-02-2014, 06:40 PM
It would be nice if someone would fabricate/sell an armrest delete cap for those like me who want to Eliminate the armest...

Thunderbolt
03-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Ha, I was just thinking about that yesterday, as a buddy owns a CNC shop. The only time I touch my armrest is when a passenger knocks it down, and then I have to push it back into the upper position.

Somebody should tell Fiat that they can eliminate the expense of the armrest, and still sell the car for the same price.

Tweak
03-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Personally I just put it up as I exit the car and down upon entering and have never comes close to breaking it, it's become as much a habit as turning on Sport mode. What some have done is put a small rubber cap over the piece that remains when the armrest is removed.

A nice alternative is the Wood Company center console (http://www.woodcompany.com/fiat_500.htm).

mneuman916
03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
A nice alternative is the Wood Company center console (http://www.woodcompany.com/fiat_500.htm).

(Shudders) Looks like it was ripped right from a 90's Pontiac....

zvez
03-02-2014, 08:16 PM
I think I'd rather leave the factory arm rest in.............ycccccccch that's not terribly attractive.

They also offer very nice rubber floor mats as well! :)

Personally I just put it up as I exit the car and down upon entering and have never comes close to breaking it, it's become as much a habit as turning on Sport mode. What some have done is put a small rubber cap over the piece that remains when the armrest is removed.

Tweak
03-02-2014, 08:23 PM
(Shudders) Looks like it was ripped right from a 90's Pontiac....

Several people have bought it and had nothing but good to say about it and once installed it interested a lot of people so to each their own, I have no issue with the factory arm rest.

mneuman916
03-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Several people have bought it and had nothing but good to say about it and once installed it interested a lot of people so to each their own, I have no issue with the factory arm rest.

You really need to work on the run on sentence thing... :-P

Evogelion
03-02-2014, 09:29 PM

I like it, it be handy to have imo...

Tweak
03-02-2014, 09:46 PM
You really need to work on the run on sentence thing... :-P

Not really, I did use a coma...lol. Besides, I don't really think that counts as a legit "run on sentence".

I like it, it be handy to have imo...

Glad someone found the info useful.

mneuman916
03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Not really, I did use a coma...lol. Besides, I don't really think that counts as a legit "run on sentence".

Normal sentence: There have been quite a few that have enjoyed this product.

Tweak sentence: There have been many excluding a few that have enjoyed though some have expressed displeasure in this however most have enjoyed and I have found that the majority enjoy despite the minority that thinks otherwise. Welcome to the forum.

:rofl:

Tweak
03-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Normal sentence: There have been quite a few that have enjoyed this product.

Tweak sentence: There have been many excluding a few that have enjoyed though some have expressed displeasure in this however most have enjoyed and I have found that the majority enjoy despite the minority that thinks otherwise. Welcome to the forum.

:rofl:

So I have the ability to express a more complete thought, go enjoy some more Miley...lol. :p

Abarth619
03-02-2014, 10:55 PM
I just bought the Wood Co. armrest literally 15 mins ago. I ended up getting one that extends with black leather and red stitching. I'm hoping its nicely made, though it does look pretty solid from what I've seen. I'm pretty excited about adding some much needed storage space to my car.

Tweak
03-02-2014, 11:35 PM
I just bought the Wood Co. armrest literally 15 mins ago. I ended up getting one that extends with black leather and red stitching. I'm hoping its nicely made, though it does look pretty solid from what I've seen. I'm pretty excited about adding some much needed storage space to my car.

I imagine you'll like it, many do although some obviously dislike the looks according to the posts above. :hopelessness:

Abarth619
03-03-2014, 10:02 AM
I imagine you'll like it, many do although some obviously dislike the looks according to the posts above. :hopelessness: Tweak, when I post pics of it installed and matching my interior nicely, I'm sure they'll eat their words lol.

Tweak
03-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Tweak, when I post pics of it installed and matching my interior nicely, I'm sure they'll eat their words lol.

I imagine so, oddly many people like them when people post them on the forums showing them installed. Guess out of the car they just look odd or something.

zvez
03-03-2014, 05:03 PM
I see the same company has side armrests that fit to the door. They have several options of fabric, I'd love to eliminate the canvas type material on the door panel. Have done/seen this tweak?

Tweak
03-03-2014, 06:54 PM
I see the same company has side armrests that fit to the door. They have several options of fabric, I'd love to eliminate the canvas type material on the door panel. Have done/seen this tweak?

I hadn't noticed them nor have I done them myself, guess it would help to keep down the wear on the interior but I suspect someone could make something like it cheaply.

Macchina Divertente
03-04-2014, 01:52 PM
thanks for the heads up. How hideous is the hole left with the armrest gone.

Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy to have an armrest on bucket seats (well very shallow bucket seats) on an enthusiast hot hatch type car?

It would be nice if someone would fabricate/sell an armrest delete cap for those like me who want to Eliminate the armest...

Ha, I was just thinking about that yesterday, as a buddy owns a CNC shop. The only time I touch my armrest is when a passenger knocks it down, and then I have to push it back into the upper position.

Somebody should tell Fiat that they can eliminate the expense of the armrest, and still sell the car for the same price.

Both myself and my Wife find the armrest in our 500 POP the most irritating thing about the car.
A decent looking cap to put in it's place when removed would be very welcome.

garygx
03-16-2014, 03:22 AM
Did you install it yet? Did you order it direct from Italy? Being shipped from there?
Look forward to seeing it.

Gary

2012 Fiat 500 Sport Grigio

garygx
03-16-2014, 03:25 AM
Does anyone know about this armrest option?

http://eupartzone.com/online-store/2011-2014-fiat-500-specific-armrest/