PDA

View Full Version : Short Ram Intake vs. Cold Air Intake

CoffeeAddict
02-28-2014, 03:39 PM
When it comes to the N/A motor is there going to be much performance difference between a short ram intake and a cold air intake? It seems like the short ram is a little cheaper and you don't have to worry about water or anything else getting into the engine. Just curious if anyone has tried both and actually noticed a performance difference?

Thanks!

lammie200
02-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Do you need an intake with CARB certification to pass your state's smog requirements?

CoffeeAddict
02-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Nope, I use to live in California but now Texas so don't have to worry about that any longer :)

lammie200
02-28-2014, 05:55 PM
I haven't tried both, but there are quite a few people on these boards that have short rams and have cut in hood scoops as well. I don't know if they did that out of necessity because these engine bays can get pretty hot, or they just wanted to do it.

I will say that if money is a concern, just a decent drop in replacement filter might be your best bet. I might have gone that route myself except that I thought installing a CAI on these things would only be about a 30 minute task. I was wrong for a variety of reasons.

babelhoo
02-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Hi, initially I used a K&N replacement for the original filter box, didn't noticed any difference at all, not even in sound.
Then after a few months a friend who had a Sport and upgraded to an Abarth, passed the goodies to me, among those RRM short intake... love it! GREAT sound, initially I just revved it like crazy the first days I got it just to enjoy it! we tested it on a dyno and we did see extra HPs and more importantly, torque gains.
I already posted this dyno sheet, but just in case, this is our own run, not from RRM's site. The standard is run 004 (blue), 010 (green) is with RRM's intake (not related to the post, the last run is with the timing controller, which yielded no much gain for us, just a little between 3000 and 4500rpm, not sure if it has to do with the different gas we have here, different tune.. not sure)

http://imageshack.com/a/img703/5649/3tjk.jpg
The power figures are in HP to the wheels, the torque ones are in Kgm (sorry, we use metric here!)

CoffeeAddict
02-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Interesting, I wonder if its all replacement filters or just the K&N that's not effective. Those numbers don't look too bad considering how much the short intakes cost and difficulty with installation.

The Cold Air Intakes seem like a big pain to install, especially where you have to go under your car and hook it up and bolt it in... and I wonder how much more HP can be expected. I heard the Mopar CAI gives you 6 HP but most of the others don't seem to specify the gains you'd get?