PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about upgrades

CoffeeAddict
02-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Hi All,

I just recently purchased a Fiat500 with my girlfriend. The car overall is pretty nice but the power delivery is a bit flat. I want to add a few upgrades to try and squeeze a little more power out while not breaking the bank. Here is where the questions roll in:

1) Is the Cold Air Intake the first thing I should do? If so, if I get a Mopar CAI does it matter if its dealer installed or not in regards to breaking a warranty?

2) I read something about a GoPedal? Are these safe? It seems kind of dangerous like it could cause loss of acceleration or vice versa.

3) Does an exhaust actually make any difference considering the low HP output in this car?

4) Re-Flash - This would probably void the warranty? I read someone advising against doing a re-flash but they didn't say why

Anything else I should look into? I'm guessing there are no low-output turbo or superchargers available? I wouldn't want to have to spend a ton on one and also changing the rest of the internals.

Thanks!

lammie200
02-23-2014, 11:53 PM
I would do these in this order:

1. Go-pedal. It is not dangerous. It is essential to getting any feel out of the accelerator pedal.
2. Road Race Motorsports Timing Controller. It is a very easy mod and takes the tepidness out of the torque.
3. Intake & exhaust. Doing one without the other won't do much. That said, you can do the intake for $60 USD by just changing out the filter to a BMC or Competizione. You can do any number of muffler mods or do the whole system with something like a Magnaflow. You should net more power and acceleration by changing out the intake and exhaust. If nothing else you should get better responsiveness out of the drivetrain.
4. There is no reflash for a non turbo 500 currently. There may be one in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath. A reflash that allows for the stock tune to be retained should not void your warranty unless you blow up your engine and can't return to the stock tune to get your car serviced.
5. Forget turbo or super charging the normally aspirated engine. Not really possible without ruining your life in a multitude of ways.
6. You can install any mod yourself and still retain the factory warranty on the car. That is provided the mod itself didn't cause the problem in need of repair. Problems that are caused by mods generally are not covered under warranty.

BTW, congrats on the 500. Hope you enjoy it.

Evogelion
02-24-2014, 12:01 AM
4. There is no reflash for a non turbo 500 currently. There may be one in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath. A reflash that allows for the stock tune to be retained should not void your warranty unless you blow up your engine and can't return to the stock tune to get your car serviced.

You can see about getting a custom dyno tune done at a reputable shop once you get intake, exhaust and stuff.. I'm sure there are some places that might give you a break if you get a few more non turbo people interested in that.

Tweak
02-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Bananaclip
02-25-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm a new 500 sport owner and am in the same boat as you. I have become obsessed with this little car. It's so much fun to drive in stock form I cannot wait to add mods. I just picked up a take off abarth suspension from the board. This is my first mod. I plan on doing the light weight pulley combo, a rear bar, intake, and piece together an exhaust. Full systems are a bit pricey, so I'm going to pick up a ss magnaflow oval muffler and have my buddy at the exhaust shop work me up a cat back.

LuckyJayRRM
02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Our Timing controller will give you a good start, combined with intake/exhaust and you're off to a GREAT start! We should have our lightweight pulley for the non-turbo soon!

Nero12
02-25-2014, 09:08 PM
The timing controller is a very nice piece. Seems to idle a lot smoother too. I got the Mpx underdrive pulley for the non turbo and it seems to do pretty good. Also got the muffler delete and the Competizione cold air intake (cant tell its there with the factory engine cover on). The Go Pedal is my favorite mod along with the Neuf short throw adapter. May have broke the bank with all my mods though :wavey:

MADNESSJoseph
02-25-2014, 09:27 PM
First off CONGRATS on the new ride! :clap:

As you'll hear the MADNESS GoPedal is always a fan favorite to help eliminate that lag feeling you have when pressing on the gas. Whats nice about this upgrade is that it comes with a 30day money back guarantee so you can make 100% sure this is the right fit for you! We also carry the MPx Lightweight Pulley Kit for the non-turbo model and have a variety of intakes to choose from as well. Please feel free to reach out if you happen to have any questions and I'll be more than happy to help you out personally! jreyes@madnessautoworks.com or 562-981-6800 ext 108

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY! ;)

CoffeeAddict
02-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys for all of the ideas, I wasn't expecting to receive so much help.. definitely appreciate you all taking the time to give me some ideas.

So I guess I'll be starting off with the Go Pedal and Timing Controller. I was actually checking out some of the Madness exhaust products, I was just curious if they offer better flow and if there is any estimate on how much HP I'd gain with a CAI installed? I'm guessing the number would be fairly low with the 6-8 HP that comes from the CAI but at a car this light every bit is going to make a much bigger difference than on a heavier car I'd assume. I was even thinking about removing the back seats but not sure how much they weigh and it would be worth it?

