PDA

View Full Version : Replace Front Bumper Brackets

boostaddict
02-01-2014, 11:10 AM
I decided to take some pictures and document the replacement of the two front bumper brackets. These brackets are made of plastic and tend to break and are held in by two rivets, see diagram below (#4). :banghead:

I will update this thread with all the tools and parts you need to do this job by yourself. My dealership has ordered the new rivets and will be here Tuesday.
The parts guy did not know what size or what kind of rivet's they are so to be safe I ordered some. So depending on the weather I should have this done sometime next week.

Parts

The right hand side is part number # 68074194AB.
The left hand side is part number # 68074195AB.

That ugly gap we want to get rid of!

After this I will tackle the driver side skirt problem. :thumbsup:

Crossfirecat
02-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Sub'd

msjulie33
02-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Mine had a gap like that; the tech's solution was to remove the bumper cover and bend some side bracket(s)... hmm. Seemed to work I guess... your idea sounds a bit more professional

boostaddict
02-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Mine had a gap like that; the tech's solution was to remove the bumper cover and bend some side bracket(s)... hmm. Seemed to work I guess... your idea sounds a bit more professional

was the bracket broken or you just saw the gap and had em fix it? thanks for the input

msjulie33
02-01-2014, 08:22 PM
They said the tech adjusted the gap out by bending some small bracket - so no I didn't see what they actually did... taking their word on it... are the brackets you show above located right near the edge where the gap is? Like where #1 is?

boostaddict
02-02-2014, 08:32 AM
They said the tech adjusted the gap out by bending some small bracket - so no I didn't see what they actually did... taking their word on it... are the brackets you show above located right near the edge where the gap is? Like where #1 is?

Yeah the bracket is located right above the gap.I wish I could bend plastic when it's 30 degrees out. Hey as long as it looks good thats all that matters!

msjulie33
02-02-2014, 12:26 PM
In a different picture I saw what looked like a metal tab, on the fender I think, where this bracket might attach - perhaps that's what they 'adjusted' ... I wonder if I can tell on the car..

SeaDawg
02-02-2014, 01:22 PM
That ugly gap we want to get rid of!

After this I will tackle the driver side skirt problem. :thumbsup:

Looks like your Abarth has the same affliction mine does. I thought my Abarth front end looked strange compared to my Sport and your picture just confirmed my suspicions. Back to the LS this coming week.

The LS tried removing the skirt and retaping it, but I noticed it's started to pull the new tape away already. And while it's been in the 30's few days in the last month, Giorgio sits in a garage so it isn't the temperature causing the skirt to separate. The Sport had the same problem but at least it was due to damage from either transport or factory. Grrrrrr...

boostaddict
02-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Looks like your Abarth has the same affliction mine does. I thought my Abarth front end looked strange compared to my Sport and your picture just confirmed my suspicions. Back to the LS this coming week.

The LS tried removing the skirt and retaping it, but I noticed it's started to pull the new tape away already. And while it's been in the 30's few days in the last month, Giorgio sits in a garage so it isn't the temperature causing the skirt to separate. The Sport had the same problem but at least it was due to damage from either transport or factory. Grrrrrr...

Has the bumper ever been removed? I had to remove my bumper to install the FMIC and it was cold out and I broke one of the plastic tab's on the bracket. They are riveted in so I'm sure the LS will try everything else first before replacing them. The skirts seem to be a known problem with these cars, I'm having the same issue on my driver side.

boostaddict
02-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Rivet's came in today, waiting for some good weather. We are suppose to get another storm tonight! dealer ordered some extras just in case ;)

boostaddict
02-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Guys I just finished this today and came out awesome. When I get some time I will upload the photo's. No more gaps! my ocd is happy.

boostaddict
02-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Step 1: Drill out old rivets using 9/64 drill bit

Step 2: Remove old rivets

Step 3: Install new bracket w/ new rivets using rivet gun ($19 at Sears)

Done

Abarth Five O
02-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Any tips u can give us when removing the front bumper to avoid breaking the plastic tabs? Thanks

boostaddict
02-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Any tips u can give us when removing the front bumper to avoid breaking the plastic tabs? Thanks

Heat in between the bumper/fender with hair dryer. This works for me.

I got lucky and only had to replace the passenger side.

When installing the bumper I found the only way to get them lined up correctly is to install the first clip on the bracket towards the headlight then it goes in perfect.

trevc
02-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Thank you! Looks good.

lillo24
02-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks . This is good to know.

Tweak
02-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Copied to the DIY area and stuck, thanks for your contribution to the community.

shagghie
07-17-2014, 05:34 PM
jsut a bump to say thank you. I had no idea you could order these parts, right down to larger rivets! Thank you so much!

Crossfirecat
07-17-2014, 11:35 PM
+1 Forgot about this thread! Glad it came up again as I've noticed the gap growing between my fender and front bumper over the past few months! Might as well do this when I swap in the 500T lights this week.

Abarth Five O
07-18-2014, 12:03 AM
Tweak, this thread should be made a sticky.

Tweak
07-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Tweak, this thread should be made a sticky.

Just checked...it already is.

Ducatirider94
01-07-2015, 02:17 PM
I've bought the brackets but haven't done it yet. Would love to see pictures but link is dead :(

boostaddict
01-07-2015, 03:00 PM
I've bought the brackets but haven't done it yet. Would love to see pictures but link is dead :(

did you get the rivets? My hard drive died and I lost the pics. drill out the old rivets, center the drill into the old rivets and drill until they break loose. use the rivet gun and put the new ones in.

Next time I take my bumper off i'll take some pics.

wookieda
03-30-2015, 12:48 PM
can someone tell me the part number for the rivets?