PDA

View Full Version : Windshield

Wolfepaw
02-16-2014, 04:13 AM
I could swear I read on here about something that happened to me today. Just driving down the highway and I heard a pop and suddenly my windshield cracks. It wasn't a rock, I know that sound. The windshield just cracked, no reason.

evbruno
02-16-2014, 10:35 AM
I could swear I read on here about something that happened to me today. Just driving down the highway and I heard a pop and suddenly my windshield cracks. It wasn't a rock, I know that sound. The windshield just cracked, no reason.

Here are some other threads that mention windshields:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12290-500L-problems&highlight=Windshield

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12028-Crack-in-windshield-at-600-miles&highlight=Windshield

Rally500
06-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Hi I had the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago driving down highway no car in front and crack sound an 8 inch crack one shot on driver side at middle height .there s a small hole and the studio said that look like impact....
Did you got the same?did the studio helped ?
Thanks

babelhoo
06-26-2014, 09:52 AM
On the contrary I have been having a mixed luck with the 500's windshield; it seems to "attract" stones like crazy, at least 5 or 6 hit it with a big noise since I have it (in all my previous year with different cars I might have been hit in total these many times), but it never breaks! it does however has some small marks :(
With my previous car (an Audi A3), a stone cracked it, had it replaced by the insurance, the only time my ex A3 went to an official service :) only to be hit by another little stone a week later and it cracked! it seems the 500 is standing these much better.

rnddude
06-26-2014, 10:03 AM
I could swear I read on here about something that happened to me today. Just driving down the highway and I heard a pop and suddenly my windshield cracks. It wasn't a rock, I know that sound. The windshield just cracked, no reason.I would bet that there was a previously unnoticed small rock chip/pit in the windshield, just lurking there until conditions were right to let it propagate into a crack. You can check for this by running a ball point pen along the crack, and likely you will feel a spot where there is resistance, and that would be the pit that started it.

smark
06-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Usually there's a small chip. The flexing of the car, will cause a crack at the chip.

bryanintowson
06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
replaced my windshield last year. Saw the rock hit and watched the glass start to spiderweb the rest of the way home.

worst commute. ever.

mrdot
06-27-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm probably going to get Clearplex installed on my windshield to protect it while it's still in perfect shape. Sorry to hear about this.

Wolfepaw
07-02-2014, 08:58 PM
I may end up spending more on windshields than I paid for the car at this rate. Happened again yesterday. Out of the blue, multiple cracks starting from the bottom of the windshield on the left hand side. No rock hit me, nothing. That's two windshields in one year.

Rally500
07-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Hi everybody I showed my cracked windshield to an expert windshield installer which saw that my crack sticks out you can feel the gap with the finger so wide it is and he s pretty shure that something is pushing it behind,he wrote me a letter to show my studio,they gonna submit to Chrysler and see what s gonna happen.
I ll keep u posted

SeaDawg
07-15-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm so glad I have $0 deductible comprehensive insurance coverage! Not offered anymore. As long as this policy doesn't lapse, can transfer and coverage goes to new car.

Rally500
07-16-2014, 06:15 PM
It s very nice but the problem is something seen on other brands that they have all kinds of situations causing the crack so even if you replace the windshield free and you don t address the issue I'll crack again,on my other car vw jetta 2004,seven years ago they replace 3 windshields in 1 year till the found weld spot causing the crack since then I have still the same windshield and they removed 1 month ago to fix rust and put it back in place.

Antihistamine
07-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I didn't even notice my windshield had a tiny crack until i saw this thread.

MontybM3
08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
What has been the normal cost for replacing a windshield on a 500L?

Rally500
08-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Hi there,retail price in Canada Montreal 500 $ can. Before tax and installation original windshield

MontybM3
08-26-2014, 07:00 PM
The installer had to order one from Fiat its about two weeks out and going to cost $623.00 here in SoCal installed

MontybM3
10-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I am still WTG on Fiat to ship my new windshield, they say its on back order. The thing I can't understand is why? Manucfaturing of new 500L's is on hold, so replacements should be no problem.

roy23
10-01-2014, 03:38 PM
The installer had to order one from Fiat its about two weeks out and going to cost $623.00 here in SoCal installed

Holy S#%* $500 or $600 for a windshield.... I got mine replaced as it did a 15in. crack that started on the bottom of the passenger side..... It costs me $150 installed from local windshield repair guy

scap
10-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Holy S#%* $500 or $600 for a windshield.... I got mine replaced as it did a 15in. crack that started on the bottom of the passenger side..... It costs me $150 installed from local windshield repair guy

On a 500L? As far as I know there is no aftermarket glass available for the 500L yet which is common in the first few years of a new model car. Especially if the sales volume is not that attractive for the aftermarket glass manufacturers. Until then I think we are stuck with expensive factory windshields.

MontybM3
10-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I can understand the price and paying it is not the problem, I just want them to send the #@#*&% windshield this year.

MontybM3
10-21-2014, 11:23 AM
There is still no EDD on the windshield, it has been almost three months

cmd1172
04-15-2015, 12:22 AM
My 500L has a web working it's way across.
prices out there so far.
aftermarket, no rain sensor 229.00
no glass available aftermarket with rain sensor dealer only 650.00

What happens if you put the non sensor in place of the rain sensor one?

400 bucks for a ####ing rain sensor. That is Bull$##t.

X19
04-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Why do you need the rain sensor windshield? Unless you brought the car in from somewhere else (not US or Canada), our cars don't have the sensor/camera the large fritzed/blacked-out area has room for - no rain sensor, no City Brake (or whatever FIAT calls it).

carajean
04-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Right I thought only those over seas people got the rain sensing version???

cmd1172
04-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Follow up.
Turns out the big bulbous thing that blocks half the windshield is the Auto dimming rear view mirror sensor.

The cost of that windshield that matches, is around $650. This allows the mirror to mount with the sensor housing.
Part number 68263465AA

Seems nobody knew why or what that thing did or why it was so big.

Honestly I hate the thing, as it doesn't work well at all, at least in my opinion.

The best thing I found to do (at least for me) and if I can help someone else here it is.

If you get the windshield that cross references to part number 68236010AA, then get the factory mirror replacement, part number 5RC86MS7AA.
The cost is about 220. plus the 58 for the mirror. The wiring tucks into the head liner, as if it was never there.

Interestingly enough, the part for the windshield is the same for the newest Dodge Avenger. (that one confused me). Look at the pictures side by side.

NO insurance claim and saved a ton. NO distortion that I was hearing about.
And opened up a huge part of the windshield. Well worth it in my mind.

X19
04-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm still confused. I don't see any sign of a sensor in the blacked-out area on my 500L. I thought the mirror light sensors (two, forward- and rear-facing) were on the mirror itself.
I do agree that since NA cars don't utilize that huge sensor space (no CBC - City Brake Control, no rain or headlamp sensors), that it is dumb to have that giant bulbous thing there on our cars. When those are present, the black area has cutouts so the sensors can see out.
So does the Avenger windshield say Dodge, or FCA, or what on it?

cmd1172
04-17-2015, 04:27 PM
The shield that was installed is the brand Acoustic Shield. DOT-1005. FW-3743. I haven't been able to physically verify. But plan on it soon. It's got me way too Curious Not to check.

cmd1172
04-17-2015, 04:29 PM
The sensor doesn't look forward. It looks through a hole pointed down.inside the cab.