Nero, Lammie or anyone who has a N/A engine, did you notice some difference when it came to acceleration with the mods installed? When Sport mode is on it feels like first gear isn't too bad but it seems like when trying to accelerate onto a freeway or go around someone is when the power is lacking. Fortunately I like to drive manual so I don't mind having to downshift a lot :)

Tweak
02-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys for all of the ideas, I wasn't expecting to receive so much help.. definitely appreciate you all taking the time to give me some ideas.

So I guess I'll be starting off with the Go Pedal and Timing Controller. I was actually checking out some of the Madness exhaust products, I was just curious if they offer better flow and if there is any estimate on how much HP I'd gain with a CAI installed? I'm guessing the number would be fairly low with the 6-8 HP that comes from the CAI but at a car this light every bit is going to make a much bigger difference than on a heavier car I'd assume. I was even thinking about removing the back seats but not sure how much they weigh and it would be worth it?

Nero, Lammie or anyone who has a N/A engine, did you notice some difference when it came to acceleration with the mods installed? When Sport mode is on it feels like first gear isn't too bad but it seems like when trying to accelerate onto a freeway or go around someone is when the power is lacking. Fortunately I like to drive manual so I don't mind having to downshift a lot :)

Rear seats are 47-50lbs or so roughly (leather) and the space and added sound makes it a great option. LOVE mine, helps my car was used for the prototype of course as price or lack of makes everything nicer...hehe. ;) Enjoy the forum!

I have said it a LOT over the years and a lot of people here recently were discussing this as well, brakes are cheaper than transmissions so many people are downshifting a lot less with their 500, just figured I would toss out that bit of info as well.

lammie200
02-26-2014, 01:09 PM
...did you notice some difference when it came to acceleration with the mods installed?...

I did for sure. I feel as though I can keep up with traffic easily and most times it is the traffic that is keeping up with me! My MO is Go-pedal set to full blast, Sport mode on and Autostick engaged. It may sound radical, but it really just makes the car more responsive without being out of control. (Which, by the way, is probably impossible to make happen.) It is a blast. I just want to add that suspension mods also help inspire confidence to pass other cars, cut them off, etc. :) My only regret so far is that I have a heavy car. Child seat, bike hitch, etc.

Nero12
02-26-2014, 08:43 PM
My brother in law noticed a big difference. He just bought a new Pop and we went out to some curvy back road. After a bit I let him take mine for a spin with the mods and he said there was a huge difference in the way the car reacts and feels a lot stronger all through the power range

CoffeeAddict
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Tweak, I'm a little bit dyslexic when it comes to upshifting and downshifting, I meant to say upshifting. Totally agree about the brakes and transmission.. my buddy downshifts all the time to slow down and I keep telling him he's going to regret it one day :)

Lammie and Nero, thanks for the info, I'm very determined to get those mods soon.. can't wait to get started. Any idea how many miles I should wait before adding mods? I have about 300 on the car at the moment.

Tweak
02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Tweak, I'm a little bit dyslexic when it comes to upshifting and downshifting, I meant to say upshifting. Totally agree about the break and transmission.. my buddy downshifts all the time to slow down and I keep telling him he's going to regret it one day :)

Lammie and Nero, thanks for the info, I'm very determined to get those mods soon.. can't wait to get started. Any idea how many miles I should wait before adding mods? I have about 300 on the car at the moment.

Right on, no worries just offering friendly advice! As for the mods, 301 miles seems like an excellent starting point...hehe. ;) I've had many things on mine since somewhere under 1K and am now at 17,250 or so a bit over a year later.

s2foster
04-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Kind of new to all this, so appreciate your understanding. I have a 2012 500 Lounge with the Mopar CAI. I am still pretty dissatisfied with the torque, HP and general responsiveness. I am not looking to go crazy or race or anything. Just want some more oomph without spending a lot of money. All I am really looking for is something that responds more like the 500L, so nothing ridiculous. Is the Go Pedal something that will do this? Since I don't really know what I am talking about, I might as well ask those that do: how does adjusting the responsiveness of the pedal change the torque put out by the engine? How complicated is the install? Is there something else I should consider (other than buying a different car?!)

Thanks in advance for the advice...!

lammie200
04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Kind of new to all this, so appreciate your understanding. I have a 2012 500 Lounge with the Mopar CAI. I am still pretty dissatisfied with the torque, HP and general responsiveness. I am not looking to go crazy or race or anything. Just want some more oomph without spending a lot of money. All I am really looking for is something that responds more like the 500L, so nothing ridiculous. Is the Go Pedal something that will do this? Since I don't really know what I am talking about, I might as well ask those that do: how does adjusting the responsiveness of the pedal change the torque put out by the engine? How complicated is the install? Is there something else I should consider (other than buying a different car?!)

The Go-pedal will take the mushy slop out of the accelerator pedal which is why I bought mine. It will not do anything for actual acceleration or torque. The Road Race timing controller will get you more torque, but to take full advantage of it you need to have a decent intake and exhaust. The Mopar CAI is supposed to be decent. Might even work better if you replace the snorkel fitting with just a silicone hose coupler. The snorkel probably causes some turbulence. There are many alternatives for exhausts. Some are just pretty easy plug and plays like the Mopar muffler. Some are full systems like the Magnaflow 15088 that I have. My own feeling is that you won't get much from a muffler change, but a full system will net some gains.

Installing a Go-pedal is super easy except for the position that you need to get in to reach the fitting on top of the accelerator pedal. Once you figure it out it takes 20 seconds to unplug things and plug the Go-pedal inline. Actually the same is true for the timing controller except that goes in the engine bay whereas the Go-pedal goes inside the cabin right on top of the accelerator pedal. Super easy plug and play.

MADNESS Kevin
04-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Just like lammie200 stated, the GOPedal will be a great modification to get rid of that initial lag by advancing the throttle timing and this throttle control signal amplifier can be installed with little time and basic tools. Allowing you to adjust to different modes and power curves.

The MADNESS GOPedal paired with your CAI will increase responsiveness without having to break the bank.

Also, the Magnaflow 15088 that lammie200 currently is running will get you some gains as well. Known to give noticeable difference tq and hp throughout the power band and a big difference from the stock exhaust system.

Isuzuperforma
04-14-2014, 01:45 AM
Hello there...can you feel me in on this go petal thing? Is it beneficial for manual 500T too? I also want to find a place that offers the mods mentioned on this thread. Can someone point me in right direction?

Thanks...
TC

Tweak
04-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Hello there...can you feel me in on this go petal thing? Is it beneficial for manual 500T too? I also want to find a place that offers the mods mentioned on this thread. Can someone point me in right direction?

Thanks...
TC

The go pedal adjusts the throttle input making it feel more responsive and with 18 levels of adjustment. For that and other mods mentioned checkout the Vendor section of the forum and you will find Eurocompulsion, NGEN, RRM and Madness as well as others like AAD and ATM all offering a lot of great mods. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.

lammie200
04-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Being I am not mech minded does anyone have any dyno results that prove this amount of hp and that amount of tq?

Which mod(s) are you talking about?

Tweak
04-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Being I am not mech minded does anyone have any dyno results that prove this amount of hp and that amount of tq?

Which mod(s) are you talking about?

What lammie said...

The pedal mod does not add actual HP but it changes the responsiveness of the input from the throttle just to be clear.

lammie200
04-14-2014, 11:16 PM
...Any idea how many miles I should wait before adding mods? I have about 300 on the car at the moment.

...As for the mods, 301 miles seems like an excellent starting point...hehe. ;)...

I agree with Tweak. I started at about 500 miles. Hope to stop soon. Nothing left to do.

abarth500caz
04-17-2014, 05:24 PM
I am trying to decide between putting a K&N air filter in the stock intake system vs. the injen sp5033blk2 cold air intake system. Given the low risk of hitting deep water in AZ except during a monsoon, the low placement of the air filter seems best to get cold air into the turbo. The tube is large and unrestricted and goes down the right side of the car (looking at the car from the front bumper). The myriad of intake systems that place the filter beside or in the back of the engine seem to not make sense unless I am missing something because of the heat generated by the surrounding engine parts. I am not going for looks, just using risk/ benefit analysis and cost effectiveness. I amlooking at the stock intake efficiency increases with a better filter vs a bigger gain from CAI like the injen? I will put an exhaust system on later so any added benefits not realized now will be used later with an axel back system or magna flow system.

lammie200
04-17-2014, 05:49 PM
I am trying to decide ... cold air intake system. ... cold air into the turbo...

You might want to start asking around in the Abarth section about the intercooler situation on turbos if you have a turbo. As far as I know a CAI on a turbo doesn't do much, but the intake piping can be improved for better airflow.

Tweak
04-17-2014, 07:53 PM
I am trying to decide between putting a K&N air filter in the stock intake system vs. the injen sp5033blk2 cold air intake system. Given the low risk of hitting deep water in AZ except during a monsoon, the low placement of the air filter seems best to get cold air into the turbo. The tube is large and unrestricted and goes down the right side of the car (looking at the car from the front bumper). The myriad of intake systems that place the filter beside or in the back of the engine seem to not make sense unless I am missing something because of the heat generated by the surrounding engine parts. I am not going for looks, just using risk/ benefit analysis and cost effectiveness. I amlooking at the stock intake efficiency increases with a better filter vs a bigger gain from CAI like the injen? I will put an exhaust system on later so any added benefits not realized now will be used later with an axel back system or magna flow system.

Welcome to the forum.

Good advice from lammie.